Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
serenity now
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting a bike plated out of state, anyone know the procedure? does it need to be inspected before i attempt to register it? do i go to the tax office first?

also, i might be getting another bike w/o a title, but w/ a bill of sale from this owner and a previous owner. anyone know how to get the title for it?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, to the inspection for out of state bike. You first need to get insurance on it. Second, get it inspected and ask for a 'green-sheet'. The green sheet is only $1.00 on top of the $12.50 for the inspection. The tax office will need that green sheet to register your bike in Texas.

Make sure that your tire's tread depth is more than 2/32 in it's most worn part of the tread and that the tires have no dry rot cracks exceeding 1 inch in length. Make sure that the high beam and low beam of headlight work, also brake light working on both brake levers, and you running light on brake light. If you have signals on it make sure they work, I sometimes can pass w/o them working as if you have no signals - this is legal. You need to have a liscense plate light working too. Some states don't require inspections so if you dont have a plate for the inpection sticker to go on some dealers/inspection places offer a free dealer add plate or a non-add plate for $3-$5. Double check the volume of the horn, if needed sometimes you can increase the loudness w/ the pitch screw on the horn - horn has to work good. Bike has to be able to come to a stop w/in 30' while going 20mph. Drive train must be sound, no chains about to fall off and no fluids coming off of forks onto your front brakes nor have any oil leak from engine coating you rear tire. Also make sure your brake rotors arn't too warped. Bike must run well w/o stalling all the time or just hitting on all but 1 or 2 cylindars. Bike must be soundly operable. The inspector must know the state it was last registered in for the green sheet as well.

Just some tips from me, a liscensed state inpector at Woods. Sorry, I don't know about title searches though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Excelent reply

Can the cool kids @ AF1 take care of this sticker or must I travel across the road to get this taken care of? Tell Ed and Micha that steed has longed for thier attention. PS do they need a couch / futon??? YES!!!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The titling is going to involve tracing it back to the last registered owner that is on the title. There is a process by which you can send paperwork by certified mail to the last title holder to get them to sign the necessary documents and I think I remember something about having to place an ad in the classifieds of 2 newspapers. If the letter gets returned, you take the unopened returned certified envelope along with the documentation you have and they can issue a new title. It helps to know somebody who has done this kinda thing before. Check around the salvage yards and with those who know about or who have ever taken ownership of a vehicle through a mechanic's lein.

·
Registered
604 Posts
JRG said:
. Bike must run well w/o stalling all the time or just hitting on all but 1 or 2 cylindars.
Just some tips from me, a liscensed state inpector at Woods. Sorry, I don't know about title searches though.
My bike only runs on two cylinders :( Maybe I should bring it by.

:laughing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts