Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is considering the purchase of a 96 F3 that has moderate plastic damage and a salvage title. The frame is straight and the mechanics (only 6k!) are perfect. The seller is asking $3k for it. What do you all think? I keep telling him that a bike with a rebuild or salvage title is worth bubkiss in the eyes of everyone else.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Around here salvage title bikes are NOT worthless, and pretty common. 60-80% of normal value is about the going rate here.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I'd give him $2K.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i paid 2500$ for my F2 w/ rashed plastics. if you have the tools/means to make it road worthy then its worth whatever your buddy is ready to pay. i sold mine for 2000$ after doing a years worth of trackdays on it (and there was evan more damage from a highside at poconos :clap ) i will say that the CBR's are very hardy bikes. i loved mine and wish i had kept it instead of getting the canotuna. :confused :eek :rolleyes :shake :(

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,280 Posts
Just make sure the DMV will let him tite and register it and the Ins companies will insure it...

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
PrtclMn001 said:
Just make sure the DMV will let him tite and register it and the Ins companies will insure it...
+1 State Farm in Canada will not insure a salvage title bike for anythign other than liability.
If it gets stolen, tuff noogies.

check your local rules and regs first.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem buying a salvage title bike, but not one that old for that much money.

I'd give 3k for an unrepaired 600RR with salvage title. I wouldn't give more than $1500 for a 96 F3, and that might be asking a lot depending on what is damaged.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I went to an auto / bike auction out here in Colorado recently. They sold a 1999 F4 with very few scratches, but a salvage title for $2k. Also, an '01 929 went for $2800. I would tell your friend he can do better.

·
"You're not worthy."
2,545 Posts
I ride a salvage title bike as my daily driver, and I agree that the price is WAY too high. Unless that three grand includes the seller repairing it (frankensteining the plastics), repainting it (either original or something different), and getting it past inspection. There are a few guys around that do that. $3000 for THAT bike would be a different story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts