Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a local bike shop has a thing that kinda clips around the headlight bulb and changes the color. its a metal frame and red colored glass/plastic...i want blue but they dont have any......know where i can find one/two or what they are called?

·
Super Moderator
23,512 Posts
Well those are illegal for street use just so you know (especially red and blue). And even more important, they limit the amount of useable light. I thought they quit making those a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
23,512 Posts
Last I seen them was in a *gasp* Lockhart Philips *gasp* catalogue. And I think that one was a 1999 one.

Might want to try some of the HD accessories catalogues. Ya knever know.

·
BLESS YOUR HEART
1,680 Posts
Get a real HID kit. More light from less power. You get the complete light spectrum, including UV light. Its like a blacklight in front of your bike that illuminates hidden features. Road markings and signs fluoresce. Water deposits, ice crystals, and sand glow on the street. The difference is so great, you will never go back to halogen.

HID kits are about $200 and are simple to install. They install just like the original bulb, except there is a high voltage power supply between the two connectors. The bulb is filled with gas and has no filiment to break. You get twice the light for half the power, making your battery happy with all the extra voltage. Your bike may go 0.001 mph faster because of that too! You might save 25 cents on fuel this year! Why not?

Get the 8000K color or better. They are the hottest blue color with the most UV output:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/hidxenon.html
http://store.racinglab.com/hehidcokit.html

·
BLESS YOUR HEART
1,680 Posts
karl_996 said:
unless you have an H4 system, then there is an extra $100 tacked on.:confused
That's because H4 bulbs have two elements. The HID bulb uses a tiny servo motor in the bulb casing to flip between hi/low beam positions. I had this on my other bike and it worked rather well, but had extra ratsnest of control wiring and an additional box I had to mount.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,280 Posts
dattaway said:
That's because H4 bulbs have two elements. The HID bulb uses a tiny servo motor in the bulb casing to flip between hi/low beam positions. I had this on my other bike and it worked rather well, but had extra ratsnest of control wiring and an additional box I had to mount.
talk about more to break :eek

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I had some blue bulbs in my SV. My buddy gave them to me, so I don't know exactly want make they were, but everyone noticed me on the street. I really think the blue bulbs made me a lot more visable. I noticed a lot less cars cutting me off, etc.

They sucked in the dark, though. :shrug

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've got the HID on mine...came that way from the PO. It is extremely bright and that is the only setting...just really friggin high beam!
I'm wondering if cars are night are gonna start flashing their brights at me (when I finally start riding at night:rolleyes )

·
Moderator,
4,026 Posts
Short of possibly the Silvania Silverstars you aren't going to see much difference. This is the reason I've put in for an order of an HID conversion kit for my low beam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.