Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm getting ready to do my own paint job on a set of spare plastics for my 600RR.

Question...

The bike is going the have multiple colors, as I'm going for a race-type design.

How do I go about painting the different colored sections? I assume I will be using some type of painter's tape to mask off sections in order to keep paint from overspraying.

How do I go about this?

What type of tape should I use and what order should I paint my colors in?

Sorry for being such a newb, but the whole painting scene is unfamliar to me. I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy though, so a body shop is out of the question.

Thanks!

·
Moderator,
11,236 Posts
There is a blue painters tape, use that. they also sell a paper that is thick and dosent soak in the paint that you will use in combination with the tape. What kind of paint ya using?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: are you using a rattle can

BDsbigZRX said:
or REAL paint???? If it's a rattle can, I'm not gonna waste my time trying to explain how to do it "right", becuase that can't be done with rattle cans!:rolleyes

please don't say rattle can...:nanana What up BD!:p

·
Registered
607 Posts
start with your first color that there will be the least of on the plastic and paint it no tape and let it dry good then tape it useing the blue tape that NYSteve was talking about or fine line masking tape which are both about a 1/4 inch wide and tape your first color off where you want it and take some masking paper and cover the rest of itand then paint your second color and so on untill you get all of your colors painted and then take all of the tape off and clear over it all. unless you are using the rattle can and if you are dont bother.

·
Registered
747 Posts
uh oh......

........if you have to ask, DON'T EVEN TRY painting it:shake :laughing

The blue tape is ok, but 3m also sells a green tape (322?) and a semi-transparent fineline tape that works much better, and is less prone to shrinkage, especially when the reducers in your basecoats hit it.....

What's up Buttdragger?????!!!!!:nanana

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am with BD, if you want it to look decent order a painting kit from Harbor Frieght and get a nice compressor and do it that way. I have seen some can jobs that are OK, but that was solid flat black ( can't mess that up too much). But the info that has been provided seems to be on the right track. You should take pics and keep us updated on your progress. Unless you don't care.

·
If Only I Could Remember...
702 Posts
Wow... you guys sure can discourage someone.

So obviously a spray can job is out - can you hardcore-expert-types give us *morons* some place to read up on the proper tools, proper paints & techniques?

I mean really, I'm sure all of you weren't hatched with supreme painting knowledge... come up off it & help a guy out. I'm interested in learning how to paint too, but if this is the way the community... :confused :rolleyes

·
Registered
747 Posts
dude

I can't even begin to type all I have learned in 4 years of painting:rolleyes If you are serious about this, you'll need at least $700 just for some of your basic tools (compressor, HVLP gun, hoses, etc) and some "basic" suplies. Then you'll need a couple hundred dollars worth of paint, reducers, catylists, etc. You also need an environment that is climate controled and has some form of ventilation. I built a spray booth in my garage, and plumbed heat and AC to it.

If (after all this) you are STILL serious about this, shoot me your phone number to [email protected] and I can call you sometime tomorrow to help run you through the basics.......

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
RubberSideDown said:
And speaking of... what's everyones' (most likely negative) thoughts on this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44677
I don't know why it wouldn't work, the nozzle size is quite small, once you had it set up right I am sure you could do a much better job with that than you could with a rattle can, your spray pattern would also be much wider and you should be able to get a uniform look to the paint.. $70 is much to spend if it works, the alternative to get an HVLP gun and compressor if you don't have one is a lot more money..

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great replies!

Is the paint available from color-rite okay to use or what type of other paint would you recommend? (Spray, not rattle can)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rattle can Paint Job & How To

Click the link below to see how I painted the base coat with Rustoleum Black Night Metallic & Silver Metallic.

The clearcoat is is a Dupont Clear Coat sprayed on with a gravity feed sprayer. Total cost....under $300 (Including the sprayer)

http://home.comcast.net/~clcormier/YZF600.htm

BTW....If you contact the manufactures of the spray can paint and manufactures of automotive paints, you will find that they are compatible in the bonding process. In other words, they are similar in their chemical makeup. It's the additives that differentiate them in how they are applied.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
this hasn't been mentioned yet but instead of throwing down some cash on a low end painting set up can't you just rent a good one for your job? I remember some friends of mine doing that many years ago. I have no idea where you rent one but they managed to

·
If Only I Could Remember...
702 Posts
Wizard600RR said:
Is this a decent compressor? I know it's low-end, but is it enough for the job?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47407

along with this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=7901
I think the CFM's are going to be too low for that, and you'd definitely need a larger tank. From what I've read, a decent setup is going to require a 5HP compressor and something like 15+ gallons for the air tank.

Seems like a lot, but it made sense to me after I thought about it - you don't want to be spraying away some nice paint job & all of a sudden run out of air...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts