Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I use brake parts cleaner but that's pretty much the same thing. works great because it evaporates quickly. Also you can spay it on your tires before a race and it will remove all dirt plus make them a little stickyer for a good launch off the start.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Randy 44 said:
I use brake parts cleaner but that's pretty much the same thing. works great because it evaporates quickly. Also you can spay it on your tires before a race and it will remove all dirt plus make them a little stickyer for a good launch off the start.
Depends on the brands of brake and carb cleaner. Some carb cleaners will leave a bit of an oily residue behind. Stick with brake cleaner for the brakes and clutches, and carb cleaner for the carb of course. Carb cleaner usually is stronger at cleaning the gunk out of carbs than brake clean so you really need both in your chemical collection.

Chris

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Frank. I have been kinda busy this last year so I didn't get much racing in. Kinda went like this. Got married, had a baby, bought a house, my father died, yadda yadda yadda. I know, I know, all just excuses. Anyway I hope to be back on the track soon.

Chris

·
Registered
927 Posts
Looking forward to it. It would be nice to see another old school pb brother out on the track. You should come out to k2k this winter. Sorry to hear about your father. That kind of stuff sucks. Congratulations on the baby and marriage. frank

·
Tod McGee
3,364 Posts
Randy 44 said:
I use brake parts cleaner but that's pretty much the same thing. works great because it evaporates quickly.
Will that cause any damage to the seals around the crank shaft?

·
Moderator, , Dorkus Maximus
2,749 Posts
brake cleaner/carb cleaner doesnt really get on well w/ plastic/rubber. best to avoid. a little overspray wont kill anything but, generally, i try to minimize the contact.
vince
:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
ya i would stick with the brake cleaner period. I personally dont like carb cleaner. But i ask why do you want to clean the clutch, just use compressed air on the shoes you dont need to do much more than that, if your talking about just the metal then go for it id take the clutch assy off entirely and be carful to not drown the seal but like vince said a tad overspray should be fine and the brake cleaner evaporates fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts