Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

Church Giving Away Bike

673 views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Ces Gerard 
#1 ·
I thought this was pretty cool! :D

Church gives away car, Harley to draw crowd

Associated Press
Dec. 29, 2003 08:03 AM

GALVESTON, Texas - A church near Houston is dangling a couple of motorized carrots to increase its congregation.

Abundant Life Christian Center in La Marque will give away a new Chrysler PT Cruiser to a woman and a Harley Davidson Sportster to a man at its New Year's Eve service.

Parishioners and visitors have been eligible to enter for the free drawings each time they attended a service in recent weeks, and members who brought visitors could enter twice.

The church has already purchased the vehicles.

The winners must be at Wednesday's service to drive them away.

Pastor Walter Hallam told the Galveston Daily News, "This is an opportunity to give something to someone that will encourage people to come to the house of the Lord."

See less See more
#2 ·
To me it seems like a very shallow and faithless attempt to draw in crowds to a dying congregation. Although, I wouldn't mind winning a new car or bike.

In Him,
Matt

#6 ·
A church near Houston is dangling a couple of motorized carrots to increase its congregation.
I dont get this. Why would a church use a materialistic means to "draw" people to its doors? :shrug And then preach the Word of God inside the doors, including "Take up your cross and follow me" :shrug

If my church did something like this, I'd have to shoot someone.............. :eek

unless of course it was a 2004 Yamaha R1 they were giving away! :drool

j/k

:D

#11 ·
I do admit it would pull people into the church, but IMO kinda the wrong way of doing so. Even though having a new car or Harley would be nice. But the money that was spent to purchase them, where did it come from? Tithes? Donations to the church? Makes me question their way of thinking.......but then again I have always questioned Abundant Life's way of thinking........:confused ........Not that I have any problem with them because I don't.

#20 ·
How do they get people into churches these days.... Gyms, Entertainment, Give-aways....
What ever happened to "If I be lifted up, I'll draw all men unto Me" or "if my people who are called by My name will turn away from their wicked ways and pray, I will hear and heal their land"(paraphrazed) (I wish I had my Bible with me right now).
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Church needs to be living in the stone age, but there is a point where we start compromizing the Word when we try these new and wonderful ways of bringing people to church.
I'd rather go to the church of someone who lives what they preach rather than to hear a preaching on how I should live and find out the church is doing completely otherwise.
"By this they will know you are my disciples if you love(Godly, unadulterated, unselfish love) one another", "A new commandment I give you that you love one another (like Christ loved us that He gave His live so that I can have eternal life)"

So where's my new Harley:crackup :crackup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.