Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is/was a Bandit 1200 that crashed this weekend. As I hear the rider did sustain a broken collerbone, maybe some rib injuries. When we first came around the corner there was a plume of flames about 10 feet high. Not your average occurance. Kind of tempered the rest of the day.

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
That'll buff right out ;)

Hope the guy's alright...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Whoa. At least he didn't leave an oil slick in the road? :confused

Seriously though, hope the guy is OK.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need_4_Speed said:

How did the accident happen?
This was on a fairly popular twisty around here. From what I heard the truck driver said. This bike passed him on a double yellow coming into a wide corner, the rider looked in his mirror to check if it was clear to pull back into lane, then ran off the road to the left. Eventually the bike bucked the rider off, stuck it's front wheel in a soft spot in the ditch and cartwheeled back up onto the pavement.

The rider was up and walking around at the site, but I'm sure he was more than alittle sore.

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
Damn!

Who brought the marshmallows?:D

Glad the rider is OK. :thumb

·
Registered
704 Posts
ya'll ain't right:redflip

glad the rider was ok

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aero 1 said:
man, thank god the guy is ok. Where you on your bike? Do you carry a cam all the time? hmm, maybe I should start doing that
Yup, riding the same route. I usually carry a Canon S110 Elph(digital camera) when at rallies and gatherings. Comes in handy sometimes.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE! This is post to the HSTA list the owner of this motorcycle made. A very eye opening account. It just goes to show, even if you don't feel that hurt, you can be!
==========================================
I was enjoying a dry FOF this time after suffering through last years' monsoons. Ryan (my son) and I rode down from Tipton IN Friday morning and arrived in time for the welcome chili and dogs. Enjoyed renewing friendships with the Paducah KY group and planned a group ride to lunch for Saturday. We usually only ride in a group of 5-6, but Sat morning left in a group of 13 bikes altogether. The roads were great, a little damp starting out though. We got stuck in a town during their hometown parade that ate up an hour. Coming out of that town, an RC51 took the lead and misjudged a right-hander at the top of a hill, so we all went back and helped get him off to the hospital. We decided to ride in smaller groups, so at lunch we left at different intervals. I had decided to back off a little as I was getting fatigued in the afternoon (since it was 2 PM when we ate). Bike traffic, along with 4-wheelers was picking up and that added to the after-lunch-grogginess. We were starting to have fun on Hwy DD when we came upon 2 pickup trucks following one another. The group was getting spread out, and that was fine, and I passed the trucks before a curve. I made the mistake of looking back at the truck and by the time I re-focused on the curve I was upon it. I hit the brakes hard to slow, let off, and then leaned into the turn, which wasn't much of a turn, but I think I hit some gravel on the outside edge and went off. I high-sided and the bike flipped a couple of times and ended in the middle of the curve, in the middle of the road with small flames coming from around and underneath the battery box. By that time other bikes and vehicles had arrived, but we couldn't extinguish the flames. Needless to say, the oil caught fire next, then spread to the gas, then the tires and everything else. Quite a few people showed me kindness during that time, apologizing, feeling bad for me, but acknowledged that it was a "Kodak moment" and they had to get a shot of it!
I thought I had come through the get-off okay--just very sore, but it wasn't long before my body let me know I was not okay! I was taken to Salem to the hospital by the ambulance crew "from who knows where" that I thought was going to kill me before we got there. It was determined I had 5 broken ribs, a punctured lung and fractured left scapula. In case the lung deflated, they had no one there to operate, so I was transferred to St Louis by the best ambulance crew I could have asked for, and had prayed for. At Barnes hospital I was informed that I had lost 4 pints of blood internally and my spleen was ruptured and had to come out. This hospital did an excellent job of taking care of me and getting me ready to be dismissed Wed. I returned home in the car with my wife later that evening, thankful to be home.
=============================================

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Sounds like he shouldn't have been on the bike in the first place.

Isnt it funny how people always blame there wrecks on gravel/dirt/water/whatever....

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Ugh... glad the guy wasn't completely jacked up.

Last year after a REALLY bad day in the mountains (too many crashes to describe, including the death of an acquaintance) I was grannying down US129 just trying to get home alive. I came around a turn and saw a huge plume of smoke and a couple of riders standing at the edge of the road. I parked and walked back to them, looking down the mountain at a pile of burning stuff. I looked at it for several minutes before I saw an identifiable part: the muffler. This guy points and says, "That's my F4i. I've had it two weeks. This is the fifth bike I've totalled."

Me: What happened?

Him: I came around the corner and dragged my peg. That levered the bike up and over.

Me: Did you have rearsets on? Or the stock pegs?

Him: Stock pegs.

Me: How did you lever the bike up on a folding peg? *cough-bullshit!*

This guy was lying through his teeth. He just blew the turn and wanted to sound tough. Rat bastard should take the bus!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts