Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Most of the time I love it. As for the rest...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
currently i hate my job. but who doesnt hate their job. as for the military i like it. you are always around people who know that the job has to get done.

there is an attitude at work taht you wont find in the civilian world

·
USMC 0341 '89-'93
3,176 Posts
Jet said:
Just wondering how many of you like being in the Military?
Jet, I don't know why you are asking your question. But if it is because you are having doubts with your decision you should wait to judge.

I think you're still in the first year of your enlistment, correct? I know from my experience that my opinion improved every year I was in. I never hated or disliked being in the military. But I liked it more once I was in a couple of years and then when I picked up E-4. I think this holds true for most people who have served or are currently serving.

·
Registered
66 Posts
after 17 years....I would have to say I like it.:p

Hell yeah, what other job offers you the opportunities that the Air Force has offered me? Not many. I have done 3 differnent jobs during my career and have have been around the world twice now, and have gotten to sample 4 different area's in this great country. I am going to have a tough time deciding WHERE to live when I retire.:( So many great places and each offers something different.
If I had to do it all over again, I would do it.
If you joined another branch...sorry.:nanana Air Force has ALWAYs had the highest retention rate in the D.O.D. Must be a good reason for it. I love the other branches out there, as long as they are out there living in the tents and on boats, I DON"T have to!!!!:nanana
If you do decide to get out after your first enlistment...you should be better prepared for the world, but take advantage of what your branch offers you BEFORE you get out. Don't get out and be in the same situation you were in before joining. If you do not have a better situation, then you might as well stay. Take one enlistment at a time and see where it takes you and what you can learn.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I enjoy it. Especially on those trips home and I am the only guy in my circle employed and not living with my parents.

The early years were tough, but once I figured out the game that needed to be played, I found it kinda easy. IF you let the bad expireinces dictate your career, then you will never grow as a person. But this is not for everyone.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Doin the only job (or at least in training for) I've ever wanted to do since I was 5, so I'd have to say ya, I love it. Sure, there are some things that suck, but that's true with EVERY job, but overall, working with other Marines is the best thing I've ever done.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The Air Force has been very good to me, and I do like being in the military. The first few years can be tough because the pay isn't that great. But it does improve after that, especially if you make BTZ.

~Nist :toothy

·
Have you seen Pauldun's frakking awesome post?
9,765 Posts
Sitting at a code pos listening to infernal beeping coming across my headset until my ears bleed, running till I can't feel my feet, rappeling till I can't feel my crotch (a blessing at the time), patrolling till I can' feel my shoulders, back, or knees (somebody's gotta be feelin me by now)? Enduring some the most exhaustive training in my life just to get to Iraq and sit in a tent for 10 months?

Wouldn't trade a minute. It's not the job, it's the people.

Stop and look around at the guys you serve with some time. Watch how they work and interact. Guarantee you won't find a better group of guys to work with. Civilians don't get it. I'm out now and I can testify to that...:backhand

·
Registered
70 Posts
Right now I am still learing the game. But I work with some of the best guys around. WE have some civilians workign in our motorpool and the donk know sh!t. The only reason we have tracks that are deadlined is because the civilians worked on them.

Me I just got to my 1st duty station. There for a week, then went to the field for a week. Next two weeks in the motorpool, and now back out to the field for 2 weeks (we are leaving sunday). Then a week in the motorpool fixin what we broke and the railload for NTC.

We are on the move going back to Iraq before the end of this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been in the Army since 1986. No better job in the world; I have worked with some of the most professional individuals anywhere and although living can get rough sometimes the sense of acomplishment and the knowledge that our country could not be what it is without me and my brothers and sisters in ALL the Armed Forces is awesome. I am absolutely going to miss being in the Army, in fact if it were not for my body starting to give out on me I would likely remain in until they drag me out kickin and screamin..

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love it! Sucked getting stuffed in a shower in a wet willy suit wth all the hot water on and having a gas mask mask on scrubbing the tile with a tooth brush. Man that brings back memories, made you want to be an NCO one way or another but, those kinda' days are over. Some peoples imagination will make or break you.... like having to carry a 81 mike mike can filled with sand all over Gods Creation for two weeks. But, I deserved that one. Anyway, I enjoy it everyday! You will never bond with anyone on the civilian side (I've done both sides of the street) as you will with you Buds in uniform. Even with interservice rivalries, I have alot of friends from all the services.

If you think that your Sgt or your Gunny has it easy well think of it this way...they went through the same crap you have and have paid their dues. At that level they just have a different responsiblity and although it may seem that they are skating look at who has to plan for you to go to the field. They definetly have their hands full. That's why we have young Corporals that hand you your ass now and then.

Just don't get deterred, your time will come! Just make the most of it. Let your heart make that decision to stay or go,,, Don't let some Po Kacky make that decision! Use your heart!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Loved every bit of it. Especially the TDY's as an Air Force helicopter mechanic (Now I'm a loadmaster.) workin with special ops. I've been all over the world and back. I got friends back home that have never even travelled past their State line. I'm an NCO and finally makin some money (TDY's help alot$$).
http://members.tripod.com/strayhorne/TDYs.htm

Attachments

·
...???...
564 Posts
jigga,
that patch looks familiar... you with the 7th at Mildenhall? I was just in NCO Academy with a Life Support guy from there named Marek Czajkowski.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I worked with the 7th Special Ops Squadron. I didn't know Marek, though. They probably got a bunch of new guys since I left. A lot of good times in the AFSOC world. TDY's, fun and hard work. In that order!

If you been to Korea, u know where this is...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.