Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I went to an endocrinologist today. At the beginning the nurse took my bp, it was 98/60. I was braggin' about how healthy I was :rolleyes :crackup Turns out the doc needed more blood tests--a WHOLE BUNCH of blood tests... 6 of the giant vials worth.

The lady got a good vein on the first stick and I was flowin' like a damn geyser. Got almost thru w/ the 6th vial and I got all hot and queasy. I said "I'm gonna pass out" and I was out like a light.

I woke up on the floor. Ed was there so he and the nurses had taken me out of the chair and had me on the floor with my feet up and cold packs on my neck. The doc was takin' my blood pressure. It was 60/40 and my heart was beating 30x's/ min. The doc had the receptionist call 911. We were right next door to the hosp, so the ambulance was there right away. My vitals started getting better and better. Finally, it came back up to like 85/60, then 110/70 like 10 min later. So, I ended up declining going to the ER and came home to rest.

The more I think about what happened today the scarier it seems. It was really wild, never had anything like that happen before--I mean, I get nauseous and faint feeling whenever I have blood drawn but never get that bad. It's not the sight of blood that bothers me, I know that... I just don't know what happened. :eek

Pretty wild endocrinologist office there for a second. :laughing

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,769 Posts
Did anyone feel your breasts while you were past out? It could have been his grand plan?;)

Glad you're semi-okay. That's the oddest experience I've ever heard of with so little blood drawn.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, she felt them BEFORE. :slap :crackup

i'm kinda weirded out by it. dono if it's a bad thing or not so now i get to research something else. :shake

·
Registered
847 Posts
98/60 is already a low BP that we would watch. Do you normally have low blood pressure? 6 vials of blood isnt as much as you may think either. I take that on alot of patients everyday and they are fine. But they all say the same thing u did, "Why so much, leave some for me" LOL Those tubes are filled with serums that take up some of the space and some are thick so it may look like more blood than it really is.

·
"You're not worthy."
2,545 Posts
Low blood pressure, mild anemia, and probable hypoglycemia caused by your weight loss program, plus minor blood loss -- passing out isn't a surprising result. But, 60 over 40 BP is lifethreatening. Did they have any hypothesese for you? How radical of a diet are you on?

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've always had really low bp. :shrug

not radical diet at all. just weight watchers. the only things i've really done are portion control and cut out a lot of the simple carbs (ie white bread)

This was around 3:00, and at 11:30 or 12 I had Burger King (diet coke, veggie burger, and 1/2 of medium fries)

What's hypothese? I'm just past A&P 1, so I dont' know all of that stuff yet... I'm probably mildly anemic, because I don't eat a lot of red meat... I know I was anemic when I was pregnant w/ my son. They are testing for insulin resistance/diabetis too w/ the blood drawn (specifically PCOS stuff)

·
Moderator/Coder,
8,835 Posts
A simular thing almost happened to me once. I was actually gonna go donate blood. So the first thing they do is check my iron count. A little prick in a finger and drop it in a vial. Ok... so they did that, it sank like lead. So they say "Great, high iron count, ok, lets prep you up." So they sit me down, start wiping my arm with alcahol, and notice that I'm getting a little pale. So I'm feeling a bit odd, and start getting a very quesy and doing a bit of cold sweating.

"Are you ok?" says the nurse. I replied that I'm not feeling too good and think that I might pass out. So they take my blood pressure, 80/60. Then they just had me lay down for a few minutes and gave me some juice, and decided that it wasn't such a great idea for me to donate blood after that... :rolleyes

·
"You're not worthy."
2,545 Posts
Hypothesese are just the plural of hypothesis (an educated guess, if you will). Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Effing Limey said:
Hypothesese are just the plural of hypothesis (an educated guess, if you will). Sorry for the confusion.
aaaaah, gotcha.

well, right now, i've come across info that it's normal for young women to have low bps, and my elevated hormones are caused by a malfunction of the adrenal cortex which also may involve hypotension which would cause me to faint... so it all my be related.

my head hurts.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have a friend that can't give blood. She gets like you did after one or two vials. She can't handle the blood though, unlike what you have said.

Probably just a bad day for giving blood.

Since I'm not a Doctor and have forgotten all of my EMT training, I really can't help, sorry.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I had a similar experience today, and every time I go give blood, once a month, for my diabetes. I went to see why my middle fingerS won't stretch back into position... a tendon issue. He says "Has anyone talked to you about getting a shot in your hand?" I say no and he says we'll talk about it when I come back from XRay.
I get back to the room and see the needle and all the stuff ready to go!!! Nothing wrong on the Xray so he cleans my hand, numbs it, and sticks me. Not too bad, until he starts moving it up and down my tendon to get the "Maximum Effect". I'm ok, I'm breathing, trying not to think about it. He sits me up (oh yeah, I was laying down during the procedure) and we are talking and I put my hand to my head and he asks if it hurt when he poked my hand. I replied that no, it didn't hurt, I'm just about to pass out :laughing So he lays me back down and gives me a diet coke.
I know I'm going to pass out once my hearing fades. It "sounds" cloudy, like water after swimming or something.

I also get this way giving blood, whether it be 1.. shit, I've never gotten past 2 vials, so that's all I can say about that.
I went to give blood last year and came THISCLOSETOPASSINGOUT!! The dumb man couldn't get a good vein, said I had "Deep Veins" and kept poking and prodding till I felt queasy and weak and deaf and almost passed out on him. He finally got the needle in by the time I was gonna pass out, so they put the chair back to recline - AND I STOPPED FLOWING BLOOD! It frickin figured :clap

So, yeah, your BP is low. Mine is low too, but never that low. I think you just psych yourself out and get to feelin that way. That's what happened w/ the cortizone. I just THOUGHT about it and wanted to pass out. Shit, just reading this THREAD gave me the same beginning - to - pass - out feeling.

I'm such a wuss :D

·
Moderator/Coder,
8,835 Posts
Well, I had small blood draws bi-weekly for the duration of almost a year and a half because of some medicine I was on and they were making sure it wouldn't screw up my liver. And the small vials I can handle, even two or three. But something about having a whole pint drawn really freaked me out that day and made me want to pass out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the same problems with blood pressure. Having low bp I think it is around what you were at (when relaxed 90's over 60's). Also a low resting heart rate doesn't help. (mid 50's) Being 6 foot 3 this isn't exactly a good thing. Stand up too fast and its lights out. Great way to scare friends and family when you stand up, walk 4 feet and fall flat on your face or bounce off shit on the way down. Also I am told the eyes open twitching is quite neat also.:laughing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts