Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten in the habit of covering the front brake with 2 fingers most of the time. The only problem is I have very small hands, the lever is all the way in so it won't shorten any more, and after some time of riding my right hand is so tired and fatigued.

Should I continue this habit or is it overkill to cover the front brake all the time? Should I only cover the brake in town traffic?

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,280 Posts
Lil Red said:
I have gotten in the habit of covering the front brake with 2 fingers most of the time. The only problem is I have very small hands, the lever is all the way in so it won't shorten any more, and after some time of riding my right hand is so tired and fatigued.

Should I continue this habit or is it overkill to cover the front brake all the time? Should I only cover the brake in town traffic?
it really depends on if it starts to impact your control on the bike. It's always a good idea to cover the brake and I used to do it all the time too... what might help is changing the angle of the lever on the bars (the position it usually comes in on the bars is usually at too much of an angle and puts too much strain on the wrists). Rotate it around the bar a little so there is a straight line from finger to wrist to elbow... that'll probably help quite a bit. Also, you'll eventually start to split the diff. between covering the brake all the time to when it's really necessary. Just my .02. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep...already got the brake lever rotated to the correct position.

·
Moderator,
1,974 Posts
The only time I cover the brake when I ride is when in a high traffic area.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Cruising down the highway or a "risk-free" section of road I suggest no.

Whenever you percieve (good to have heightened situational awareness) some increased potential for risk, cover the brake.

Always in traffic, always when something can come out in front of you, but not to the point it distracts or tires you out.

Good question.

Barry

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
because of my years of off road riding I always cover the brake and clutch with one finger, I have tried not doing it.. too many years of habit.. you will always be ready if nothing else

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.