Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moto Junkie
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does it happen? Is it bad? Is it a sign I need to go to a more aggressive tire? I am running sport touring tires at the moment, MEZ4's to be exact. I wanted something with better mileage than the pilot sports that I was running. After my little spill the other day I noticed Blueing near the edges on both the rear and front. I have only heard of race tires doing this and would like some more info.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I've heard of pipes bluing due to rich/lean conditions, but never tires. :confused

Can you post a pic of what you're experiencing?

·
Moto Junkie
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have a camera handy at the moment since I am at work. It's like a blue tint to the rubber about 1/2 inch wide around the edges. I have never had a tire do that before....just really need to know if it's something that I should be concerned about.

·
Registered
847 Posts
They turn blue from going through heat cycles. Do you ride the track or just street? Mine turn blue a little from only street riding but i dont think that it is anything o worry about unless it is solid blue and hard. Mine gets like a tint of blue on it after hard rides.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Kzin said:
Why does it happen? Is it bad? Is it a sign I need to go to a more aggressive tire? I am running sport touring tires at the moment, MEZ4's to be exact. I wanted something with better mileage than the pilot sports that I was running. After my little spill the other day I noticed Blueing near the edges on both the rear and front. I have only heard of race tires doing this and would like some more info.

Bluing is a sign of high heat and means that you're cooking the oils out of the tire. Depending on the severity, you could be losing some of the tire's grip potential. There's a couple ways to reduce/prevent overheating:

- Run more air pressure: Go up 2PSI cold at a time. This is the most likely cause/cure, since a lot of folks seem to run track pressures on a streetbike.

- Soften your suspension

Also, check for anything causing the suspension to bind (high levels of stiction). That forces the tire to become the suspension, putting a LOT of stress/heat into it.

You also might consider changing tires anyhow: MEZ4's aren't all that good compared to their newer sport touring bretheren, (Bridgestone BT-020, Michelin Road), and are being replaced by the new Metzeler Roadtec Z6's. I can say for sure that I didn't like the MEZ4s much when I had them (they came as OEM fitment on my bike).

Scott :)

·
Moto Junkie
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Scott,

Just the answer I was looking for. I checked the air pressures after my get off and the rear was around 35. I usually run closer to 40 which is recommended for my bike. So it wasn't terribly low but still lower than usual.

I also am beginning to hate the Z4's. Both our bikes have them and I am just waiting for them to wear out. I'd really like to try some diablos if I can get them in a 160 rear.

·
Moderator,
3,129 Posts
Basically.. It's going through a heat cycle.. the more blue on the tire, the more heat cycles have gone through it..

"Q: What is a heat cycle on racing tires? How does it affect the wear and grip of a tire?

A: A tire heat cycle is when a tire is brought up to operating temperature and run for some laps, then allowed to cool. Taking a tire through a heat cycle changes its chemistry. In most instances it stabilizes the tire compound by decreasing its heat generation. But that process also slightly increases the durometer hardness of the tire. So scrubbing the tires (one heat cycle run) will help the tires run a little cooler and wear slightly better.

Successive heat cycles will continue this curing process. Eventually the tires will not provide nearly enough grip because they have gotten too hard, but they will wear like iron. Each heat cycle cures the tire rubber more and makes in harder.
"

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
You mean in the "chicken strip" areas on the edge of the tread? I never really noticed on and bike/tires I've ridden, but I do run the tires recommed pressure: 35F / 40R.

On track, I've seen the "balling" (like the edges get all scaily-like) that occurs from a lot of heat. I thought THAT was from cooking the oils. Bubbles and all.

Am I thinking of the same think, just different terminology? I'm curious as to what to expect from taking my fizzer to the track next season.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I put BT-020s on my girlfriend's YZF600R (T-Cat), and I have to say that I'm pretty damn pleased with the results. They turn nicely, come up to temp right away, should last 8K~ish, and grip well in *all* weather conditions. My sweetie says her bike works the same way in the rain as it does in the dry, and I can personally vouch that they also work pretty damn well in hooning mode.

I would also take a long look at Metz's new Roadtecs. If they're as big an improvement as the M1 Sporttecs were over their older counterpart, they should be a GREAT tire.

·
Registered
781 Posts
NinjaRat said:
You mean in the "chicken strip" areas on the edge of the tread? I never really noticed on and bike/tires I've ridden, but I do run the tires recommed pressure: 35F / 40R.

On track, I've seen the "balling" that occurs from a lot of heat. I thought THAT was from cooking the oils.

Balling *is* from a lot of heat - But what's happening is the surface layer of the tires is being scrubbed off and rolled. It's actually considered a 'good' thing because it means your tires are coming up to temp and are working well.

The opposite of balling is 'cold tearing' - you'll see little places where the surface rubber gets pulled apart. That means your tires are too cold for the abuse you're giving them.

Bluing is just because of the heat. If it's real blue, then it's too much heat.

In a perfect world, you'd ball the hell out of your track tires, but get minimal bluing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The first tire on my bike was a BT020 and it got blued really bad on the edges. None of my other tires have done that. I ran a MEZ4 and it ended up with the edges looking like I took a file to them. I never really like the tire and only got about 3000 miles out of it. I'm now running an Avon AV46ST on the rear. Its ok but I'm waiting to see what kind of milage I get out of it. Here's a pic of the MEZ4 edge.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry for the size on that.:rolleyes
Mark

·
slowest duc rider EVAR!
2,326 Posts
my diablo corsas have seen two trackdays and only a hundred or so street miles. granted on the track i'm using the full tire/balling it up etc...on the street i ride very passively barely leaning th ebike over. i've noticed blueing on the edges of my bike, but could it be possible it's due to sitting in the garage for a few months (winter)? i'm planning on replacing the tires soon as spring rolls around...nothing better than a set of new tires...anyone wanna buy some slightly used diablo corsas=)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm thinking it's from the bike sitting............I've had it happen to my tires while the bike was stored over winter and also had it happen on a previous car of mine that sat 8 months with a bad motor.............not sure why it happens though:shrug

·
Heavy Administrator,
527 Posts
Re: Re: Blued Tires...

Scotteq said:
Bluing is a sign of high heat and means that you're cooking the oils out of the tire. Depending on the severity, you could be losing some of the tire's grip potential. There's a couple ways to reduce/prevent overheating:

- Run more air pressure: Go up 2PSI cold at a time. This is the most likely cause/cure, since a lot of folks seem to run track pressures on a streetbike.

- Soften your suspension

Also, check for anything causing the suspension to bind (high levels of stiction). That forces the tire to become the suspension, putting a LOT of stress/heat into it.

You also might consider changing tires anyhow: MEZ4's aren't all that good compared to their newer sport touring bretheren, (Bridgestone BT-020, Michelin Road), and are being replaced by the new Metzeler Roadtec Z6's. I can say for sure that I didn't like the MEZ4s much when I had them (they came as OEM fitment on my bike).

DING DING DING, we have a winner!

·
Registered
986 Posts
my Dunlop 207rrs did that this summer on my Mille......They were really blue on the edges of the tire. I could tell I was losing some of the grippiness of the tire. I opeted to change both the front and rear for Diablo corsas.....so far so good!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts