Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically use WMP to rip my CDs and I was wondering what is the best way to compress the music and still get good quality. What typically do you guys rip yours in? I'm using 128k, but it takes up some space of course. Can you hear the difference between 128k and 64k? Also, is it better to rip in MP3 format?

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
DanGTI337 said:
I typically use WMP to rip my CDs and I was wondering what is the best way to compress the music and still get good quality. What typically do you guys rip yours in? I'm using 128k, but it takes up some space of course. Can you hear the difference between 128k and 64k? Also, is it better to rip in MP3 format?
MP3 and WMA are both compressed formats so it just depends on what you're using to read it. MP3 is more universally accepted by devices but WMA is getting up there with devices allowing WMA files.

As far as quality, it really depends on what device you're listenting to it on. For MP3 players, I only rip to 96kbps. You wont notice the difference on anything greater than that. Anything that is being played for quality like on my desktop or my car...192kbps. You will lose bass/treble between 160-128.

Nico

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Nico pretty much summed it up - if you're looking for real quality you're already looking in the wrong spot. I rip all mine at 196k WMA - just to try and get some quality out of it (I can hear the difference on my home system, and sometimes in the car). The loss in HD space doesn't bug me much.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
some people say wma sounds better then mp3. for me, i can't tell the difference until the bitrate falls below ~96 kbs :shrug i usually just rip at 192 or 128.

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
I rip everything at 192 and then use WM Powertoys to change bitrate to 96 on all the files I'm gonna put on an MP3 player.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I'm something of an audiophile since it's part of my job to listen to music all day. I used to rip all my stuff to 192 kHz WMA as I can hear the difference between 192 and 128 very clearly. Neither of my MP3 players (portable and car) can play 192 kHz WMA very well because it requires more processing power to decode than MP3 does, so I converted everything to 160 kbps MP3. I can hear the difference occasionally, but it's good enough.

FYI, I'm the one who chose 128 kbps WMA as the ripping format for Xbox 1, so blame me if you can hear the artifacts :)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nakedjig said:
I'm something of an audiophile since it's part of my job to listen to music all day. I used to rip all my stuff to 192 kHz WMA as I can hear the difference between 192 and 128 very clearly. Neither of my MP3 players (portable and car) can play 192 kHz WMA very well because it requires more processing power to decode than MP3 does, so I converted everything to 160 kbps MP3. I can hear the difference occasionally, but it's good enough.

FYI, I'm the one who chose 128 kbps WMA as the ripping format for Xbox 1, so blame me if you can hear the artifacts :)
I was hoping I'd get an answer like this. Thanks for the info everybody!

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
hard disk space is cheap these days, just rip everything at 320 kps and use the powertoy converter on the whole directory and create a 192 and 128 kps sample as well - you'll cover all your bases :) :redflip

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Jeff's got a point, but 160 kbps has been good enough for me on all my stereos. I actually like the fact that I don't have to convert every time I update my MP3 players. Then again, most people don't have enough music to fill their players, so they don't have to move stuff around all the time like I do.

If you trust my ears, 128 kbps WMA is better than MP3, 160 MP3 is better than WMA and 192 WMA is better than MP3. Strange how that works, but that's how I hear it. WMA Pro is better than both of them, but most portable MP3 players don't support it.

Shit, if you're really serious, rip everything to WMA Lossless.

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
The only time I take anything away from 192 WMA is for my portable MP3 player for the gym at that is to 96kbps. Ive just started ripping my entire CD collection WMA loseless so I can just do away with all the CDs and I'll burn CD's as I want them. :thumb

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
ya'll are nuts. that's all i gotta say.

:thumb

i've tried to start ripping mine and janets CDs.
only got 1625 songs so far, and i'm tired of it.

·
This little piggy went to market...
2,684 Posts
I've ripped and encoded all my MP3's at 128k. I'm satisfied with this and it doesn't take up much space...unless you have over 15,000 MP3's. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts