Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Wisconsin, in the last couple days, there have been two big pile-ups on the I-system. One was heavy fog related. What would you do if all of a sudden the "soup" closed in? Shift down and nail it? 36 cages left in an almost unrecognizable trash heap wasn't all that pretty! Only 10 dead in that one! I'am currently "choosing" to take part in a Points Reduction Class and even there, they sound like a bunch of Morons. Is it true with all things? The more units (people) there are, the quality falls off in direct proportion?:confused Heavy questions, I know.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
the exit i see i'd get the HELL OFF!

that's so sad.. seen that show on tv where they show the worst pile ups ever?? it's so tragic. :(

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this 1

Yeah, I'd pull off too if it was right there. Otherwise, I think I'd pull off asap, get out on the passenger side and head way over to the side 'till the carnage was over. It would be the shits to crash, get trapped and toasted. It's a situation... the traffic is flowing so fast, nobody wants to slow down and for that matter, how does one when the people from behind just keep coming on, no procedure, no discipline ? Probly one of the worst imaginable situations we may encounter out there. :eek

·
Registered
244 Posts
Driving in heavy fog is one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. If you slow down to what would be a safe speed there are too many clowns that won't. If you maintain some sort of speed to keep from getting run over you will run into the slow guy. One of the worst wrecks in history happened here in Tennessee on I-75. Some rediculous number of cars and trucks (something like 125) with 26 (not real sure of the number) dead. Visibility was down to zero. One state trooper who worked the accident claimed that it was so thick he could not see his own feet. Apapermill near the interstate was blamed for the amount of moisture in the air coming from their open pits, tanks and cooling towers and ponds. Now when the fog is thick enough barricades are automatically deployed that detour traffic off the interstate.
Mark

·
Super Moderator
23,498 Posts
BAsically I slow down. If its that bad, I turn the flashers on and slow down even more to find a way off teh main roads.

As for that crash on I43 yesterday. What a bunch of shit. All that is to blame on DRIVER STUPIDITY. Yep its smart to go barreling into very dense fog at 75mph.:rolleyes

Since I'm ranting about stupid drivers now. Those fuckheads on teh Beltline in MAdison yesterday need to get smacked upside their heads for STOPPING ON A 3 LANE ROAD to see the MINOR accident by FIsh HAtchery. Thanks for backing traffic up for a mile and a half.:mad

·
Registered
307 Posts
All i can say about fog is dont ride in it .Just get you and your bike off of the road and wait it out Evenif its many hours. I had a friend and his girl severly mangeld from geting run over by a big truck from behind.

·
CF's Official Bookie and Trivia God
9,070 Posts
All you non coast living folk :redflip
When I went to school everyday you were lucky if you coudl see 4 feet in front of your car...that was a good day, normally it wasn't even that good
Flip on the high beams, know the roadway you are traveling and just be aware, you'll be fine

Peace Out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts