Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am patiently waiting for my steering damper to come in from Two Bros and should be here by the middle of next week.:D The Have had my 954 for about two months and 5000 miles and really didn't have any trouble with the head shakes at all and wasn't planning on installing a damper. The reason I decided to get one was a bad scare that I had when exiting a corner over rough pavement (I guess it was rough pavement?:confused ) The bars shook violently side to side. I tried to mantain my current speed as to try and calm things down a bit and finally made it through the ordeal.;) My question before this gets too long is will a damper prevent this or is the damper there just to make head shakes less prone to become full on tankslappers? Headshakes don't bother me but what I experienced the other day was some scary stuff peeps. Thanks for any info!:D

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
I have never had that happen on mine rrguy. And I have been on some pretty crappy roads. Let me know how it works on your bike.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Avery said:
I have never had that happen on mine rrguy. And I have been on some pretty crappy roads. Let me know how it works on your bike.
Did you have the update done? I have not and don't plan to. I like the quick steering but I don't want that incident to happen again.:confused

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
No update for me....like mine just the way she is. Very well behaved.

·
Registered
42 Posts
next time it happens. push down on the bars. the reason it happends is the front tire is losing contact with the road and it starts to bounce. (tank slapper)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
01zx6r said:
next time it happens. push down on the bars. the reason it happends is the front tire is losing contact with the road and it starts to bounce. (tank slapper)
Ok I know I'm no expert ,but I thought that that would be a bad thing??:confused I've always heard that you should stay on the trottle and ride it through. I may be wrong though.:confused

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
If you have a true tankslapper you will have no option to stay on the gas in most cases... You will be barely able to hang on.

A damper will help prevent headshake from turning into tankslappers, but it won't prevent head wobbles. At least it doesn't in mine. Of course every bike I've had has headshake.

·
Registered
361 Posts
raise up off the seat a little bit to get the center of gravity right. I was taught that many years ago by a Team Vavoline guy, it works.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
roadracer669 said:
raise up off the seat a little bit to get the center of gravity right. I was taught that many years ago by a Team Vavoline guy, it works.
How are you going to do that when your feet can't stay on the pegs?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the replies and tips. I can deal with headshakes I just don't wan't a full on tankslapper.:D As I understand headshakes are just standard buisiness for liter class sport bikes.:redcreep

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
rrguy said:
Thanks guys for the replies and tips. I can deal with headshakes I just don't wan't a full on tankslapper.:D As I understand headshakes are just standard buisiness for liter class sport bikes.:redcreep
For all sporty bikes IMO. My VFR did it, most people around here wouldn't call that bike a sportbike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts