Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

Clutch, transmission?

809 views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Method 
#1 ·
I'm having difficulty getting it into gear.... I have to play with it alot or it just doesn't click. For instance when I try to downshift it doesn't click, just feels like it's in the lowest gear possible and i have to fiddle w/it (move it up a tiny bit then click down etc).

Also had it pop out of gear when I was getting on it on the freeway.... Clutch seem stiff though.... Anyone have any ideas ?

#6 ·
lol never maintained a bike...... As for the shift fork being bent, it looks fine.....

I know i'm going to get shit for this, but I ran some normal 10w40 motor oil through it recently as my stator cover is cracked from the previous owner and I didn't want to do the full oil change until i had a new cover. So yeah, it leaked till it was low and i threw in some 10w40.... think that would cause problems shifting?

#7 ·
since most oils are energy conserving with friction modifiers. Yup that could be your problem :dumbass Pay attention to the the symbol on the back and like I said above stay away from energy conserving oils.

#10 ·
I'll almost fucking guarantee that shit! Depends on what type of oil you used last time, but from the sounds of it you just grabbed anything and dumped it into your bike:shake:shake.

www.r6messagenet.com check that site out for all your R6 questions and needs. I still go there cause unlike cycleforums they talk about mods and maintanence in the respective forums. Check it out bro.

Don't skimp on oil otherwise your bike will definitely suffer. Change the oil filter too!

#12 ·
316 said:
I'm having difficulty getting it into gear.... I have to play with it alot or it just doesn't click. For instance when I try to downshift it doesn't click, just feels like it's in the lowest gear possible and i have to fiddle w/it (move it up a tiny bit then click down etc).

Also had it pop out of gear when I was getting on it on the freeway.... Clutch seem stiff though.... Anyone have any ideas ?
Let me guess.. your're having the biggest problem with second gear right?

The tranny's in the 01/02 R6's were notoriously weak as well as I've heard countless stories about 2nd gear going out. If by some miracle it's still under warranty, definitely have them check it out. If not, try changing your oil with some semi-synth. If that doesn't help you may have a nasty problem.

#15 ·
316 said:
lol never maintained a bike...... As for the shift fork being bent, it looks fine.....

I know i'm going to get shit for this, but I ran some normal 10w40 motor oil through it recently as my stator cover is cracked from the previous owner and I didn't want to do the full oil change until i had a new cover. So yeah, it leaked till it was low and i threw in some 10w40.... think that would cause problems shifting?
PM Not-Slow-Joe, he had a problem with his 01'R6, I think it was his sprocket shaft. Yamaha covered the cost because of the warranty, he had the same problem you do.

#17 ·
strroosk said:
its a yamaha... every thing in this post is a fact... yamaha's are week... they sacrificed quality for looks and you are going to pay for it if you buy a yamaha... that is all
:rolleyes I've never had a problem w/ any of my yammis - every bike is known to have it's weak points.

Yamaha - Bad tranny up to the 02 r6
Honda - Boring
Suzuki - FUGLY

:nanana

#26 ·
Method said:
:rolleyes I've never had a problem w/ any of my yammis - every bike is known to have it's weak points.

Yamaha - Bad tranny up to the 02 r6
Honda - Boring
Suzuki - FUGLY

:nanana
If your smooth you don't brake shit!.....no matter how hard you beat it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.