Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, I haven't been able to ride my bike since June because I could no longer afford my insurance. I've got a job again, and want to put the bike back on the road. Anyone give me some suggestions on where to find cheap insurance? I had progressive and was paying 1200/yr for full coverage on a 99Kat 600 I'd like to try to find something cheaper than that hopefully.

·
Moderator,
2,475 Posts
I would check farmers... I pay more on my cruiser (118) then I do on my fzr (112) I know that I am a female, but I don't think they have a clue... thats full coverage 500 deductible:cool:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
State Farm gave me ridiculous rates. I use Progressive. Very good :thumb

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I pay $22 a month for full coverage on my GSX-R750 through State Farm.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should probably also mention that I'm under the magic number of 25 untill Feb of 03....

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
For me having State Farm was cheaper over all. I could have gotten cheaper insurance on the bikes if I'd gone somewhere else. But having both bikes, two cars, and a house through State Farm made the overall monthly cost cheaper through them.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Sandman5.56 said:
I should probably also mention that I'm under the magic number of 25 untill Feb of 03....
That does change things a bit. I am 29 with a perfect driving record, I was married and I have a child.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Varies for everyone I guess. But Dairyland was WAY cheaper for me. My quotes for the FZ1 ranged from $2000/year to the $329 I am paying now with Dairyland (full coverage). Other insurance companies wanted to rate the FZ1 in the same category as the R1. Dairyland rates it as a "standard". I just hope they keep it that way! :D

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
I use Geico for the cars and bikes.

·
Moderator,
12,930 Posts
"Cheap Insurance"? Not here...

I use Lincoln General...they were cheaper than any other company I called (used to have Universal Underwriters, but they don't write policies here any more).

And BTW, "cheaper" does not mean "cheap"...I'm still getting raped! :(

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rockin' SV said:
Geico was the cheapest for me too.

Geico wanted over $3000 for the same plan that I got through Progressive for $1200....

Thanks for all the input folks I appreciate it!

·
Registered
382 Posts
State Farm, Paid $400 a year for full coverge with a 900cc sportbike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
State Farm is still giving me decent rates. I'm waiting for the day when I get a renewal notice and it's tripled.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
Everyone go to State Farm then... Then they can pay out the butt for these motorcycles and there won't be a company left with adequate rates. :rolleyes:

Last I heard State Farm was PAYING out 1.20 for every 1.00 they took in. Regardless of what type of claims they are they will attempt to recoop this somehow... I would expect a rate hike fairly soon, if not a cancellation... As in my case.

·
Moderator,
12,930 Posts
You members that are currently enjoying cheap m/c insurance from State Farm, enjoy it while it lasts. Up here in Northern California, they are far from cheap...that is, if you can even find an agent who will give you a quote (I had to call 6 different agents before I found one who would quote me)

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
FZR Ace said:
You members that are currently enjoying cheap m/c insurance from State Farm, enjoy it while it lasts. Up here in Northern California, they are far from cheap...that is, if you can even find an agent who will give you a quote (I had to call 6 different agents before I found one who would quote me)
Yup I have a feeling it will be nationwide very soon... And I just decided to keep the R1 for another year. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
FZR Ace said:
It all depends on where you are. Everything in NY and California is more expensive than anywhere else. My premiums keep dropping.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts