Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple grand to put down on a bike and after visiting a couple dealerships I went to one that among other things had a 96 GSXR750 for sale. It didn't look perfect and pristine but it looked straight. They only wanted $2500 for it though. Seems it needs a new clutch. My question is this is a full service shop so why don't they do the clutch job because the parts can't be that expensive for it and then sell it for at least twice as much. How much time/money/labor does it cost to do. Do you have to split the cases or what. The dealership usually is fair about the pricing on their bikes but this seems like a screwy deal to me. Also it had failed inspection. Can a bike fail inspection for a slipping clutch. I don't mind putting a grand into to get it fixed but is this just a waste of my time??

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
did you ask them why not. it could be a consignment sale.
for that money it still sound like a good deal.
is this your first bike?

·
Registered
704 Posts
YEAH SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD DEAL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so even with all the red flags its still a good deal? cool cool. This would be my third bike BTW. Did the 250 thing for over a year. Been riding both a Kat600 and YZF600R off and on with a lot of dirt experience thrown in. I also have done all the MSF and an advanced course through the base I used to be stationed at. I'm still looking for something smaller but I'm a cheap bastard and I hate missing out on a deal. I went down there to look at a F3 but it was already sold and the dick that bought it even had ridden it in to drop off some paperwork.

Does anyone know how much it costs to get the clutch fixed though??

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
A clutch job is fairly straightforward...try and work something out in the sale to get it done cheaper if you're not ok with doing it yourself....Find out why it failed inspection though...I dunno about VA, but around here they don't even check clutch operation during inspection.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds to good to be true - IMHO . Blue Book on that bike in good condition should be around $5k.

I agree with Zeos, find out why it failed inspections and what are the inspection guidelines for your state. You also might want to have another mechanic not associated with that shop take a look at it, see if anything else is wrong. In CO you have 3 days before the sale is final.

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts