Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mmm.....Gotta admit, I think today I've ridden the best ever on Angeles Crest.

Went out after work tonight, around 4:30. The evening sun was set probably 45* off the horizonline, and making its decent. I figured I had enough time before around 6:30 to go have some fun at Angeles, seeing as I hadn't ridden hard in a few days.

Made my way to the canyon, was kina chilly and I was shivvering in result, but nothing major. Around half way up the canyon I chiled out and it didn't bother me much. I felt kina slow through some sections but noticed it was a bit more fluid than normal, and I wasn't worried about debris nearly as much as before. Just concentrating on the line and looking ahead.

Got to newcombs and saw a guy I knew with a ZX-7R chillin' out with another couple of guys. Picked up a hot chocolate and sat down to chat for a while and warm up. Cup 'a chocolate done with, I took it back in and walked back to the bike...said my goodbyes, and took off back down the mountain.

The wind wasn't nearly as mentally distracting as it had been before. I was able to keep it nestled around 9-10K on the tach, 5th gear, 70mph blasting through the curves. Not really having to let off, and getting some good speed on the downhill runs. Bike was gaining power all the time as the altitudes dropped and it could get better air. My concentration was totally focused on my riding and the lines, shifting, RPMs, everything. it was the most connected I've felt with the bike in a good while.

Anyone else got some cool as shit stories to tell? Just enjoyed the hell out of myself tonight and could feel I was faster than I usually am. Didn't even have to get so low, because the cornering technique I was using was correct. mmm....I love being in the zone! :D :toothy

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
sounds like you had fun, and was a great ride. wish it wasnt raining here so i can take the bike out. :(

my ride sunday was a lot like this, only i was leaning further on purpose. :D finally got my cornering technique down and was pushing myself a bit, but felt very comfortable and natural doing so. it was up in the blue ridge mountains (route 60 and 56 we hit also). 5 sv's running through the twistys railing sweepers and hairpins. it was great and i wish i could do it everyday. sucks its a 3 hour ride/drive up there though. :D :D :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know....when my MR2 group went up to dragon run back in 2000 I remember those roads. great sweepers and twisty bits. mmm....I do miss northern ga roads. Dragon run too...but it was 4 hours from where I lived. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts