Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I have heard about that out in Louisanna, there are parts of that state that still don't have phone service. One of my bosses at work is from there and sent a newspaper article of his home town FINALLY getting phone service...

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
Not unusual. :(

Government plans were created decades ago to make phone companies install service in areas too rural to make it economical to provide service, but sadly, there's a lot of places that get left out just because the company doesn't want to spend the money.

Heck, Gate City, VA is not that rural yet we still have no broadband along major corridors that have a nice bit of people moving to and building on the land. :(

Virginia gets f*cked when it comes to services. The DSL train stops at the Tennesee border. :rolleyes

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Wow, I'm amazed they have power. If the polls are there then it shouldn't be that expensive for the phone company to install service.

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
Why should the phone company be expected to spend the money? Why can't the people move closer to civilization? Or, if I were the phone company I'd charge 100% of the expenses to the 15 houses in that community. Don't want to spend $20,000 for phone service? Then you don't get it. Simple.

This is very common in Canada - there are many areas without phone service. The solution? Don't move there!

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,767 Posts
Life without a phone is awesome. The only hitch is when someone needs to get in touch with you or vice versa.

Have fun with the phones...welcome to 1893:laughing :laughing

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Guido said:
Why should the phone company be expected to spend the money?
Because in the U.S., every phone service carrier collects a "Universal Service Fund" fee, something in the range of 1.7% (think of how much is spent on phone service by the entire country over the course of the year- that's a shitload of dough!). This is (almost universally, by practice, not mandate) collected from the consumer, passed on to Uncle Sam, and in turn reapportioned out to local service carriers for the purpose of implementing phone service in high-cost areas, or to people who couldn't otherwise afford it (along with a few other semi-related pork-barrel provisions).

So, they're expected to spend the money by Federal mandate, but since it's not their money anyway (it's mine!), they really don't have a lot to bitch about.

Most of the people in these little towns have lived there for generations... these aren't "downshifiting" yuppies who suddenly decide that they don't like roughing it after all, they're plain ol' rural poor who would like some modern convenience but have never had a chance to get it.

Broadband is a different story... it's not considered a basic need, so if you want it, you've got to be able to make the business model. :shrug

...dave
:redcreep

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
lanispet your post sheds new light on the subject. If the money was collected for that reason then it should be used for that reason. I didn't realize there was such a fund and thought the phone company was expected to cover the costs out of their profit.

If they're that poor I wonder how they're going to pay for their phone bill. Or will the other phone customers foot that bill too? If they're basic needs are subsidized for them then I guess there is no incentive for them to better themselves. But that's a whole other topic.

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,767 Posts
PrtclMn001 said:
I'd pay money for someone to take the phone off my desk
+1

I put my office phone in my closet and screwed up the wires in the wall socket:D :D The phone in my classroom is turned off, so no one can get ahold of me unless they physically come to my office or call another teacher. I hate having a phone at work

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Now they're going to get introduced to the thing we call telemarketers. Hope they like their dinners getting disturbed.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Jester27 said:
+1

I put my office phone in my closet and screwed up the wires in the wall socket:D :D The phone in my classroom is turned off, so no one can get ahold of me unless they physically come to my office or call another teacher. I hate having a phone at work
What? you have a phone in your classroom? that's weird :confused

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
Guido said:
lanispet your post sheds new light on the subject. If the money was collected for that reason then it should be used for that reason. I didn't realize there was such a fund and thought the phone company was expected to cover the costs out of their profit.

If they're that poor I wonder how they're going to pay for their phone bill. Or will the other phone customers foot that bill too? If they're basic needs are subsidized for them then I guess there is no incentive for them to better themselves. But that's a whole other topic.
You also have to realize....

1. Phone service is not just a luxury in America. Most any employer wants you to be available by telephone, and lots of government agencies want that too. Denying service based on how "profitable" it is to a phone company is counterproductive.

2. Phone companies still (by and large) have a legal monopoly in their areas. That means they MUST provide service to everyone or they aren't doing their job. In spite of that, if you move someplace with good population numbers but have a crappy carrier (i.e., Sprint in Laramie, WY), you have no options but to complain to the PSC (Public Service Commission) and watch as pretty much nothing happens.

Also, if you are in a rural area, you still get crappy service compared to the cities....even if the service comes from a company that provides service to both areas. The Tennessee side of the state line gets better rates, service, etc. and it isn't because of one state's laws vs. another state's laws. Sprint has most all of Tennesse but very little of Virginia. They treat us accordingly. :down

3. It's a Catch-22 with phone service. We need broadband in SW Virginia desperately to attract businesses, but they won't build the infrastructure until the businesses come to our area. They won't come until the infrastructure is in place and ready to hook them up when they get here. See the problem? The locals can't afford to build the infrastructure. The phone company won't do it on their nickel (even though in the long run they make a killing). So, we have to beg the government for money to do it or nothing ever develops. :rolleyes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.