Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for the past 7 months ive been trying to get on with WalMart, and Sams Club, to no avail. Well, a month ago when my current application expired in their kiosk, I went up there, and re-applied and this time did not include my college degree or list it on the application for the stocker position, and I just now got a call from the HR manager asking me to come in Monday for an interview for the stocker position. Ive determined this is the company I want a career with, no matter where i start out, and it seems that me listing my college degree for these entry level jobs has been whats kept me from getting called in so far.

Anyway, when I go in on Monday for my interview, do I disclose my college degree? because technically im 3 credit hours short of my college degree(graduated in may 2003, but just now brought to my attention I was 3 hours short so I have to go to a community college to get the last 3 hours), so technically i didnt lie on the application when it said "please list highest grade level completed." Or, do I just not mention my college degree, and just play like I just went straight to work out of high school? What do you think? Also, I typically wear slacks/tie to interviews, but since this is for a stocker position, should I tone it down? What do you think? Thanks for your opinions

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I say tell them your are working on a degree.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Dont even mention it if you dont want to. Leaving off too much education, isnt a bad thing.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
I think you're crazy. College degree and you want to start entry position at Wal Mart? ANyhoo, to each their own. Wear slack, shirt, tie...That should be good enough. Still though, if you don't mention your degree what use is it going to be later on down the line? You're going to have to prove yourself in the field if you start out as a stocker.

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,767 Posts
Leave it off. They're not gonna check if you're trying to get a job as a stocker. What field is your degree in?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Leave it out tell them you are working on you degree after or before working hours . Then conveniently tell them when raise time comes and you have proved yourself reliable and a hard worker

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr. Clean said:
I think you're crazy. College degree and you want to start entry position at Wal Mart? ANyhoo, to each their own. Wear slack, shirt, tie...That should be good enough. Still though, if you don't mention your degree what use is it going to be later on down the line? You're going to have to prove yourself in the field if you start out as a stocker.
Why is it crazy doing whatever it takes to get your foot in the door at the company you want to go to work for and have a career with? If they have a current hiring freeze on all degreed entry level positions (ie-mgt training program hiring freeze in my area currently) why not do what it takes to get your foot in the door another way? thats where im coming from. Id rather be a stocker a little further down the pole and pull in a paycheck than continue sitting at home everyday unemployed waiting/hoping they lift the hiring freeze

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Maybe you could write them an essay about the Socio-Economic Struggles of Walmart Stockmen. Please dont use that exact title. I am currently writing a piece of my own, on the topic.

:nanana

·
Loser with a slow bike
220 Posts
No offense dude, but I don't see why you would want that position after getting a degree. I was a stocker at Sam's Club when I was 20, it was no prize.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jason92z28 said:
No offense dude, but I don't see why you would want that position after getting a degree. I was a stocker at Sam's Club when I was 20, it was no prize.
my main goal in life isnt to stay at the stocker position--its to work my way up the corporate ladder in the company. Everyone has to start somewhere

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
THE_REAL_GOLD said:
Why is it crazy doing whatever it takes to get your foot in the door at the company you want to go to work for and have a career with? If they have a current hiring freeze on all degreed entry level positions (ie-mgt training program hiring freeze in my area currently) why not do what it takes to get your foot in the door another way? thats where im coming from. Id rather be a stocker a little further down the pole and pull in a paycheck than continue sitting at home everyday unemployed waiting/hoping they lift the hiring freeze

Um,,,, because it's Walmart. They hire transients and old people. You must wear depends under garments to get hired there. It is a requirement. To run the gun counter, you have to wear camoflage every day, and be missing teeth. :D

Seriously, you should keep trying other companies if you want in a management program. Try Target, Kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond(they are always looking), etc. There are alot of other options out there. You dont want to be a stocker. I did it in college. It sucks big gigantic dick.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you've had a job while you are in school then just leave it off but if you have a gaping 4 year hole in your employment or education expect them to ask about it in the interview.

But seriously, why would you want to work for a company that wont hire you because you busted your ass to get a degree.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Lying on your application is usually immediate cause for termination at most companies, even if the lie is caught years after the act (like when you are bucking for a promotion and someone pulls your HR file).

FWIW, I'd rethink your plan for climbing the corporate ladder. If WalMart is anything like a lot of retailers, they don't look to their low-level retail staff when filling a corporate position. When they do hire from the reatil locations, it's usually only store managers and assistant managers. Do some research on WalMart's internal hiring practices and see what you come up with. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You graduated from University of Southern California, one of the premier institutions in the West, and want to work at Walmart as a stocker :crackup

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
THE_REAL_GOLD said:
my main goal in life isnt to stay at the stocker position--its to work my way up the corporate ladder in the company. Everyone has to start somewhere
We would all hope that your end-goal in life is not to be a stocker. However, I think what people are telling you, is that you are seriously short changing your professional career by choosing to start so low.

Even once you have your degree, how quickly do you think you would move up the corporate ladder from the door step? :confused

If you need the money, then fine take the position. But keep looking for a job that will utilize your degree and will compensate you appropriately.

My $.02.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
TN650S said:
Lying on your application is usually immediate cause for termination at most companies, even if the lie is caught years after the act (like when you are bucking for a promotion and someone pulls your HR file).

FWIW, I'd rethink your plan for climbing the corporate ladder. If WalMart is anything like a lot of retailers, they don't look to their low-level retail staff when filling a corporate position. When they do hire from the reatil locations, it's usually only store managers and assistant managers. Do some research on WalMart's internal hiring practices and see what you come up with. Good luck.
+1

To add to that, working at a lower-level position isn't nessicarly a bad thing. I've worked less-than-ideal jobs to get my foot in the door.

However, if there is another company hiring the position you're interested in (sales? management? what?), I'd take a job there and then make a carrier change to Walmart (shudder, the've single-hadedly driven Vlasic to near bankrupsy, not to mention their labor practices) when they have openings. Your experiance in a comprable position will be more valuble than experiance within the company.

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
Gee, and nobody asked MY input. :laughing

I worked for WalMart with a JD degree (law) as a Seafood Clerk. :laughing

Of course, this was in Las Vegas where all their stores are understaffed because they can't find reliable people.

I'd not mention the degree. Emphasise your work history. Be neat, be professional, be on time, and they should hire you (I'd think).

Don't sell too hard on management goals. Rather, emphasisze wanting to "learn" the job. They always have room to move people up the ranks who prove themselves.

You'll be a stocker. Start looking into becoming a department manager. From there, it wouldn't be too hard to move up to Assistant Manager.

Do learn to turn off your brain for your work shift though. Wal Mart can be so brain dead at times that if you think about it, it will drive you nuts. :(

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.