Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you know, i laid the bike down a couple of days ago. i was going about 10 MPH and crashed in some thick grass. I hit my helmet into the grass with a slight thunk. It left scratches and some paint chipped away in various places, mainly because there were some small rocks in the grass and the rocks chipped the paint. There are no external cracks in the helmet, and the surface is still very smooth...not indented at all. I took out the liner and examined the foam, and the foam looks perfect all around. No cracks, no indentations, no nothing. It is my only helmet and sending it to get looked at would take weeks and mean I couldn't ride for much of the wonderful fall season here in East Tennessee. So what do you all think? Has anyone else had a low speed get off where their head hit the ground lightly? What did you do with your helmet? My safety is important, but I don't have hundreds of dollars laying around to buy a helmet, especially since I just bought full leathers. thanks!

Chris

·
Moderator,
11,236 Posts
honestly man i had a get off and my helmet only got a minor scuff and im still sending it in. broken bones can be fixed brains cant, again up to you but we spend all this money on gear trying to be safe might as well not sell yourself short and get it looked at.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NYSteve said:
honestly man i had a get off and my helmet only got a minor scuff and im still sending it in. broken bones can be fixed brains cant, again up to you but we spend all this money on gear trying to be safe might as well not sell yourself short and get it looked at.
so what are you going to do while it is getting looked at? do you have another helmet to ride with?

·
Registered
301 Posts
basiclly, if you drop your helmet from a height of 4 feet, it should be repalced...You didn't say what brand ya had..but, as nysteve said..best to have it checked...:D If it's an exspensive lid, like an Arai, or Shoie, send it...and but a cheaper second helmet like a HJC..ect..just in case..just my .2 pesos

·
Moderator,
11,236 Posts
i hit a deer the bike is totaled so i dont have to worry about helmet or no helmet but yes i do have an extra. like i said dude do whatever you feel comfortable with i just know you can drop them a foot off the ground and if it lands wrong it is toast. but again thats "if" sorry i know im not making your decision any easier

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is no way to examine the helmet to see if it is structurally sound? you would think that if the helmet was crumpled and no longer provided protection you could see it from the outside? It is a KBC VR-1....I have sent them an email inquiring about getting the helmet examined, I will see what they say. I have an extra helmet but it is too big for me, I can move it around on my head. I use my bike to get to class everyday so I have to figure out some way to be able to keep riding.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
cgreer00 said:
there is no way to examine the helmet to see if it is structurally sound?
I dont know about KBC, but you can send a dropped lid back to Arai who does a pressure check to determine if the foam is out of spec.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
I am with Steve, buy a cheapy DOT helmet until you get that helmet inspected.
or borrow one for now.
You wear a helmet as insurance against an injury.
are you willing to forsake that insurance for a littel inconvienience?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I dropped one of my lids a couple times and left chips/scratches here and there. They were all one of those, I'm an idiot I left it on the seat of my bike and leaned on it and it fell. Anyway, one day I decided to pull the liner back and check the foam...well...the foam was all distorted, bumps and raised area here and there, so I junked it.

If it's a cheap lid, don't trust it and get a new one, if it's expensive, send it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i would get a new one. just for safety reasons. and just send it in and get it checked out.

a few hundred dollars can get you a pretty high end HJC helmet. i have one of those and it is just as comfortable as my buddy's arai helmet. not as nice quality, and not as quiet but does the job.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You've only got one head. As the rest have pointed out, most reputable manufacturers are able and willing to test your helmet to see if it's still usable...

If you have any question, have it tested, or replace it... just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Since it was a KBC I would just go get a new one!:creep

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i am going to follow your advice and swallow the money and order a new one. I love the VR-1 and I can get it for @ $170 so I will order it and when it comes in, send this one to KBC to be tested. If it checks ok then it will become a passenger helmet or a backup if I fook my new one up. Man that stupid crash cost me $170....I can think of so many better ways to spend that hard earned money :shake but my safety comes first so a new helmet is priority #1.

Oh and casket crew, read this link about the VR-1, sure it is a KBC but it is a damn nice one :redflip

KBC review

·
Moderator,
3,129 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it's the foam that they are worried about. It's the shell that is of greatest concern. When I scraped mine, she (Arai) asked me a few questions about how it happened and then questioned me about what "color" was showing under the paint. Basically telling me that it didn't go deep enough to effect the intergrity of the helmet. I know I should have sent it in to be 100% sure, but oh well..

Chetnik said:
I dont know about KBC, but you can send a dropped lid back to Arai who does a pressure check to determine if the foam is out of spec.

·
Registered
119 Posts
cgreer00 said:
well, i am going to follow your advice and swallow the money and order a new one. I love the VR-1 and I can get it for @ $170 so I will order it and when it comes in, send this one to KBC to be tested. If it checks ok then it will become a passenger helmet or a backup if I fook my new one up. Man that stupid crash cost me $170....I can think of so many better ways to spend that hard earned money :shake but my safety comes first so a new helmet is priority #1.

Oh and casket crew, read this link about the VR-1, sure it is a KBC but it is a damn nice one :redflip

KBC review
$170 really isnt all that much for a helmet. I spent $350 on my Shoei ZII. I think its a good move to get a new helmet though.

-matt *6

·
Registered
119 Posts
quickquarter said:
Lucky you I spent 450 on my ZII.
yea thats the price in the shops, I bought it online at one of those helmet sites.. some people dont reccomend that or trust it though.. I havent had any complaints yet .

-matt *6

1 - 19 of 19 Posts