Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrecked and am putting a new OEM upper on the bike. I know from many miles of riding behind folks, rock chips are inevitable. I just purchased some clear vinyl I will put on the front to protect it and keep it looking nice. Anyone else have this?

How does it look and work?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
it will turn yellow and look funny and after getting hot from the sun ect. it will be look like ass and the goo will start to seap from the edges...

·
Registered
137 Posts
vizsladog said:
it will turn yellow and look funny and after getting hot from the sun ect. it will be look like ass and the goo will start to seap from the edges...
I agree, regular vinyl will look like crap in short order. The film that tankslapper uses seems like it holds up much better, you may check out one of the "Total Protection Kits" from the order page on their site http://www.thetankslapper.com/

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You can add a some flex-agent to your paint when you paint and it will help some.

·
Iron Butt Association #313244
1,380 Posts
Mel aka Speed Kitten said:
I wrecked and am putting a new OEM upper on the bike. I know from many miles of riding behind folks, rock chips are inevitable. I just purchased some clear vinyl I will put on the front to protect it and keep it looking nice. Anyone else have this?

How does it look and work?
Hmm... I put 70k on my '01 929, and the OEM upper looked pretty good right up until the point where the Honda Accord broke it :( . Maybe there's a lot more gravel in the road where you ride, but I found just keeping the bike clean and out of the direct sun when you're not riding it seems to work very well.

Like others have suggested, Tankslapper does offer some solutions that you might want to consider.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks ya'll! ;)

·
2 As 1
272 Posts
What you want is 3M Clear Urethane (It is similar to tank slapper material, but glossier, and thicker.)

This is the same stuff they put on expensive automobiles to keep them chip free.

:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Enygma said:
What you want is 3M Clear Urethane (It is similar to tank slapper material, but glossier, and thicker.)
I am pretty sure that is what tank slapper uses on the front of the bike and some other areas. The total protection kits are a mix of the non-adhesive material and the 3M Urethane.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I just need the front upper part. :D

·
Are we there yet?
1,048 Posts
The Tankslapper kits rock. I got their full kit for my RC51, which comes with sheets to protect both headlights, the leading edges of the lower fairing, the top of the fuel tank and the knee indentations, the front fender where it flares for the forks, and a flared area under the lower fairing. Basically, any surface that is likely to get chipped up is covered and I don't have to worry about digging my knees into the tank and scuffing it or scuffing the top of the tank with my magnetic tankbag. Another plus with the Tankslapper is that all the pieces are precut to fit your bike model so all you have to do is wash it, shine it, wet the bike and vinyl, then slide it into place and work out any trapped air bubbles. If you do a good job during the install you'll have to point it out to people before they'll notice it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts