Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DRZ400. This weekend i bent up the handle bars somethin bad. I have no idea on any good brands or styles for it and i was hoping someone could help me out with a good tough handlebar. Thanks

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Moose makes decent, cheap 7/8" bars (I think that's stock for this bike)... but they will bend easier than a good set of oversize, which would require new mounts as well...

check denniskirk.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
I too have a DRZ and replaced the bars with some Pro Taper Pastrana FMX bars (and had to buy the mount kit too). These have worked very well for me, as they are some of the tallest bars made (I'm 6' 2"). I've crashed several times and have never had a problem with the bars bending or breaking - the Cycra bark busters probably help a bit with this though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have renthal fat bars and i love them, they work awesome, but for u i would suggest the pro taper se. se stands for seven eights, they are aluminum and are the same thing as the renthal aluminum bars, but they are like 15 bucks cheaper. same quality, less money? i would definatly go for the pro tapers

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
there are benefits to the oversize bars beyond the aluminum... being larger they displace the energy of impact over a larger area, thereby they are stronger by design. This being said, they are not indestructable and cost considerably more than 'ol 7/8" steel bars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
unless your really gonna hit hard on your handlebars, i would go with 7/8" handlebars they are alot cheaper and you don't need to buy a mounting kit for them. if you think your gonna crash again, go with aluminum. if its a very rare thing for you to lay your bars in the dirt, go with steel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i'm just thinking a drz400? i dont know if he uses it for on/off road, or if he is a serious woods rider. i'm thinking if he does daul sport with them, he probably tries not to crash to much with lights mirrors, you know what i mean

·
Registered
13 Posts
haha i know it took me about 10 minutes to figure out what it said, not that mine is much better. but at my work we just got in pro tapers and they are way better than renthal. they are of same quality, but around 15 bucks cheaper. pro taper just came out with them they are 7/8". they look trick

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
renthal or pro taper, both work good...take your pick. I've never bent a pair of 7/8" bars, so the extra strength of OS bars isn't very valuable to me.

One thing I've heard is that OS Pro Tapers can be too strong...the bars are so hard to bend, they can easily transfer enough force to bend your triple clamps! Not that I wouldn't use them, but I'd rather replace bars...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I managed to bend my protapers last weekend on a knarly high speed jump, but since they're $80 and renthal fatbars are $50 I'm going with the fat bars, There can't be a whole lot of difference? I almost went with the protaper carbon ones, anybody use those?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.