Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the fuel filter on an ex500. I finally have to do something mechanical to my bike and i dont know where to start. Where can i get a new fuel filter. Can it be cleaned out with carb cleaner. Any information is apreciated.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't actually know so, I should probably shut up but, on many bikes it's actually inside tha gas tank (attached to the top of the petcock). I know it is an an EX250 because I happen to have one in front of me :D

If not, it should be a pretty obvious hunk of plastic on the bigger tube running from the tank to the carbs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
rick said:
I don't actually know so, I should probably shut up but, on many bikes it's actually inside tha gas tank (attached to the top of the petcock). I know it is an an EX250 because I happen to have one in front of me :D

If not, it should be a pretty obvious hunk of plastic on the bigger tube running from the tank to the carbs.
Many of the smaller bikes? Some of them :D My older 250 had one in the tank too, but my 9 has it inline with the fuel line to the carbs. Kinda hard to miss.

According to Kawi...the tank has no filter

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah, my katana has an in-line fuel filter, but I'm glad you posted the pic! It's identical to the EX250!

On the fuel petcock (#51023) you can see the long tube and the short tube on top of the petcock. At the top of the long tube you see that it gets skinnier - this is the filter. It's just a plastic filter that attaches on top of the actual metal tube. The short tube, aka reserve tube, isn't a tube at all - it's just the filter.

Does that make anysense? I really have one next to my keyboard but I don't have a digital camera handy to take a picture of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldnt trust the petcock screen for much. I picked up a small clear plastic bronze-element filter at my local shop for less than $3. Hose clamps for another $2... peice of mind = Much more than $5

I have only run 1 tank of gas through it, I looked at it yesterday, it was almost coverd in reddish "gunk" I know my tank was quite dirty but that just shows how much crap gets past those screens. Nice thing about the filter.... all I had to do was blow it out.

Replace your fuel lines too! There prolly crusty and old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeap. You have to drain the tank and pull the petcock. It's in there.

Dieder,
Good idea, I may do that. Problem is, is that there is not much room under the tank and around the carbs. Did you have a problem?

Oh, btw, Shadow, nice pic of the bike. Looks just like mine, mint like mine also!

·
Registered
30 Posts
no problem fitting the filter. I just had to be careful when I put it in that there were no kinks. It was new hose and it now has a "memory" I mean in the month its been on its learned its shape and works great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thats exactly the one I got.

If your a hike from your bike shop. Check your local auto parts store I have seen filters that could pass. OR a small engine shop. A lawn mower filter would be the right size too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those sintered bronze filters are junk. They are next to useless for keeping anything smaller than what will fit through the petcock screen from entering your carbs. Honest.

What you want, if you have room for it, is to go to an import auto parts store and ask them for a Bosch inline paper element fuel filter. The Bosch part number is 71936. If is a few bucks, fits multiple fuel line sizes, and with a paper element actually keeps crap out of your carbs (like powder rust from a rusting gas tank).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts