Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
wag more, bark less
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this question is literally about covering my butt. :laughing I'm trying to decide between leathers or chaps (or something like Draggin jeans). I don't have my bike yet, so I can't say how often I'll ride.

I've tried on Draggin jeans. They were OK. I wouldn't mind having a pair. I tried on leathers but they felt too bulky. I haven't tried on chaps, but will probably have them custom made if I decide to go that route. I don't want something that screams "hey, you just got off your bike", but rather something I can wear out and about. Is that too much to ask?

What do you ride in? How often do you ride? Any other suggestions?

·
her
3,166 Posts
When I ride my Harley...its Chaps (if its cold) and they are hott!! :crackup

When its the sportbike...its either leather overpant like these
or on the track, leather riding pants with armour.

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
+1 No matter what you're wearing for me the combo of helmet hair, holding my helmet, my leather jacket, and the bike beside me screams "you just got off your bike!"

·
I went to bed at 8 and got home at 11
17,309 Posts
Here's my 2 pennies.......

When I rode my Ninja250, I was riding in jeans and tenny shoes all the time. I tried to ride in these boots I got, but I found they always got in the way. This had a lot to do with the fact that I LEARNED to ride with tennis shoes on.

When I got my FZR... I decided, that's it, I'm riding in my leathers and from day one, I wore my boots. Now, if I ride in any other "get-up", I feel naked and vulnerable.

As far as looking like I just got off my bike..... :confused Is that really a bad thing?!??! I'm a tiny girl and proud of the fact that I ride a sportbike. I'll guarentee you that, when you ride, and you dress for the ride, not for the look..... no one will say, "Oh, you just get off a bike??!?!". Instead, they'll be more impressed that you ride your own bike and that'll bring up a totally different type of conversation.

Now then, I don't ride a cruiser or Harley, but if I were to wear chaps when I rode... my luck would find me sliding across the road on my backside and wondering, as I picked road rash out of my ass..... "Why was I so worried about looking cute on my bike?"

Also.... I got my leathers from Amita, a fellow CA and she gave me a GREAT deal! Check the ladies classified here frequently and you'll find good deals on gear.

As far as "How often do you ride?"..... when the weather is warm.... almost every single day. But since the weather is crap now, my bike is hybernating.... thanks for that friendly reminder.:(

;)

·
17,309 Posts
If it helps any.......... you'll tend to find out, if you lurk around on this sight enough.......... the boys think that girls with leathers on is incredibly sexy.

I have a two piece, so when I get to whereever I'm riing, I can take off my jacket and "let my pants down" a bit and I'm totally comfortable. :shrug

(...... hmmmm..... I made 2 posts in this thread.... guess that means I've added my 4 cents! ;) )

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
janiemerle said:
I don't want something that screams "hey, you just got off your bike"...
Nothing screams that more than roadrash.

There are several different brands & types of leather pants. Keep trying a few to see what they are like. There's also stuff like the Joe Rocket Phoenix pants, which are mesh w/ armor and can be worn over regular pants.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
How are you going to cover your a$$ in chaps? They don't cover your rumpus at all!

I ordered some pants, but they didn't fit right, so now I need to sell them and get some others. *sigh* They were the rock-tex type material.

I try to ride as much as I can. Lately, I have been so darn busy with my relatives all here....then the weather got REALLY damn cold. So I have barely been riding. :( I live in north FL so I it is easier to ride more than people up north!

Why don't you buy a pair of motorcycle pants that will go over your regular jeans or something? That way when you get to your destination you can just unzip and go!

·
Get a Pair
1,469 Posts
canibeyou said:
If it helps any.......... you'll tend to find out, if you lurk around on this sight (SITE) enough.......... the boys think that girls with leathers on is incredibly sexy.
Yes, because THAT'S why we all ride. :shake I'm sure that will clinch the decision for you. Wear leathers, and make sure you wear as little as possible underneath so when you get where ever you're going you can flash the BOYS. :rolleyes

If you're talking about winter/colder weather riding, I would recommend going with a pair of textile pants you can zip on over whatever you're wearing. Leathers can get pretty stiff in the cold air!

When the weather is nicer, I usually ride in jeans and boots (not such a good idea, I know). I plan on investing in some kevlar/reinforced jeans this spring for casual riding... and possibly leathers for longer trips.

·
Moderator,
2,475 Posts
I ride in chaps, leathers, textile, and just plain old jeans!

I love my chaps, they are definately for warmth protection only, they will not help out much in a crash, but are better the straight jeans.

I wear a mesh textile suit on hot days and my leather suit on long rides or track days, and jeans to and from the store.

