Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Thanks for having us all these years, Rez. Best o
20,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created my account but have yet to use it. Just curious, do any of you use it regularly?

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
LeeNetworX said:
I created my account but have yet to use it. Just curious, do any of you use it regularly?
I've been meaning to but I never get to it. I prefer the POP server stuff though...

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
+1

·
Registered
449 Posts
I use it from time to time, but I don't put it on any lists or anything.

·
Registered
563 Posts
there is CF email? :confused

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
If i could use it as a POP account i would. :(

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
The # of users and # of usage per user has been growing consistently since it was launched..... though that could just mean more and more penis enlargement and guaranteed $25,000 winning from exiled prince wahtanbee emails are coming in too.

Pop3 is impossible due to the fact that a local unix account would have to be created for each user, which would be mad impossible at signup time for so many logistic and security reasons, AND would be an admin nightmare as the box just went from 1-2 users to thousands...... and the bandwidth spike due to pop downloading in addition to many mailbox checks per day per user makes it very dangerous to the bandwidth caps etc.

What COULD happen in the future is an LDAP implementation to tie to an IMAP daemon, and the local accounts could be accessed through IMAP-S (secure imap) as to not expose plaintext passwords, but we need a php/middleware god to integrate the non-premade pieces to tie the systems together. If we can find such a person to work with me on the fundamentals and security (for free, as I do), a hybrid imaps/web system (which would come in like pop3, ie local download to outlook express for example) could be available in the future, but due to lack of unix local accounts and bandwidth pop3 is not possible. Pop3's plaintext password transmission kills it even if everyting were perfect, we'd never put so many user passwords in jeapordy, we take privacy here ultra-seriously.

So uh, I'll ask again, any PHP/middleware gods out there want to work on the site with us ?

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
sonick said:
The # of users and # of usage per user has been growing consistently since it was launched..... though that could just mean more and more penis enlargement and guaranteed $25,000 winning from exiled prince wahtanbee emails are coming in too.

Pop3 is impossible due to the fact that a local unix account would have to be created for each user, which would be mad impossible at signup time for so many logistic and security reasons, AND would be an admin nightmare as the box just went from 1-2 users to thousands...... and the bandwidth spike due to pop downloading in addition to many mailbox checks per day per user makes it very dangerous to the bandwidth caps etc.

What COULD happen in the future is an LDAP implementation to tie to an IMAP daemon, and the local accounts could be accessed through IMAP-S (secure imap) as to not expose plaintext passwords, but we need a php/middleware god to integrate the non-premade pieces to tie the systems together. If we can find such a person to work with me on the fundamentals and security (for free, as I do), a hybrid imaps/web system (which would come in like pop3, ie local download to outlook express for example) could be available in the future, but due to lack of unix local accounts and bandwidth pop3 is not possible. Pop3's plaintext password transmission kills it even if everyting were perfect, we'd never put so many user passwords in jeapordy, we take privacy here ultra-seriously.

So uh, I'll ask again, any PHP/middleware gods out there want to work on the site with us ?
Thanks Sonick, I hadn't thought of the problems associated with POP3 (downloads, bandwidth usage, account security).

The IMAP would just be more like a mirror image rather than the actual message though, right? Would that allow for attachments and such? Wouldn't that also take up more space on the server by leaving the message there instead of removing it from the server like POP3? I'd imagine that would take a HUGE amount of space as well... :eek

1 - 20 of 26 Posts