Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering your thoughts on the alpinestars bionic jacket. I'm a tall, relatively skinny guy, and I prefer the tight-fitting armor/jackets instead of the big/bulky types out there...here's a link to the armor I am interested in...it is the bionic jacket

http://www.alpinestars.com/_lp/moto_protection.htm

I really want it bad, but had a few questions before I get ahead of myself...does anyone own or hold any opinions on this sort of armor?...as I said, I'm pretty skinny and so I was wondering if the medium will fit me snug or not?...I ask this cause I'll probably never be able to try this on in person, i'll just end up ordering it offline...

also, are there any more options with this type of armor?...I'm not looking for a leather or textile jacket, already got that, I'm looking for one of these tight-fitting almost shirt-like body armor, and if so, are there any lower-priced options...
yes, I know, I'm cheap, but I've hardly got any dough left cause of Christmas!:!
thanks in advance!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think several companies including Knox, Bohn, Dainese, and perhaps even Joe Rocket make an armored shirt much like that. As far as protective value, I seem to recall two reviews of "like" products in RiDE magazine-one good and the other not so good. I think that the conclusions were the ones that we can come to anecdotally which are (1) they provide good impact protection but less abrasion protection than an armored leather jacket, (2) because the armor is not under a textile or leather cover, it tends to shift more easily so fit and tightness becomes even more important than it usually does. I hope that helps - obviously I am far from an expert in these matters. That being said, it is better to wear something protective than just a t-shirt. Cheers.

·
MotoGP World Champion
21,790 Posts
^
l
l
l
sup, nig

I suppose you are thinking of wearing this in warm weather, no? I guess that would be OK, but you better make sure there are no unprotected areas, cuz otherwise rocks could hurt you on the highway. Also make sure it's snug as hell, otherwise that armor will move around. Of course all jackets/gear should be snug. All these people who wear "casual cut" stuff are misguided IMO

·
STONERISTIC
4,001 Posts
Hard to judge and there are lots of variables. Alpinestars as are many other brands of body armor are used in proffessional racing and are wrecked in alot so you could say that they work just as we'll as any other brand. The back protector is a pretty simple concept, and fit and finish are very important. Who wants to ride around with 2 inch think hard sponge on their back.

·
STONERISTIC
4,001 Posts
RookWV said:
If it protects my back better...........
We'll find out what Marco Melandri, Ruben Xaus, Aaron Yates, or Regis Laconi wears. Then choose from those brands they work very good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Velocity Gear back protector is CE level 2 certified. The A* one is level 1 so far as I know. Fit, feel and looks are completely subjective.

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
sexfreakR6 said:
i don't mind owning one of those bionic jacket. should be good under those long sleeve T-shirts. look s protected.
I would not wear that thing with a long sleeve T shirt and think I'm protected...I would be weary of wearing one with a regular leather jacker just cause there stitching it's that strong and probably not double stitched. But, I'm a over protective minded gear nut case so that is just MO.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First, thanks for the responses...secondly, no, I have actually never really considered wearing that body armor alone, rather I would plan on wearing it underneath my riding jacket (speedrag)...but, as I read through your responses, it seems that most of you would be VERY against any kind of riding with ONLY that body armor on...Now, I do understand that it is best to have the most protection possible, but it seems that your implying that, that armor really isn't that protective at all, or at least that it offers very minimal protection...but it seems to me that it offers relatively the same type of protection that most of the mesh jackets do...I dunno, I'm a little confused...:confused

·
Registered
278 Posts
Armor's primary purpose is to protect you against IMPACT injuries, they are supposed to spread the energy over a larger area, etc, etc and so forth......leather/textile gear are to protect you from ABRASION injuries, they are supposed to grind away instead of your skin, etc, etc and so forth.

When you fall from a motorcycle both types of injuries are possible......you are going to impact the ground/tree/guardrail/sidewalk/etc-----you will also slide along the pavement/dirt/grass/water/etc until you either have an impact that stops you or you lose momentum.

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
The stretch area that isn't covered with armor is what worries me the most

1. it seems way to thin
2. Question it's endurance in crash that doesn't just involve impact.

Everything else is up to your imagination.

That would be okay I guess if you hit the ground and didn't slide or tumble (which is questionable also) It looks like it's a step in the right direction when you putting something over it but, by itself it looks like spandex shirt with CE armor on it. In other words the armor looks good but, the stretch material isn't (on it's own) I wore those type of jackets while trail riding and the seem more fit for that then tarmac riding with no motorcyle specific well made jacket....

And some people question textile jackets as well so that's another road of course....

·
Registered
174 Posts
RookWV said:
Armor's primary purpose is to protect you against IMPACT injuries, they are supposed to spread the energy over a larger area, etc, etc and so forth......leather/textile gear are to protect you from ABRASION injuries, they are supposed to grind away instead of your skin, etc, etc and so forth.

When you fall from a motorcycle both types of injuries are possible......you are going to impact the ground/tree/guardrail/sidewalk/etc-----you will also slide along the pavement/dirt/grass/water/etc until you either have an impact that stops you or you lose momentum.
Good post.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think it's quite possible those jackets are intended for Supermoto, or off-road riding. I have seen AMA Supermoto riders wearing something like that, underneath an MX jersey.

I own something very similar, made by Dainese, but it was intended for downhill mountain biking, and that's what I use it for.

·
Registered
145 Posts
timy said:
I would not wear that thing with a long sleeve T shirt and think I'm protected...I would be weary of wearing one with a regular leather jacker just cause there stitching it's that strong and probably not double stitched. But, I'm a over protective minded gear nut case so that is just MO.

lol what i meant was..to have one on is better then what i see most riders i see out there with just only a T-shirt. im not saying its the must have and to ignore leathers altogether, no no. and yes i do have to agree to what you have to say about stictching

1 - 20 of 24 Posts