Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
Joined
·
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I can't believe I am going to confess to this but here it is...Will one of you GURU's break down the racing classes and orgs I mean I kinda get the breakdown but I don't have a full grasp (you know ..GP..Superbike..yadda) It would be nice to actually understand it a little better I REALLY love watching the races but can't tell you shit other than who won or what track there where on.

(miz hides under her blankie hoping no one calls her a dumb blonde)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,498 Posts
GP bikes are generally not bike that were ever designed primarily for street use. Ie, YAmaha YZF-M1, Honda NSR500, Suzuki RVG500. Usually in classes of 125GP, 250GP and now MotoGP

Superbikes start as stock bikes but go through major mods. Now all are 1000cc across the board. AMA and WSBK are similar

SuperSport bikes are bikes that have only suspension work, pipe, jetted and maybe a supsersport valve job. AMA, BSS (British Supersport) and WSS (World Supsersport) rules do vary a bit though.

Superstock (AMA class) is just the AMA 750 SUpersport remaned.

Pro Thunder is only twins.

Sportsman class is generally older bikes.

Formula Extreme is 1000cc. UNknown as to its future with the 1000cc rule in AMA now.
 

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
Joined
·
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU ROB!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
SuperSport is only 600's though...right? Rob, your saying the supersport class doesn't get any motor work done? No new rods cranks or pistons or anything? Just valve, cams, piped and jetted?

I think they(AMA) should get rid of formula Xtreme and just have the two main classes...SuperBike and SuperSport. Oh yeah, AMA has GP.....GP250's right? Why not 500's?

Just FYI AMA is american Motorcycle Association and FIM is Federacion International Motorcylists.....or something llike that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,692 Posts
cappy said:
SuperSport is only 600's though...right? Rob, your saying the supersport class doesn't get any motor work done? No new rods cranks or pistons or anything? Just valve, cams, piped and jetted?
Different race sanction has different rules and regulations on mods. Far as the AMA goes, Superstock is one of the most OEM factory class out there. The Duc 748 and 749 also races in the Supersport class, inline-4's get a 599cc max size and twins get a 749cc max size limit. 600cc and 750cc technically breaks the limit, thats why you'll never see a rounded off figure like that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,229 Posts
cappy said:
I think they(AMA) should get rid of formula Xtreme and just have the two main classes...SuperBike and SuperSport.
They are headed that way, it seems. Pro Thunder is now a WERA class. 250GP will be fazed out after this coming year, maybe:rolleyes: They can't get ride of SuperStock until the new 1000cc rules are in place, or they loose all but about 15 superbike entries. Then again if the don't come out with a solid rules package the factories may all go FX anyway.
Oh yeah, AMA has GP.....GP250's right? Why not 500's?
They used to. It was called Formula One. It was axed in the mid 80's because costs were spiraling out of control, and the AMA didn't want that. For a while the original Formula USA run by NESBA(I think it was) was a "run what ya brung" class that Kenny Roberts decided to dominate one year. He ran 1 year old YZR500's with Chuck Sorenson and someone else in the class against nitrous running Gixxer 1100's, turbo ZX10's and Methanol running FZR1000's. Kicked their asses with the 2 strokes for an entire season, then was promptly ban from competition.
 

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
Joined
·
19,663 Posts
SprintST said:
For a while the original Formula USA run by NESBA(I think it was) was a "run what ya brung" class that Kenny Roberts decided to dominate one year. He ran 1 year old YZR500's with Chuck Sorenson and someone else in the class against nitrous running Gixxer 1100's, turbo ZX10's and Methanol running FZR1000's. Kicked their asses with the 2 strokes for an entire season, then was promptly ban from competition.
that was done up until about 1997, and ti was awsome.
never got televised, but there were basically no rules on modifications.
some of the cooles bikes in the world raced then.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,229 Posts
karl_1052 said:
that was done up until about 1997, and ti was awsome.
never got televised, but there were basically no rules on modifications.
some of the cooles bikes in the world raced then.
This is no shit. There were some SERIOUS raped ape running monstors in that series. I wish it would have survived better. Fourmula Extreme doesn't even come close right now.
 

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
Joined
·
19,663 Posts
SprintST said:
This is no shit. There were some SERIOUS raped ape running monstors in that series. I wish it would have survived better. Fourmula Extreme doesn't even come close right now.

yeah Formula Extreme is nambsy pambsy compared to the old formula USA.
there is a new formula USA, but it is a spec series now. I think the bikes are limited to 145hp or somethig like that.

BTW, Miz, there are no silly questions.(unless deuce is asking them of women;))
 

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
Joined
·
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
karl_1052 said:


BTW, Miz, there are no silly questions.(unless deuce is asking them of women;))
:lol Thanks for all the answers guys you were all a big help.

Now with that said write down in your mental notebooks miz actually started a thread that turned out informational and helpful and it did not include sex :laughing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,692 Posts
miztress6 said:
:miz actually started a thread that turned out informational and helpful and it did not include sex :laughing
Wutchu wearin' today baby? :redflip
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top