Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had my first real experience with cold times last week.

Living in Houston it's been hot for the entire time I've had by bike, so it usually doesn't take long for my tires to heat up. On Friday it was a little cold and I didn't think anything of it as I left work. I pulled out and went about two blocks to the first light and pressed on both brakes as I was coming to the stop and back tire provided ZERO grip. I could feel it wiggling behind me:eek Pucker factor shot through the roof. The first time it happened I wasn't exactly sure what had caused it, so I continued on. I got about two more blocks and the same thing happened at which point I saw the squiggly line behind me. I pulled over and examined my tires and everything looked fine except for my tire not being warm to the touch. (stock Dunlops)At this point I decided to stop using my back brake for awhile and be a little more gentle.

20 min later when I got home I tried the rear brake again, and no problems.

Just be careful on cold tires as the temps drop.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What can I say, I'm a MSF droid. I know everyone says don't use the rear on a sportbike, and I usually only use it when I'm putting around town, so I've gotten use to applying lite pressure. I even practice emergency braking, locking the rear and other drills every frw weeks, but the ease with which the cold tire started skidding was surprising. Leason learned!!

·
Forum Leader,
17,387 Posts
I rarely use the back brakes on the street...90% of the time just to hold the bike at a stop light...unless it's raining.

Really i just let of the gas and let the engine braking/downshifting do most of the work unless there's a car behind me--i hope they see the brake lights, but certainly don't trust that they will....

·
Openside Breakaway
250 Posts
I use the back brake all the time...it's good for tightening ur line in corners when you go in hot...and it's great just to trail in all the time. I figure it's there for a reason:toothy . But i guess it depends on ur style.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
It's that time of year where we all have to be more aware of our tire tempature! Older tires will especially take longer to heat up.

omen_child said:
I use the back brake all the time...it's good for tightening ur line in corners when you go in hot...and it's great just to trail in all the time. I figure it's there for a reason:toothy . But i guess it depends on ur style.
Trail braking really has nothing to do with the back brake. That term just means that you are on the brakes as you turn in, gradually releasing pressure as you get deeper into the corner and increase side load on the tire.

A little rear brake can help to settle the bike down for the turn, but this isn't really needed unless your a very advanced rider.

From what I've heard, the best way to tighten your line in the corner is to get on the gas harder.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I use the back brake every time I stop. I have a good feel for it and know what it takes to lock up the tire, even on these cold mornings. IMO, in an emergency braking situation, the 20 % that the back brake shaves off your braking distance can mean the difference between stopping fine or t-boning that car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just down shift and ease on the front. A cold rear tire will get a little squirely even when down shifting to 2nd or 1st while stopping. It's kinda fun:D back break is my park break for when Im at stop lights on an incline, otherwise it gets no love.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
cgreer00 said:
I use the back brake every time I stop. I have a good feel for it and know what it takes to lock up the tire, even on these cold mornings. IMO, in an emergency braking situation, the 20 % that the back brake shaves off your braking distance can mean the difference between stopping fine or t-boning that car.
Maximum braking is the point where you're rear tire begins to lift from the ground, and when it is in the air, there isn't anything it can do to help stop you. Most bike/tire combinations today will lift the rear wheel. It is possible that on cold weather, you wouldn't be able to get to that point. Then there would be some braking force left in the rear wheel.

The MSF course is geared torwards all bikes, and I know they say that the rear wheel provides something like 20% of you're braking force. They also say that in maximum braking situations, the front wheel contains in excess of 95% of your stopping power. In sportbikes with a shorter wheel base, and more forward weight bias, not to mention better brakes and tires, 100% of your braking power can be on the front wheel.

I used to use the rear brake all the time, but since I've stopped, I've become a much better and faster rider.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use my back brake all the time but the ratio for me is about 90/10 front to back. I like the wiggles coming from the back when I'm on the brakes hard going into a turn.:D It makes me feel like Nicky Hayden.:rolleyes

·
Registered
294 Posts
I never use the back break unless i am trail breaking, sitting at a light, or an emegrency situation. Same on the dirt!! Frount Break, Front Break, Front Break!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Come here to Toronto and you won't think anything of it when it happens. You get used to it and it does become fun in a weird sort of way!;)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really just want to understand it, not repeat it on a regular basis. I understand Nicky and company do it all the time, but they also get a new tire every 45 minutes. For the rest of us, isn't this going to result in huge flat spots on our street tires if it happens every morning?

·
Registered
100 Posts
cgreer00 said:
Emergency situations is why I stopped using the rear brake. My concern is that in an emergency situation I will use too much rear brake and lock the it up.

·
At BANNED Camp
16,067 Posts
I never used to use the back brake in town when approaching lights or stop signs. Then I got my D&D. It got to be a habit to
use the rear brake as I approach and blip the throttle to downshift. Thing is, now I have think about not doing it or it is automatic.:toothy

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanos...

I can relate to that:shake It was 52 degrees this morning when I rode 35 miles to Trenton, NJ. The rear tire did slide on a couple exit ramps & I know that the tire pressure is perfect.

I guess the message is that tires don't stick as well in the cold & we should take the necessary precautions:eek

·
Buzzard King
735 Posts
Bottom Line

You ALWAYS have to pay attention to what your bike's doing underneath you, cold tires or not. Always be prepared for the bike to slide. Ride as if your bike's at the limit no matter what your speed and you'll always be prepared when things start to step out on you. Works great for around town where there's all sorts of crap that can catch you by surprise - especially in or near intersections.

The concentration required is a great stress reliever too. :thumb

·
Buzzard King
735 Posts
Re: Yo ZRX

eddynasty said:
How is that Eddie Lawson runnin? Is it the 12? Great bike! Is it true that the green ones are faster;)
I'm afraid I can't tell you just how fast the green ones are. I usually don't have the patience to wait around for them. :laughing

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
Hey ya'll...... who can drag a knee on a cold tire?

No one?

Same point. Cold tires WILL skip/slip. But you SHOULD still use your back brake to help stop you EVEN though the ratio is anywhere between 95/5 and 50/50 depending on speed/terrain/road conditions etc....

If it weren't for real, MSF wouldn't teach it NATIONALLY!!! You can't change the laws of physics. Two tires stop you better than one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts