Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Giannini R1 this past weekend in jacksonville, but I got off to a rocky start, I seized the engine. I got a new cylinger and piston and rebuilt it and went back to jacksonville Yesterday to break it in right and get a few HOT laps in at the end of the day. THIS time I followed the break in proceedure to the T and everything went smoothly. So I was able to ride my Blata and R1 back to back to give them a good evaluation.

First my Blata: I bought my Elite 13a (10hp air cooled) as my first bike. It has been threw thick and thin, I have crashed it a few times :rolleyes , and learned how to ride it competively fast (middle/towards the front pack). The motor is a beast, it pulls like a freight train and has never given me any trouble. Just gas it and go. It's handeling is extremley responsive and cuts a line like a cocaine feen. The only maintance I have done is clutch shoes and tires. It looks beatin worse than a red headed step child, but runs like a cat in heat. I love my Blata.

Now to the R1: Well it started off sweet. I pulled the bike out of the box, set up the clipons and peg position, checked the blots, aired up the tires, put gas in it and went out on the track. um I think this is were I made a mistake. After a few laps I finally got the clutch set right, then off I went. At first with only short runs at WOT, but then my grin factor over-powered my common sence and BAMN I was racing. can you say SIEZED. Frank overnighted me a new cyclinder on Tuesday and I got it back together. Ran 6 heat cycles at the fire station on Friday night, then went to Jacksonville yesterday for proper break in. I spent the morning until 2 pm running it with progressivly more throttle. This was actually a great way to learn how to ride the bike slowly (it is a totally differnt bike than my Blata, the R1 is a midi and my Blata is a mini) So when 2pm came I went out for a 15 minute session that would include short runs at WOT, with a short run at top speed at the back stretch on every other lap. This R1 is a whole other planet compared to my blata. It is the most stable bike Ive ever been on, it is actually more flickable from side to side than my blata. Plus, it cuts lines better than that other cocaine feen biatch. I like a bike that you can muscle around and this is it. The 6.2 is very strong but I dont think it pulls as hard as my blata. It feels more like riding a inline 4 street bike (r1) compaired to a L-Twin Ducati (Blata). The R1 has a sceaming top end rush while the Blata has a bottom end grunt. After talking to one of my track buds (SHOUT OUT to my lil' hommie Chris) i think I had the clutch set to high. I had it at 8900, and he thinks it will pull harder and better if it engages around 8300. So Im going to give it a try, afterall thats what my blatas set at. My last few laps were very encouraging cause I had more corner speed riding the R1, thanks to the hydraulic brakes. These things brake harder than TURBO (that dude from the movie Breakin). The feel and feedback let me brake deeper into the corners than ever before, and still gave me enough feel to keep the high corner speeds. I did have one get-off. Luckily it was at a slower corner. But the bike did flip over twice. So I even have a crash damage evaluation. No breakage!!! I picked it up (still running) and rode off for a few more laps (I cant end it on a bad note). Unfortunately i dont know what i did that caused the rear end to slide out so hard (maybe a combo of small bumps and steep lean angles). Overall i am happier than a pig in pOOp with the R1. Hopefully I will be faster on it than my blata.

Tod: I got that cat out of your pants :confused

Attachments

·
Tod McGee
3,364 Posts
First of all, WHAT IS WITH THE DECALS? :confused
Where did you get those, at a flee market?
You will make frank proud with that fine piece of work.
:rant :rant :rant
Tell me that is Photoshop
:shake :shake :shake :shake

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad to see it running good!Come on back when you get a chance.I Promise:hornyange I will put the Little engine back in my RSR.Later,Chris B

·
Tod McGee
3,364 Posts
DRUNK FIREMEN ARE DANGEROUS!!!!!

You do realize the Blata is super proddy and the R1 is a proddy?
There is going to be a difference.

I agree with you....
(It's handeling is extremley responsive and cuts a line like a cocaine feen.)
It handles great. I rode it first in Starke and hated the steering. I was planning on removing oil or ligtening the oil in the damper and after a few laps in Jax, I fell in love with it.

Sorry to know you crashed it on your first real practice.
EVEN MORE SORRY that you decided to put those hideous stickers on it.
Why not get a coors helmet or call your team the silver bullet.

·
Tod McGee
3,364 Posts
CB01R1 said:
Glad to see it running good!Come on back when you get a chance.I Promise:hornyange I will put the Little engine back in my RSR.Later,Chris B
DId you put my 50 open in your bike?
Did it kick your tail or what.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep,And it is a Bullet!!All I can say is I have all out respect for the guys that can handle a engine and bike combo like that.Keyword is throttle management!!Just ask Beer man, he took it out for a few laps.Chris

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CB01R1 said:
Just ask Beer man, he took it out for a few laps.Chris
All I can say is DAMN that thing is fast. The brakes arent good enough to stop the thing. The engine would be better in a Giannini R1, so if you want to swap them out for a while... I just happen to have 1 :thumb :trolls

·
Tod McGee
3,364 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts