Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CF's Official Bookie and Trivia God
9,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tell the type of RAM a computer needs without physically looking
My moms computer is a bitch to open and what not and I want to order some for her when I order all my stuff and maybe my brothers computer too
One has 98 the other runs XP

Peace Out

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
If you know the manufacturer and model number of the PC or the motherboard, you can look it up at www.crucial.com. They manufacture RAM, and their interface will tell you what kind you need.

If you can't even get that information, you're probably better off not trying to replace the RAM in the first place.

...dave
:redcreep

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
JayMan said:
Simple Solution... You suck at the internet! That is all! :redflip :redflip :redflip

(Oh and Happy Holidays ya nut! :nanana)

google your make and model number of
computer dood

·
9,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I ran the model number actually I just went to dell and looked at my specs...of coarse they spell it out in long form...lol

Peace Out

·
9,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RAMBUS INLINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 400M, 64X16, 8C
That is what it says I have....sooo what kind do I need to replace it with RDRAM, DDR this is what I am unsure of

Peace Out

·
9,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YZFRob said:
Has to be Rambus. SDRAM and DDR wont work.
GREAT
DDR is so damn cheap....will have to try and find some then
I wasn't sure if Rambus was a brand or not cause I have not seen it around much

Peace Out

·
Holier Than Thou
8,706 Posts
Zeos said:
Download cpu-z http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php <-download link is toward the bottom, it's small enough to throw on a floppy if need be.

Run it and look at the spd tab...
I just checked this out and I got this. So if I wanted to get new RAM I would have to get what? Also it's saying like 1792.8 MHz for my processor..I have a 2.4 GHz though...Is this thing saying I'm not running at 2.4?

Attachments

·
9,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay when I go to Dell and tell them I want to order memory for an upgrade it says to get
512 MB RDRAM, PC800, ECC, Unbuffered
From them???
So then I can get RDRAM for it then from that info right?

Peace Out

·
Super Moderator
23,512 Posts
I'd get it from www.tigerdirect.com before I'd get it from Dell. (more than likely the same stuff no less).

BTW I think Rdram has to be installed in pairs. Dont quote me though. Would be best to find out before actually ordering. I never had a pc that used that type.

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
Redrider2k2 said:
I just checked this out and I got this. So if I wanted to get new RAM I would have to get what? Also it's saying like 1792.8 MHz for my processor..I have a 2.4 GHz though...Is this thing saying I'm not running at 2.4?

Assuming there's only ram installed in slot1 (see if any others are listed in the "slot" dropdown) you would need PC2100, unregistered, unbuffered DDR (minimum) to upgrade if you want to add to your current ram.

What kind of processor do you have, amd or intel, and what exactly does it say about it? (a screenshot of the cpu page would do here)

·
Holier Than Thou
8,706 Posts
Thanks. Here you go.

Attachments

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
That processor should be running 12x/200fsb, you're RAM is keeping it back since it's PC2100 (133/266DDR)....you need to replace it with PC3200 (200mhz/DDR400) to run it to it's max, the motherboard is detecting the spd on the RAM and setting the fsb to 100....

·
Holier Than Thou
8,706 Posts
So a Ram upgrade, even if it's still 256MB, should give my comp a nice little kick in the pants?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.