I suit up completely for commuting and long rides... I know I will probably hear it about not being completely protected all the time, but thats what I choose :) (I should say I never leave the house with out a helmet... that goes for skateboarding, snowboarding, motorcycling, and rollerblading...)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Who cares what other people think when I'm walking around in my leathers? It's my skin and I like it the way it is. Growing up I fell plenty off my bicycle & skateboard and roadrash is just not my idea of fun :( .

I commute year round in my two piece leathers, back protector included. The pants felt bulky in the store but once on the bike, they felt great.
It's the boots that pose more of a nuisance when walking around town.

·
Obey The Pug
7,899 Posts
i bought myself the alpine stars Cat Pants. they are leather, boot leg, and has knee protection. I think they look great although they don't have hip protection. i got a good deal on them from www.tricktape.com

i bought my BF the Dragging Jeans a while back. IMO they just save you from getting roadrash but doesn't do anything as far as not breaking any bones. I think the cut for women's also isn't all the flattering unless you are going for the "farmer" look.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The draggin jeans cut isn't the least bit flattering on me either. I hate them. But I've heard some women like the cut.

·
17,309 Posts
xxSp33dQu33Nxx said:
Yes, because THAT'S why we all ride. :shake I'm sure that will clinch the decision for you. Wear leathers, and make sure you wear as little as possible underneath so when you get where ever you're going you can flash the BOYS. :rolleyes
Yikes.... hope that wasn't aimed at me!:eek

I was just letting a girl know that guys think leathers are sexy on a girl and part of that is that she rides her own bike too.

As for what you wear under your leathers..... when posing for a sexy calender for your S/O, it is best to wear as little as possible! Your man will dig that and, after all, the calender is for him and not for yourself (hell, I have picturs of me in lingere posing on my bike, am I gonna ride like that? wtf..... NO). When wearing your leathers and going for a real ride... wear whatever you feel like underneath. I personally wear a tank top in the summer and a long sleeve t-shirt during the winter. If need be, I wear a bagpack with some pants inside so I can change when I get to where I'm going. And, no offense, but you can't help what boys think. If a boy thinks you look sexy with leathers and helmet hair.... so be it. We all know they're whacked anyways! :coocoo

And if you're riding and wearing leathers to make the boys swoon... you better be wearing the right gear 'cuz you're not thinking about the ride, you're thinking about looking cute on your bike and that's how you'll end up face first in a tree.

As far as getting off your bike and "flashing the boys"..... I don't know where a comment like that comes from, but to each their own. Personally, when I get off my bike, I have a lot more on my mind than things like that, no matter what I'm wearing under my leathers. Then again, I've never flashed anyone in my life, except for my husband, in the privacy of our own home.:shrug

·
17,309 Posts
I just re-read that and I didn't mean for it to sound bitchy, so I apologize if it does.

I just wanted to let her know that, leathers are a good way to go and no one would make fun of her if she wore them.

Think I'll go get some chocolate in my system before I go post anymore! :toothy

·
wag more, bark less
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Easy on the newbie, ladies! :eek I'm looking for advice, not to be ripped for asking questions.

Looking 'cute' on the bike is not the main objective. :rolleyes Protection *is* most important. I've almost written off the idea of chaps because road rash on my butt didn't sound like fun. I'm new to riding and am trying to get proper gear before I get the bike. I was hoping for links or brand names of items so I can do more research.

The newbie in me thought leathers were worn with very little underneath, so that's where the "I don't want something that screams "hey, you just got off your bike", but rather something I can wear out and about" comment came from. I appreciate the photo of the leather overpants. Something to wear over jeans that I can take off when I get where I'm going. That's what I'm after. I'll now be researching overpants. Do you have some that you like?

On a different note... I got a call yesterday that my riding boots are in! :clap I can't wait to go pick them up. :D

·
17,309 Posts
I'll clear this up even more..... seeing as how I posted without the proper level of chocolate intake yesterday......

I really didn't mean to sound like I was ripping anyone a new butt-hole!

I would never want any girl on here to feel like she couldn't post a question about anything, especially a newbie. I was a newbie not too long ago and the girls here welcomed me with open arms, so I have no choice but to pay it forward to every one eles.

So, again, I apologize for sounding anything but nice.

Now.... if I may ask a question of those that wear chaps..... don't they kinda flap in the wind when you're riding?!!? I think I would be scared of getting the pant leg stuck in something on the bike.
If some chaps wearers could clear this up for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

BTW, Janie.......... Welcome! :hi

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Chaps flapping in the wind? Maybe if the sides have a fringe to them. Chaps zip all the way down a side and don't flap around. I'm not quite sure what you're asking?

·
17,309 Posts
I've seen a few Harley Phillon girls who, when riding past me, the bottom part of their chaps are flapping, like as if the chaps are a flare style (like flare jeans).

Does that make any sense?!?! :confused

1 - 20 of 25 Posts