Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have had two experiences with my little bike that are both ends of the spectrum. The first time I took my bike on the street (after spending many hours in the parking lot) I stopped at the stop sign and this car was coming out of the parking lot honking his horn at me. I thought "OMG, not even out of the parking lot and I've already done somthing wrong". Turns out is was one of my husband's friends - he really loves bikes and has owned many - he wanted to check out my bike. First words out of his mouth were "is that a 600?" :laughing

Then again, my husband's friends came out the other weekend. One drove his bike and the other took his car as he doesn't have a bike. I told him he could drive mine as long as he had his own helmet etc. but he wouldn't as it was too small. So the three of them went out on 2 bikes and a car. Weird. If someone was actually offering their bike to you and you really wanted to ride bad enough, don't you think you would take them up on it? Go figure. :rolleyes: Suited me fine because I really didn't want my baby trashed around I was just being polite.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
laurabelle said:
I told him he could drive mine as long as he had his own helmet etc. but he wouldn't as it was too small. So the three of them went out on 2 bikes and a car. Weird.
Sounds like this guy has "size" issues. :laughing :p :laughing

I ride me wife's VTR250 once in a while, just for fun. Gotta tell ya, dem 2-fiddies are REALLY fun to throw around.

And you can tell your husband's friend that real men can ride a 250 as well as a liter-class sportbike, or a GoldWing, for that matter! (Oh yea, even a 50cc scooter... they're fun as hell too... guess you gotta know how to really ride in order to appreciate bikes... ANY bikes).

·
Registered
120 Posts
AaUuuuGaa! said:
Sounds like this guy has "size" issues. :laughing :p :laughing

I ride me wife's VTR250 once in a while, just for fun. Gotta tell ya, dem 2-fiddies are REALLY fun to throw around.

And you can tell your husband's friend that real men can ride a 250 as well as a liter-class sportbike, or a GoldWing, for that matter! (Oh yea, even a 50cc scooter... they're fun as hell too... guess you gotta know how to really ride in order to appreciate bikes... ANY bikes).

Size issues - now that is funny :laughing

My husband drives a R1 and he takes my bike out once and awhile and has a blast with it, he comes in and tells me it is very "flickable".

·
Registered
445 Posts
Some riders look down at you at a set of lights but most of them seem to like the little ZZR for some reason. They usually say things like, nice 250, or gee they look like a big bike or something to that effect.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yeah sometimes. Sometimes I tell people I have a motorcycle and the guys are like, "NO SHIT? What kind?" I tell them, "NInja 250" and they are just kinda like "Oh" and just nod their head. Most of the time though, they are just shocked :eek: that a girl has a sportbike, especially someone my size. I know sometiems I would have guys honking their horns at stop lights to get my attention.

I do notice though that a lot of people look down on 250s. The common comment I get is, "So, when you moving up to a 600?" Or something like that. Honestly, I seriously doubt I could ever move up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Debs said:
Like you don't get any respect cause you ride the littlest bike on the market?

When I tell people I ride a 250, they scoff.. oh, that's little more than a scooter.

It makes me sad :(
I'm pretty agressive on my Ex250, it is a 2002 I picked up in May and I just broke 10K miles.

A lot of guys I ride with can't believe it is just a 250.

Now there is no way I can keep up on the strights with the 600's and 750's, but I can hold my own in the curves. The Ex250 is so light you can really get into the twisties with it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey, I get the same thing. Folks will hear 250 and just shut down or something. I realize that most folks aren't used to seeing a lot of 250's, but sometimes it really gets to be to much to take. I kid you not, I've had folks say "...so when are you going to get a REAL bike...". It's all I can to do to just give them the :rolleyes: look.

·
Registered
859 Posts
When they say something about the bike just ask them what kind they have. I used to do that all the time. I found most people that make comments don't have bikes of there own.

·
Moderator,
11,236 Posts
Debs said:

When I tell people I ride a 250, they scoff.. oh, that's little more than a scooter.

Well im here to make you happy;) lol
honestly if i wasnt so darn tall i might have gotten one, but i have the same prob with Ducs it's not the engine it's the narrowness etc..

·
Registered
12,907 Posts
Debs said:

Well since I don't have my 250 yet, I can't honestly answer. However, I have a feeling that this will happen when I get mine. But where does it end? I know some people with R1's and GSX-R 1000's talk down to people with 600cc bikes.

Oh well... I don't care what people say. I'm not out to impress anyone. I can ride a 600cc bike, but I really don't need a bike like that for now. I just need a bike that will get me to airline school, home, have excellent gas milage, cheap insurance, take the occasional roads/twisties, & still look good...all in one package. Oh, and the main reason... It's a blast to ride! That's why I picked the Ninja 250r. All I can say is......The 250r rocks!! :thumb

Ride Safe guys!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: Re: Do you ever feel?

Mike Reyna said:
Well since I don't have my 250 yet, I can't honestly answer. However, I have a feeling that this will happen when I get mine. But where does it end? I know some people with R1's and GSX-R 1000's talk down to people with 600cc bikes.

Oh well... I don't care what people say. I'm not out to impress anyone. I can ride a 600cc bike, but I really don't need a bike like that for now. I just need a bike that will get me to airline school, home, have excellent gas milage, cheap insurance, take the occasional roads/twisties, & still look good...all in one package. Oh, and the main reason... It's a blast to ride! That's why I picked the Ninja 250r. All I can say is......The 250r rocks!! :thumb

Ride Safe guys!
Well said Mike. It's not about impressing anyone, it's all about riding and having fun.

On a side note, on those days when ya feel a little racy - a 250 with a skilled and confident rider will run right with liter bikes/600's in the twisties. They don't like to admit that we can... but we can! The important part of all of this is don't push it. Wait till you develope the skill AND confidence to ride a little agressive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
when i had my 250 last year. Most ppl taught it was a 600 :D and they were surprised it was a 250!! Then there where other people asking when are you going to get a new bike? I sold my 250 early 2002 i miss my 250. I liked it better in the twisties its easier to throw in the corners then my current bike (yzf600r)

·
Registered
90 Posts
nobody has ever made fun of my 500. i get a lot of people telling me it was their first bike, and they are tons of fun to drive.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Debs said:
Kwak,

It has to be different for you guys though because you have a mandated restriction on your licence for the first year, don't you?
Ok our licence system is different from state to state. Where I live if you go through a Q-RIDE training facility and you have had your open car licence for more than 3 years you can get you big bike licence (which I have). If you are not going through Q-RIDE or you have not held your open licence for more than 3 years you are stuck on a restricted licence for 1 year. On a restricted licence you can only ride a bike upto 250cc.

cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts