Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get insulted, I am also completely new to riding :p

I've been looking at Tricktape's riding gear and a few pieces caught my eye.

Leathers
http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=203&1=204&3=1038

I like this just because I like 1 piece better, and for a leather suit, I can't see any downsides.

Textiles
I'm really not sure what to pick for textiles. I'm really not sure why to pick Textiles over leathers for me, but the main attraction is that quite a few of them are completely waterproof, and it'd be nice to have my riding gear the same as my rain gear also.

Helmets
The ROOF helmets look nice, but I just don't really enjoy the idea of ordering a helmet online until I've tried it on in person. Can I get a few recommendations of a few more popular helmets that are good? Thanks.

Gloves
http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=203&1=205&3=1288

The Highside gloves look great and sound great. I just need more suggestions and comments from people please. :)

Boots
http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=203&1=274&3=642

Looked at those, and felt that they were alright. Again, need more ideas on what to look for.

Raingear
If the gear that is suggested/listed is not waterproof, can you suggest some raingear for me? Thanks :)

Thanks for all the anticipated help :)

·
Forum Leader,
17,387 Posts
Most of that gear is not completely waterproof, but more like water resistant. A light sprinkle, no problem, but if it pours, you'll know it...

I have heard of people using camp-dry and similar products on their leathers, but I wouldn't do that personally.

Bike shops will have rain gear that is designed to fit the body's form when riding, thus doing a better job than the stuff at wal-mart, but at a much higher price. Personally, I think the cheap stuff works pretty good, but I don't have to ride in rain very often.

The suit and other gear is pretty good stuff, and FAR better than a pair of jeans :thumb If you're interested in Textile suits, check out the Aerostitch RoadCrafters.

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, so if you don't get more responses I'll go over everything in your list a bit later, but quickly I'll give you a :thumb for looking into quality gear, it's the only thing between your ass and the pavement when "it" hits the fan :D

I can respond to the ? about the roof helmets...they're top notch in every way that I could see....I tried Rez's out at the last NE Ralley and was quite impressed to say the least...comfortable and quiet. I wear a M Arai, and the Medium Roof fit me like a glove. It doesn't seem like it at first (goes on quite snugly, until you get it over your melon) but once it's on it feels like no other helmet I've tried.....

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
OMG...I just spent 15 mins typing all sorts of info out and IE crashed on me! :mad: ARGH!

Dood, I'm a shopping freak, so I've tried a bunch of gear, I'll tell you my favs if you want.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be absolutely great. Too much information never hurt :)

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Well when shopping for gera,look for the obvious.Leather thickness(cowhide)then there is goatskin wich is okay but not as ggod as cowhide.Look for triple stiched seams.(kevlar thread is best)and double leather in the butt.joe rocket gloves are awesome cause the seams are on the outside and don't rub your fingeres.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You mentioned that you see no downside to 1-piece leathers... Well... OK... But 2-piece sets have a number of distinct advantages for anyone that has to live with leathers on a daily basis.

1) POCKETS are highly under-rated. Until you don't have any.

2) You can mix/match: You can wear just Jacket, or the whole suit; use the same pants with several jackets. An AWESOME set is one perfed jacket, a solid jacket and a pair of good, protective pants. Add a half decent ($100) oversuit for the rain, and you'll be covered for all riding conditions all year round...

3) You can build a 2-piece over time: Buy a perfed jacket... Add Pants... Buy a solid jacket later...

4) 2 Pieces are cheaper for equivalent protection: The makers can use smaller pieces of leather to build the suit. That costs them a lot less than having to find a 6-foot piece of 1.5mm leather, and you reap the savings. This means you can buy a better armored suit for the same cash, or save as few ducats for equivalent protection.

5) You can take your jacket off at a rest and not have to BROIL in the sun.

6) Happiness is NEVER having to drag the top of your $1500 one-piece through the unidentified liquids on the men's room floor in order to take a leak.

7) (Corrolary to #6) Happiness is actually being able to access yourself to take a leak.

8) 2 pieces tend to use slightly less racy graphics. May not matter to you now, but what looks cool now may just look gay 5 years from now.

9) No Monkey-Butt

As long as the top and bottom halves of your 2 piece have a near-full circumference zipper, you are covered for trackdays and schools from beginner all the way up to the advanced/club racer level (when you'll be required to have a 1 piece).

Scott :p

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Lots of good stuff here...

I believe for the most part, that people wear textile for their daily commute, and leather for when they go ride seriously...

The debate rages on about leather and textile and which is better...

I think for most practical purposes, textile is close to leather in protection. I'm sure better textiles are coming out that are even more comparable to leather...

By all means, don't skimp on quality gear... especially if you don't want to have to buy it a second time a few months after you bought the first set because the seams are coming apart...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, if I can afford Textile OR Leathers, and it will be my daily ride and weekend ride gear, which should I choose? I'm leaning towards Leathers....

Thanks again :D

I still could use some help on some good brands and items that people have been pleased with! :)

·
Fine wine expert
3,306 Posts
I look at textile gear as pretty much a one-time use thing. If you go down in a textile jacket it's alot more likely to tear and will likely need to be replaced. Good quality leather gear on the other hand should hold up and just get scuffed up, meaning you can continue to use it. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd take leather every time but of course leather costs more.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If you want to only buy gear once, and want it to last, then you may want to consider leather...

I know Joe Rocket has some good stuff, along with Dainese, Vanson, Fieldsheer, Spidi...

www.newenough.com may be a good place to start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts