Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a gs500. it wasn't certified when i bought it so im gonna have to do it. everything looks great except the speedometer doesn't work, and the guy told me sometimes the odometer doesn't work. i know it's been dropped once, and the housing for the tach and speedo has a vertical crack.

do i have to have a working speedometer to get a certification? and how much do you think it'll cost me to fix? i 'd like to know how fast i'm going ;)

also how much does a certification cost? if there are no problems. (ballpark figure)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thought I had sent you an answer.

Must have tapped the wrong button.
Being a fellow Cdn & knowing how our Prov & Fed Govts live on Red Tape I feel you will need a working speedo to have it registered. It is a MUST like lights that work, stop light that works, at least one mirror, horn, & muffler.
Cost of having the bike registered is one I cannot answer for I have never had a bike that was not street legal by the prior owner.
IF the transfer from prior owner to you is legit, then there is nothing stopping you from insuring it & a license plate.
Still why insure it for this short remaining yr? See the insurance people & those in change of the license plate & see if you can get most of the paper-work done & put the bike away till spring THEN buy the insurance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ,
that's what i'm planning on doing. getting everything out of the way, and have it ready to ride in the spring. maybe a tune up in spring also.

hope to see you on the road

·
Registered
316 Posts
Decent bike you can go over almost from bDolt to bolt.

Which is better then a sportbike with all its plastic.
In this way you can look at this & that & not spend hrs trying to remove the plastic on the modern sportbikes.
In the early yrs of proper fairings for road racing all they were were f/glass shells in two to 3 pieces that could be quickly removed & put back on again. Now it is a nightmage to get at anything & worse yet to try & put it all back again. Gone are the days of running the engine hard, cutting the engine & pulling off the road to do a quick sparkplug check.
Above is another reason that some are going for bikes like the Yamaha FZ1 & others as they are in almost skelton form or 'naked' as some say.
Personally I like fairings as they cut through the wind for the bike & me, & give me some protection from said wind but would sooner be back to the simple 2 or 3 or 4 pieces of f/glass & none of this cockpit crap & enclosed rear portion of the taillamp, etc.
But then what the 'ell I am an old rider that comes from the late 40s to have seen all the changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts