Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've been riding in the this "cold" weather, it was about 36 this morn, 32 yesterday. just commuting to work about 1/2hr. anyway i got some decent gloves from cyclegear, BUT the tips of my finger's get cold.....

any hints tips...

heated grips people, do they remedy the sit.

how about those temp. heat pads?

·
At a loss for words....
3,698 Posts
Yeah, one hint, don't pee until your hands warms up.....:redflip

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've heard of some people using those mitt things that fit over the handlebars. I think they're designed for ATV's but would probably work for streetbikes too. It would look pretty goofy but they would really block the wind.

Handlebar mitts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've seen the mitts, they have heated grips, heated gloves, or even better WHEN ITS THAT COLD DRIVE unless you don't have a car. I tore my knee up really badly after locking the brakes up on some black ice a couple of years ago. so under 40, and the bike stays home.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
naw, car's fine.....just get home quicker w/ the bike HOV lane, also split lanes when there's BAD traffic like this morn.

not a fair weather rider here....:nanana

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Nope, my fingertips don't get cold. I have Gerbing's heated gloves. Way easier to install than heated grips, and at least as warm. With the Gerbing's jacket & gloves and an Aerostich Roadcrafter, I commute comfortably into the mid-20's.

Good thing, too. I don't have a car. :redflip

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
workerant said:
Nope, my fingertips don't get cold. I have Gerbing's heated gloves. Way easier to install than heated grips, and at least as warm. With the Gerbing's jacket & gloves and an Aerostich Roadcrafter, I commute comfortably into the mid-20's.

Good thing, too. I don't have a car. :redflip

heated gloves would be the way to go.

I have a gerbing heated jacket and wear reg-a-la gloves. My commute is a little over 40 minutes and I wish it was in the 30s when I leave in the am!

The jacket keeps my hands warm enough. Santa might be bringing me gerbing gloves though. I won't complain.

I have a pair of fieldsheer over pants, and JoeSquidRocket ballistic 4.0, a gerbing jacket, a balaclava, and a pair of $30 Tourmaster winter gloves. Like workerant, the mid 20s are no problem. You might have to chase cold air leaks you first few rides at that low of a temp but once you figure out what to do, it's fine.

I've done a few polar bear rides that have amounted to a few hundred mile rides just for a cup of coffee. I am mostly toasty. I am trying to figure out how to properly insulate my neck without using something bulky. I hate having restricted neck movement.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
X - The reason your fingertips get cold is not specifically due to your gloves. It could just be that you are cold in general. Your extremities (read hands and feet) are the first parts of your body to "feel" cold whenever your body temp begins to dip. Those of us who ski a lot become accustomed to this element of nature's early warning system.

Now, that's not to say that a better pair of gloves might not help you out, but it could be a larger issue. Always dress in layers and wear fabrics that wick the moisture away from your body so when you sweat (like when you are getting dressed at home) it doesn't hold in the dampness. Another layer, such as long undies, might help warm your hands up, you'd be surprised.;)

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
Oh, and Lasonic doesn't make a pair. You might have to spend money (or win!) on a name brand item.
:redflip

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well see there in lies the quandry....a full gebring suit gloves...are about $1000.....for the 2-3 mos of cold riding i do.....now a 'stitch is prolly $900....but i'd get more use out of them......BUT my finger's would still be cold.... :shake

:nanana

***you guy's wear a jacket under the gebring? is it that outerlayer?

Hinesy, i've thought about getting some undearmour Heat gear....

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
RACER X said:
well see there in lies the quandry....a full gebring suit gloves...are about $1000.....for the 2-3 mos of cold riding i do.....now a 'stitch is prolly $900....but i'd get more use out of them......BUT my finger's would still be cold.... :shake

:nanana

***you guy's wear a jacket under the gebring? is it that outerlayer?

Hinesy, i've thought about getting some undearmour Heat gear....

JUST GET THE LINER.
Liner = $200. On/Off switch $10
that's all you need dude. You'll be fine in mid 35s. You are a fat lug like me. You'll stay plenty warm.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm not fat.....ROBUST! :laughing

will the gloves plug into liner?

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
yes, they do. I'll doubt you will need them though. Hinesy is dead on. You keep your core warm and it will pump warm blood to your extremities. Trust me. If I turn my jacket off, my legs freeze as do my hands. I turn it one and those items warm up nicely.

·
Iron Butt Association #313244
1,380 Posts
I use heated grips. The advantage of grips are you only have to have one pair of gloves, summer or winter, and you can flip them off or on either high or low depending on the changing weather situation.

$35 and an afternoon will get you everything you need to set your bike up nicely with them.

This will be the first mod I make to every bike I ever buy again.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
where for $35 :D

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
Joel_Cool said:
I use heated grips. The advantage of grips are you only have to have one pair of gloves, summer or winter, and you can flip them off or on either high or low depending on the changing weather situation.

$35 and an afternoon will get you everything you need to set your bike up nicely with them.

This will be the first mod I make to every bike I ever buy again.
you live in CA:confused

I am so fat, I don't need any special gear.:laughing

·
Iron Butt Association #313244
1,380 Posts
X, http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm they're actually $29.95 here. Figure in shipping and getting a bolt or scrap metal to hold the switch in place somewhere on your bike.

Karl_1052, California is a big state. I'm in the Sierra foothills. While it doesn't get as cold in my neighborhood as it does in the midwest / northeast, we regularly get temps below freezing. Other than the cold, there's great riding to be done, even down to the mid-teens. So I ride.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.