Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Raving Lunatic
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as many of you already know, I'm not overly bright. Here's my latest example of why:

I just fixed my hot tub (I had overtightened the drain valve for the filter and snapped the head off, absolutely genious). Being excited about it, I decided that I'd take a couple strings of Christmas lights and hang them up in the gazebo to add some nice lighting. I start at the wall the hot tub backs up to, since that's the wall with the electrical outlet (in the wall, about a foot and a half over the hot tub itself). I'm doing ok, until I step onto the cover, fall through it, and wind up waist-deep in hot water, fully dressed, and holding a plugged-in string of Christmas lights. That went well. :rolleyes

I ended up getting out of the water without more than a few zaps, but then decide that it's probably ok to continue hanging the lights while soaking wet and standing on a floor covered in water. This is with the lights still plugged in, of course. ;)

The only problem was that the lights were wet, so the electricity would occasionally travel down the wet wire into my arm and shock the crap out of me. I probably got shocked about a dozen times before I decided to dry off the lights. Am I up for a Darwin Award yet, or do I actually have to die pulling one of these stunts? :redflip

On the plus side, the lights look really cool now that they're all up. :laughing

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
holy fuck, I'm dyin' here :crackup

·
Raving Lunatic
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PrtclMn001 said:
holy fuck, I'm dyin' here :crackup
So was the girlfriend. She kept yelling at me to give it up before she had to call an ambulance, but my stubborn ass wouldn't do it. I was on a mission, and the little shocks were ok. It was just the big ones that really got your attention. ;)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Oh dear. :shake You're blond, aren't you.

·
Registered
993 Posts
are we related? I can't count the # of times I've almost died trying to "fix" something electrical. I've learned the proper way to work wtih electricity is with this tool called the "phone book".

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Ok, time to hand over your man card. You just failed big time. We need to issue you a Darwin Award candidate card now.:crackup

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mikey said:
So was the girlfriend. She kept yelling at me to give it up before she had to call an ambulance, but my stubborn ass wouldn't do it. I was on a mission, and the little shocks were ok. It was just the big ones that really got your attention. ;)
why didn't she hit the circuit breaker after the first zap? or does she just like watching you twitch?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
"spaaak spaaak - problem"

that's what our thai boat captian said as he stepped out of the engine room (after setting the generator on fire....) :D

s.

·
Rollin' & Trippin'
21,601 Posts
:lmao

You must not be scared of electricity. I hate getting zapped. I fear it so bad, I hate to plug or unplug anything. :shake

·
At BANNED Camp
16,067 Posts
Mikey said:
So as many of you already know, I'm not overly bright.
Actually, I did not know this, but I do not doubt it now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good reading about electrical safety!

Also consider the following:

"Electrical shock trauma tends to produce a very complex pattern of injury, mainly because of the multiple modes of frequency-dependent tissue-field interactions. Historically, Joule heating was thought to be the only cause of electrical injuries to tissue by commercial-frequency electrical shocks. In the last 15 years, biomedical engineering research has improved the understanding of the underlying biophysical injury mechanisms. Besides thermal burns secondary to Joule heating, permeabilization of cell membranes and direct electroconformational denaturation of macromolecules such as proteins have also been identified as tissue-damage mechanisms. "

BIOPHYSICAL INJURY MECHANISMS IN ELECTRICAL SHOCK TRAUMA
Raphael C. Lee, Dajun Zhang, Jurgen Hannig
Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, August 2000, Vol. 2, Pages 477-509
(doi: 10.1146/annurev.bioeng.2.1.477)

In other words...receiving a shock can strip out some proteins at a cellular level and cause further damage that may not be immediately recognized as an effect of shock.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Hmmm, you really should install GFCIs all around your bathroom. This way a short would trip the breaker and prevent all the nasty shocks.

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
do you sometimes feel like someone is behind you, watching, waiting for you, and you turn around and no ones there? Thats the Ghost of Darwin.

·
Thanks for having us all these years, Rez. Best o
20,204 Posts
Steel Chicken said:
do you sometimes feel like someone is behind you, watching, waiting for you, and you turn around and no ones there? Thats the Ghost of Darwin.
That or the Grim Reaper.

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
LeeNetworX said:
That or the Grim Reaper.
Nah, the Grim Reaper doesn't laugh much.
Darwin will be laughing his ass off at this guys antics

:crackup

1 - 20 of 27 Posts