Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not looking for anything fancy, just small and versatile. Something REALLY easy to pack around good enough to do a decent 8x10. I'd been looking at this Sony T1, anyone else have any experience with anything?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
DanGTI337 said:
I'm not looking for anything fancy, just small and versatile. Something REALLY easy to pack around good enough to do a decent 8x10. I'd been looking at this Sony T1, anyone else have any experience with anything?
i would pass on the sony if i were you. Its cool cause its small and has a huge screen but thats about it. I have 2 friends who have that camera and they both were not happy with the manual settings and extra features + its $500 or so.

I take my pics with a canon S410 and couldn't be any happier. I can fit it in my pocket so i can still dance at the clubs while being able to take pictures when i want. It has all the manual settings i need and solid video capabilities and i got it on newegg for $360.

Good luck with the search, i'm sure you'll get some good help, there are quite a few people on here who are way more knowledgable than i am.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Canon SD100. It's a little wider than the Sony, but less than half the price. Also, megapixels alone do not a quality camera make. In other words, don't just buy the largest MP camera you can find, but buy the camera that takes the best pictures. IMO Canon generally has better optics than Sony.

·
***Site Owner***
2,812 Posts
I agree with JRod everyone goes out and buys the most Mega-Pixels for the dollar! That is not the only factor you need for a good picture! Some of the Sony cameras are way too limited in the features you can adjust manually! The Cannon in general takes better pics and had more features then the Sony! I say in general because I have a DSC-717 with the Carl Zeiss lens and it takes great pictures.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Get the Canon SD300 or SD200. It has the new Digic II processor. The image difference between that and the first gen Digic is noticeable.

If you want first gen Digic, SD100, S410 or S500 can all be had for $310 or less shipped.

·
Registered
12,907 Posts
For a point and shoot... you can't go wrong with the Canon A80/85. :)

·
BE SAFE AND RIDE SMART
5,602 Posts
Canon 100%

·
This little piggy went to market...
2,684 Posts
I'm satisfied with the Canon S500 (ebay for $200) and the Fuji Finepix 401 ($150 on ebay).

Both are easy to use and have very well written manuals.

The only thing that bothers me are the different formats of memory cards. :mad

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
sony DSC-P100 all the way!!! i've got a canon sd110 as well but i like the sony way better. it's small just like the cannon and has all of the same functions as the cannon. but the zoom is better than the sd 110 and most others at the same size. also, you can upgrade to different lenses and filters that are 30mm. you can get a larger zoom, fisheye, etc..... look at the link below and click on accessories. my opinion is that you can get a much larger assortment of accessories.

my only suggestion is that if you go with sony, don't use the regular memory stick. get the memory stick pro. it allows you to use a regular SD card.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...dcc_DIDigitalCameras_Cyber-shotDigitalCameras

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
racquetballpimp said:
I agree with JRod everyone goes out and buys the most Mega-Pixels for the dollar! That is not the only factor you need for a good picture! Some of the Sony cameras are way too limited in the features you can adjust manually! The Cannon in general takes better pics and had more features then the Sony! I say in general because I have a DSC-717 with the Carl Zeiss lens and it takes great pictures.
The DSC-717 is a nice camera, but not so much a "point & shoot". It takes VERY nice pics, but is a little big for MOST pockets. :laughing

Attachments

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anything over a 3 megapixel is fine with me. I'm just going for easiest point and shoot camera. I'm not trying to go pro with the thing, just take snap shots of friends and events.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
717 was one of my favorite cameras to use. Outside of the issue with it only taking Memory Sticks it was fast easy to use and I didn't hit the wall on limitations for it for a while.

I am using the 828 now.

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
Dan, most digital cameras start at 35mm at their widest but I tried to find a selection of cameras that had a 28mm starting point. Here are some that I would feel confident in recommending:

Canon PowerShot S70
Canon PowerShot S60
Fujifilm FinePix E500 Zoom
Fujifilm FinePix E510 Zoom

You can go to www.dpreview.com to see pictures of these and get an idea of their features. There are so many cameras and so much information though.

I've used many Nikon Coolpix cameras and they're awesome. I chose the above ones for a little variety.

Oh, and I'm a big +1 on Canon. I've got a G3 and absolutely love it.

Attachments

·
BE SAFE AND RIDE SMART
5,602 Posts
Oh man here is my moms camera.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts