Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be taking my motorcycle permit test here in a few days and I was wondering what kind of bike you guys think are the best. I am only 16 but I can easily stand up on it with both feet flat on the floor. I was thinking either a cbr600 or a r6.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
slow down there skippy.........your talkin 1-2yrs from now........

1) take the MSF class
2) get a small cc bike learn to ride, learn the streets
3) do a trackday or a few
4) get the bike of your dreams, they'll always be there.

btw, have you checked insurance for a person your age, even small cc bikes aren't cheap........

·
Registered
40 Posts
How about an EX500, a EX 250..or even a SV 650? I started on a VTR 250, did my first trackday 2 months later, and moved on to a older 89 CBR 600, then sold it, bought a FZR 400 racebike, and also bought a 03 R6 that i rode for about a month on the street..i hate riding on the street after you ride on the track, it sucks dodging traffic and all. The EX500 would be good only because it has enough hp to get moving and get out of the way if needed..the 250 is pretty slow, but a great bike to learn on. SV650, good all around bike...or you can buy my 95 TZ 125 that i have for sale! Ok, maybe not..might be to much for ya, 41hp..whew, i fly on that thing! Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is what im having trouble understanding. I just dont get why I would start on a real slow bike? Or is it to learn riding. Kind of like learning to ride a bike? Or what? I dont know. Because I have been riding dirtbikes for about 8 years now. Is that a help?

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
yup, SV sounds like a good bike then.

btw, call your insurance agent, ask about full coverage.

·
Moderator,
1,975 Posts
YoungGun11 said:
I just dont get why I would start on a real slow bike? Or is it to learn riding. Kind of like learning to ride a bike? Or what? I dont know. Because I have been riding dirtbikes for about 8 years now. Is that a help?
First, an EX500 isnt slow. Its more than enough to get you killed on the street.

Your dirt riding experience did nothing to prepare you for driving the streets with all the idiots in cars.

Think of it this way. Everyone who replied to your post says the same thing. At least two of us are street riding instructors. I myself have been on the street for over 20 years and have taught hundrends of new motorcyclist how to ride and have several hundred thousand miles of accident free street riding. Mostly on sportbikes. We know something you dont. Something really important. Young guys who buy sportbikes for their first bike get hurt and killed every day.

You are shopping for a bike because it looks cool. Not because it is the right bike for your experience (zero) or needs.

I work at a dealership and right now have 5 smashed up sportbikes in back all less than 5 months old. Every one of those riders thought they had what it took to operate a bike like that on the streets. They found out the hard way. It took one of them weeks to get out of the hospital to even show up here to see his bike.

Have some faith in what we say here.

You have a choice.... Be patient and learn the right way so you can enjoy motorcycles until you are an old fart or rush into it thinking you know best and become a statistic.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
about 60hp, race bike w/ lights vs a bike built for the street and to learn on.

ya know the GSXR600 has a decal on the tank that says "for experienced riders only"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The hard thing for me is, I dont have a job yet, im only 16. It would break the crap out of me if I had to buy two bikes.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
beginner bikes have great resale value. we lost $100 after 1yr and 4000mi on our 250.........1 drop of an SS bike and you'll be $3-400 into repairs let alone a major crash.

how you gonna pay insurance......if you pay cash $4-5000, liabilty will prolly be $500/yr....but then if it gets stolen, which happens EVERYDAY w/ sportbikes, your out $4-5k.......:shrug

and if nobody's told you bikes are expensive..........what about gear........your looking at $4-500 for lid/jacket/gloves maybe boots as a minimum. ins. aint cheap.........i just got 2 tires $250, replaced about every 3000-4000mi

long but worth reading if your serious about getting a bike

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2576

if not, we tried

·
Moderator,
1,975 Posts
YoungGun11 said:
I totally understnad what your saying. But what is the big difference between a 500 and 600?
Thats a great question.

The 600cc class is a competitive class. The factories race that size so the ones you see on the showroom are toned down versions of a race bike. Every year they have to be lighter and faster or it will hurt sales.

The 500cc bikes are just for the street. Each year they stay the same. There is a HUGE jump in power from a 500 to a 600 sportbike.

·
Moderator,
1,975 Posts
YoungGun11 said:
The hard thing for me is, I dont have a job yet, im only 16. It would break the crap out of me if I had to buy two bikes.

:laughing Then how did you expect to pay for an R6? :confused

If money is the issue then a used 500 is going to be your answer anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
YoungGun11 said:
I just don't understand why I should start on a real small bike.
So you'll live long enough to learn how to ride.

I'm not an an instructor, but have been street riding for more than 30 years. Trust me - listen to what the folks here are telling you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Perhaps your focus should be on getting a job at your young age:( ..check the newspaper ads..or if you want to learn more about bikes, try and get a job at a shop where you live..being a lot attendant or a gopher...its a start in the direction that you probably would benefit from...probably wont pay to much...but then again, money is money..especially when your 16..;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts