Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have not followed Motorcycle racing before at all but lately i've been watching some moto on the speed channel. So what all classes and groups are out there? Where do motorcycle companies race? What seem to be the most competative? What size bikes are allowed?

:draggin

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are the major sanctions? motoGP? who races over here? is it 250s and 600s and open?

·
Registered
775 Posts
In the US, there are many amateur/club-level sanctioning bodies. Check this site for links --> http://www.racebikesite.com/motorcycle-racing-associations.htm and check out their rule books, as each org has diff rules for road racing (what size bikes are allowed for classes, etc). Im sure youll find answers to your questions.

As far as pro motorcycle road racing in the US, AMA Pro Racing is the national sanctioning body for the sport. AMA has 6 classes: Superbike, Supersport, Superstock, Formula Extreme, 250 GP and Pro Thunder. But next year, the Pro Thunder class will be governed by WERA, and 250 GP will move in 2004.

Moto Grand Prix (MotoGP, 250 and 125), World Superbike and World Supersport (600's) in Europe are sanctioned by the Federation Internationale de Motorcyclisme (FIM) in Europe.

Obviously youll find more Euro bikes in the Euro circuits (Aprilia, Ducati, Benelli, etc) than here in the US. Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda are the predominant players in AMA Pro Racing with full factory support. Ducati isnt really a full factory supported team in the US although there are 2 teams running in Superbike - HMC Ducati and Austin Blue Bayou Ducati. Most AMA privateers run Suzuki machines.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EXACTLY what i wanted to know. THANKS :thumb

Why is 250 GP moving from AMA?

What is Pro Thunder and Formula extreme?

I know te others are liter, 750, and 600 ccs

·
Registered
170 Posts
badhabityami said:
EXACTLY what i wanted to know. THANKS :thumb

What is Pro Thunder and Formula extreme?

I know te others are liter, 750, and 600 ccs
Pro Thunder is a class designed to promote Buells - it gives the biggest advantages to air-cooled v-twins.

Formula Extreme(FX) is for open class sportbikes - I think it was intended to reflect what sells in the showroom. British Superbikes (BSB) and AMA superbikes will now accept up to 1000 CC I4s so I'm not sure where that leaves FX.

Superbike is 750 CC I4, 1000CC V-twins
Supersport is 600 CC I4, 750 CC V-twins
I'm not sure what goes in superstock

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Burnout said:
Pro Thunder is a class designed to promote Buells - it gives the biggest advantages to air-cooled v-twins.
Way too over simplified. Pro Thunder started in the intention to showcase "alternative" superbikes. Much like the BEARS(British, European, American Racing Series) class of the 90's. Triumph(Daytona), Buells, Ducati(748), and open class single cyl bikes were the target. Since then the rules have morphed into a 2 bike series. Buells and Ducati 748s.
Superbike is 750 CC I4, 1000CC V-twins
Supersport is 600 CC I4, 750 CC V-twins
I'm not sure what goes in superstock
AMA Supersport was/is still only 600cc, for any engine configuration.
AMA Superstock is dominated by 750 I-4 bikes, but Pushrod v-twins up to a certain displacement(1200cc I think) are allowed as well. So you'll see the occational Buell there too. Look for Kawi to run their 636 motor R6 in Superstock next year.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
badhabityami said:
It's considered to be a dieing breed. 2 strokes are no longer viable street machines, so they don't get much coverage here in the US where we believe alot in the "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" mentality. They are true racebikes, and it will be a shame to see them come down out of the national ranks. But, such is progress.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, I was trying to simply - sorry for the technical inaccuracies.

Progress also brings us 1000cc I4 superbike action!

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Burnout said:
Yeah, I was trying to simply - sorry for the technical inaccuracies.

Progress also brings us 1000cc I4 superbike action!
No sweat man. I am a chronic nit picker:D That new rules package has promise to be either really cool, a bit time bust. I'm hoping for the first.

·
Registered
775 Posts
SprintST said:
It's considered to be a dieing breed. 2 strokes are no longer viable street machines, so they don't get much coverage here in the US where we believe alot in the "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" mentality. They are true racebikes, and it will be a shame to see them come down out of the national ranks. But, such is progress.
A couple of my buddies who are former AMA privateers who raced in 250 GP said that getting it out of AMA will probably even be better for the riders and 2-stroke racing as a whole. AMA is so corrupt and the class will probably progress more in WERA.

But the 2 main reasons why AMA is trying to shrink their classes is one, to allow AMA staff to operate better & not overwhelm them with responsibilities, second is to increase practice time for riders. AMA is trying to focus their efforts more on Superbike/Supersport because of the "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" mentality Sprint mentioned. GP bikes are racebikes so I can see why theyve dwindled their efforts in giving the 250 GP more exposure and attention.

However, I just read in RRW that AMA plans to replace the Pro Thunder class with one round of the BMW Boxer cup in Daytona next year. Not sure what the Boxer Cup entails but according to the article, its an international series typically held as a support race during MotoGP weekends. So now, riders are questioning this and saying WTF! AMA never ceases to amaze me with their inconsistencies. Surprise, surprise :shake

·
Registered
18 Posts
You have one, of only seven, Super Speedways in the USA over in College Station.

Texas World Speedway.

Check out The CMRA for information about amateur racing in Texas.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Correction to my post: MotoGP is governed by Dorna (Spanish company), not FIM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts