Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

Do you know anyone with photographic memory?

798 views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  R3d 
#1 ·
A coworker who I have worked with at a couple of different companies has a very good memory. He will say that it is not photographic, but I think it is.

he was giving an industry power consumption trend presentation at a platform conference a few years back. When he finished, he opened the floor to questions (My friend and I work at AMD). An intel guy stood up and was trying heckle / harass my friend. Frank (friend) answered this guys question. This guy came back with another in an arrogant way. Frank chuckles when things are elementary to him. Frank chuckles and answers the guy again. The guy questions Frank again about the industry trend and was just being a dick. Frank responded..

" You work for Intel right? According to your document XYZ, chapter 7 states that teh goal set forth was.....X, and according to table 7.6.2 or was is 7.6.3, Intel clearly shows their goals and desires towards this same trend as AMD!"

This guy went red and sat down as Frank was given a hearty applause.

Frank is like this on all sorts of stuff!!!!

Whatever Frank makes is not enough for what he does at work!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a terrible memory...I mean it seriously borders on a medical miracle that I function daily the way I do.

That said....I've known a couple of people with superior memories but I don't know if they were "photographic" or not.:confused

#3 ·
I would be one of them. :D

#5 ·
I've been told that I have a really good memory by a lot of people. I don't "use" it though. I've been an actor for a while now and the one thing I do notice is I can memorize scripts after one read through. The catch is, if I sit there alone and read it...I won't remember. If we're doing an active read through, I know what to say based on others people lines.

Now where did I put my car keys?:confused

#7 ·
I remember like every other thing that I am supposed to. If I am actually listening, I'll remember. If I'm hearing you but not paying attention, it's gooooone..,

#8 ·
I remember stupid stuff... like I could tell you every line I read at the eye doctor's yesterday morning, or the order of the depth-perception circles. It helps if I can read/see things, and helps my memory even more if I write things down - even if I'm just putting what I read into my own handwriting. :shrug I definitely wouldn't call my memory "photographic", though.

#9 ·
Eidetic memory has been challenged as being a myth of sorts. You'll often see children remembering vivid sounds or images or smells but later in life they'll forget it. Then one day when they're older they'll be in a kitchen and smell something that brings back vivid accounts of when they had first smelt it.

One guy who just had a baby commented that when he smelled some A&D ointment it threw him back in vivid memory to being on a changing table as an enfant himself.

Smell is a strong sensor for many of us as children. Any comments?

As for people I work with and their memories being photographic ...or eidetic. Well I can when seeing a person in public that was a patient in our hospital ...to us that was a kidney, or liver or spleen or puncture wound and their name slips but the memory of the object that brought them to the table seems to flash before face.

Desmo

#10 ·
I think I've smoked too much pot cause when it comes to retaining information at the second it's given to me, forget it!

BUT

a week later, I will remember it...and most of the times its too late. LOL
This is why I have 20 calendars.
And I'm never late on sending someone a card because of it. ;)

I envy those with photographic memories.

#11 ·
It depends how important the event was too me if i remember it or not..Like for example...i remember a car accident i was in when i was 4 years old and i remember it clear as day. I remember where it happened, what happened and so forth. I told my mom this and she didnt belive me until i told her what happened and described to her the whole thing and she was like " what the hell?" you remember that better then me :laughing

#12 ·
Everyone has photographic memory, by definition.

Some are just better able to keep the information on hand and recall it at will.

I can read something, or hear it, and remember it in pretty good detail without study. I can recall actual sensations from memory....not just pictures, but the feeling of the moment. It's hard to explain.

Other things, like song lyrics, a person's name, etc never stick unless I create a visual equivalent of the subject matter.

#16 ·
Music usually one time I know 90% of the words after hearing it once.

As for a photograhic memory I dunno what else to call it but generally I can remember things how they were on my desk (wherever) what I was reading and left off, how things where position, what I was doing, who else is in the room etc. With my job now a lot of the times I get called up into meeting about product that was returned 2-4 months ago and majority of the time I can remember , who I spoke to concerning it, why it came back, who was given what paperwork for credit, what was said between my co-workers and myself. Helps keep my ass out of hot water when the credit department fucks up like they usually do.

#18 ·
My mom has a photographic memory... she does crazy stuff like write a VIN down for the registration form once, and she'll remember it for the rest of her life. She actually knows all the VIN's for every car at her household. She used to work at a cafeteria swiping cards, hundreds of students per day would come through there. She memorized many of their student ID numbers, 10 or 12 digits long. If a student forgot their card, she knew there number. It was mind boggling, especially considering the fact that she has very serious ADD and "loses" things like coffee or remotes or food throughout the house on a regular basis.

I kind of do have a memory like that, but for some reason it's only for useless stuff. I hear it or read it once, and know it for the rest of my life. Ask me to describe how a radio galaxy works, to describe a Simpsons episode from quoting a single line in that episode, or the most common street name in America and I'm all over it. People's names, on the other hand... I've met some people a dozen times and I still don't know their names. It's embarassing. Oftentimes I'll eventually get to know someone's personal life before I can remember their name the next time I see them. :2weird

#19 ·
There was a kid in some of my college classes with a photographic memory.

He came to class every day of the semester without a single sheet of paper or a notebook or anything. He'd just sit there listening as the professor spoke, and he rarely made less than a 99 on tests.

I always wanted to beat that kid up. He was an arrogant snot.

#20 ·
I have always had a very good memory, it drives my boss crazy sometimes :laughing

When I was in university I would be in an exam and have a question in front of me and could actually "see" a picture of my notes in my mind. To me that's the very definition of a "photographic" memory, and it came in VERY handy :laughing

#22 ·
My memory is quasi-photographic. I remember the darndest of things with razor clarity.

My Civil Procedure professor in law school has a true photographic memory. He remembers the exam of every student in every class he's ever taught. :shocked

#23 ·
zeropt99 said:

I always wanted to beat that kid up. He was an arrogant snot.
:laughing :laughing

My memory is terrible after I get intoxicated. I will often recall things that happened that night a day later.

#24 ·
Debs said:
When I was in university I would be in an exam and have a question in front of me and could actually "see" a picture of my notes in my mind. To me that's the very definition of a "photographic" memory, and it came in VERY handy :laughing
I can visualize information like that if it's in my own handwriting. If I read a textbook or someone else's notes and don't write things down, it's more difficult to remember stuff during the test.

I remember the way things are positioned when I leave an area, too. My last roommate thought I was anal/OCD cause I could tell if she moved something even slightly. Came in handy a couple times cause she was snooping round and I could tell her exactly where she was looking. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.