does the set-top box need to be on?

or does comcast's DVR replace the
set-top box i got right now? :D

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. Clean said:

Yes (for a price, should be an extra 5 bucks on top of the HD box price)
so, it's not an extra unit?
the Comcast DVR has the HD tuner built in?

i think janet really wants to get a TiVo.
but i don't wanna pay the extra subscriptions.
i think this might be a great "alternative"! :D

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
dual tuner;)
+ VOD

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't like PMs, my box gets full all the time. ;)

but we'll do that... if that's what you like... :thumb

and um... DUAL TUNER? :confused
you're adding to my confusion Dom. :rant

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Dual tuner means you can record two shows at the same time however you have to either be watching one of them or the DVR needs to be on that channel.

VoIp is something entirely different, but something I'm sure the big C will bring you in Q4 of '05

I pm'd you since my opinion was, er, honest?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heh heh... i like to leave everything out in the open,
unless of course it's some underground secret Comcast information
that SHOULDN'T be shared in a public forum...

thanks again.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
VOiP is phone service. we'll have something better than that next year ;)

VOD is Video On Demand. It is free and you can watch anything in the library that you subscribe to for absolutely free. Anytime! No schedules except yours! You can pause, rewind, play, fast forward. Stop and resume where left off or go back to the beginning. You can do it with PPV movies too! Tons of hours of programming!

+1 what mike said about the dual tuner, but also you can watch anything you already recorded on top of recording 2 different shows with 1 DVR cable receiver. How's that for amazement? Want more? Will you'll have to stick around for 2005 to get more!:D

You can setup the DVR to record series. For instance, I setup to record the survivor all episodes and no repeats. You can do that! all with the touch of your remote control!

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
complicated it be not!

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice. janet is the one that wants it more then i,
so i think she'll be excited to hear about this.

fear not, i will not show her the boards,
then she'll know what i really do at work. :D

·
Super Greg's DJ Partner
1,670 Posts
Damn where have i been, comcast has a dvr now? My father in law lives out in the boonies and is with Wave or some shit, and he was telling me how today they are coming to install a new cable box/dvr... i was like geez whens comcast going to get down with the plan... and lookie here, sounds like they did. Guess its time to go surf the comcast website.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I have the Comcast DVR and I'm here to tell you IT'S THE SHIT!!!! How did I survive this long without it????? I had long contemplated going to Direct TV/tivo but resisted as I have TVs in 3 rooms, but one isn't used much, didn't want a 3 room setup for a room hardly used, out of pocket cost for hardware or install... blah blah blah.

Then along comes the Comcast DVR and problem solved!!!! It's the coolest thing since sliced bread!!! Not only is the DVR part cool, the UI is 32000000000 times better than the POS one the old digital boxes had.

I'm 100% giddy happy with it, and worth every penny of the $10/month subscription.

Yes you can record 2 diff things at the same time, and be watching something you recorded earlier. (but not a 3rd live program) Or watch live and record another. You can record individual shows or a whole series... pretty much everything a tivo does. And it's simple to use... anytime you're browsing in the guide, you can just click to record.

I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Hey thanks for the good review Pete, probably better than I would have given it. If you need anything from us, shoot me a PM and I will be glad to help you out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts