Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had EZ PASS pretty much since it's inception & for a while the system was jacked up and I'd get numerous bogus violations-all for the tag not registering.
My question is if anyone has gotten one for excessive speed, I remember being reluctant to get it in the first place cause I was told if the tag goes through one toll booth then through the next one in a time not conducive to driving at legal speeds you'd automatically get a violation. It's never happened and I'm pretty sure I've made it from the Essex tolls to Seaside at Ludicrous speeds :D

Also how about the speed limit going thru the toll, they say 15mph & strictly enforced however every night I go to work I take the Irvington exit 144 at about 30 to 40 mph (depending how late I am:rolleyes) never got one for that either.

Has anyone here ever received a violation for speeding ?

·
Premium Member
5,190 Posts
Nope, never got a ticket for that and I've had EZPass since it first came out.. I usually do about 30 mph thru the tolls.

15 mph is just way to slow... Remember it used to be 5 mph when it first came out!!:rant

·
Registered
5 Posts
Once I received 3 letters from Ez-pass in the same day.. The first was a warning, next one was a 60 day suspension and the 3rd was for a 120 day suspension...

I fought these and had my Ez-pass back after a week..

·
C.O.RN and No its not spelled CORN
3,088 Posts
Ace;
To answer the first part of your question, I would say no. One time over the summer I went from Belmar exit 98 to exit 145. My speedo practically did not drop under 100mph the entire trip. I was expecting a ticket (due to excessive speed toll booth to toll booth) but never received one. As for going thru a toll over 15mph, the fastest I remember was roughly around 25-30mph, and I didn't get a summons or warning from EZ-pass.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I can't remember where i heard it, but they said they couldn't ticket you for getting to another toll too fast...

but i cant remember why tho...

So this is pretty much a useless post... :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yup. I got one a while back. They even had a picture of my car going through the toll.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BikeRChiC7189 said:
Yup. I got one a while back. They even had a picture of my car going through the toll.
was it for speeding or for a tag not registering?
how (if so) did you get out of it?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
ace789 said:

There's nothing to get out of. It is not a speeding ticket.

violations with the tag:

Tag doesn't work: they take a picture, check the plate for a matching tag. 9 times out of 10 it matches your account correctly and your plate (rather than your tag #) shows up on your statement

You speed through the toll: they give you a warning with the possibility of suspending or expelling your EZPass account.

EZPass has no jurisdiction to issue speeding tickets. If they try it (which they haven't in a long long time), it will be thrown out of court. They are a private organization disassociated from law enforcement.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ace789 said:

It was for speeding. If I remember correctly, I think I had to pay a fine for it ($50.00?? Maybe more.). I don't remember exactly how much though. It was a few years back, but they got me. I just paid it after thinking long and hard when it actually happened. They had a pic of my car going through the toll w/ the date and time it happened and how fast I was going. Ever since then I crawl through the tolls when using the EZ-Pass. *shrug*

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I once got a warning letter for going too fast thru a toll plaza. If I did it again within a certain time frame, my EZPass was going to get suspended for 60 days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts