Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies (and Gentlemen, should they peruse this site), I just bought my very first dirt bike: a Yamaha TTR-125. Prior to this, I never even sat on one. I think of myself as an intermediate level sportbike rider, also a cautious one who believes in gaining experience on bikes one discreet level at a time.

Being thusly cautious, at the recommendation of several experienced dirt riders, I bought the nonthreatening aforementioned bike on which to begin my dirt experience. Part of my rationale was that I am only 5'4" with a 29" inseam. My feet actually flat- foot on this bike.

My first short ride around on the snow today was pure culture shock, I'm afraid. I was not too impressed with the bike's capabilities. To be fair, I'm sure, I must ride it seriously in the dirt as soon as we have a thaw. Too much snow now.

My question to all you ladies who grew up riding in the dirt is this: did I buy an appropriate bike to begin on, or should I have looked at a 250 or the zippier YZ series? Perhaps I had delusional visions of lots of speed and torque that I probably couldn't handle right now, but---an R-6 it ain't. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
IMVHO, dirtbikes can throw you around more. Were it me, I'd stay with the smaller, less-zippy version till I could do some badass stuff on it... then move up. I officially started riding on a dirtbike... it was an older 125. Tall, but light and springy enough that it would compress to the point of me feeling comfortable with my touching. I didn't ride it a lot, but I got to do a little "cool" stuff... made me feel like hot shit b/c I could stop and put my foot down and slide to a halt to the side :laughing :laughing Went through a creek a few times and lived... never dropped it either, even though it was a POS and i could've dropped it. First bike I picked up off the ground (guy lays it on the ground, says "can you pick that up??" can i.... :grr)

Wait around a while with it.... worse thing... you realize it is under your expectations... find some schmuck to sell it to ;) and get a bigger bike :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I started on a dirt bike, and will never give it up. This is where I have honed a lot of my street riding skills. The most thrilling part of dirt bike riding, is trying all kinds of crazy stuff, inhaling lots of dirt, balancing at low speeds on rough terrain, hitting the occasional stream, and even performing the flying "V" while flying down a canyon road (the flying "V" was truly by accident, but I held on and didn't fall off). It's carefree riding without worrying about an oncoming car turning left in front of you, or falling off and having a car run over you. For me, the dirt isn't all about speed, it's about control in precarious situations. Like in Trials riding, what Debbie Evans is phenomenal at. You can practice stunts on your dirt bike, too. Don't give up on it, if you look beyond speed, there is so much that you can learn from your dirtbike.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Hi Jet! :hi
I do not ride dirt because of my 3 reconstructive hand surgeries and my 4 ACL replacements :(
BUT, just wanted to say HI! I live in CO Springs - just wondering where you are in CO! Looking for some other gals to ride with around here. PM me if you want so we dont clog up your thread here. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts