Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, let's recap:

I have a 1995 CBR600 F3. It ran beautifully until April 2003 when I was hit head-on by a Mexican [with no insurance] and my bike was destroyed. I'm not bitter.

I spent all summer and all the money I could earn bringing her back to life. In the meantime during my front end rebuild, the engine went neglected and, apparently, got gummed up. I'm not bitter.

That was August. The extreme disappointment and lack of funds left it idle for a while, but now I need to get it back. I took the carbs off and had them cleaned. I replaced the fuel filter. I replaced the spark plugs. And I know the petcock is not clogged.

It will not start and I don't really know what I can do. I just dropped $300 and a put a lot of work into making absolutely no progress. The battery may be dying now, but I think after charging it for a while there should be enough kick to get it to fire up at least once. When I try starting it, it cranks and cranks a few times but never "catches". I disconnected the hose after the fuel pump to see if fuel is actually passing through the pump and it seems to trickle out a little bit at first. I'm not really sure what to look for. I just pray to God it isn't the fuel pump since I replaced that a year ago.

So if anyone has any suggestion, PLEASE let me know. Don't tell me to get a new fuel pump. So far I've already repalced lots of expensive stuff and it has gotten me no closer.

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
i know this may sound stupid, but me and some friends worked on a cbr for 3 days, and couldnt get it started, then on the 4th day, another friend came over to look at it, flipped the kill switch to "on" and it started right up, not saying your switch is turned to "off" but it could be damaged and need to be replaced

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the starting fluid already, and I know it's not the kill switch because it tries to start, it just doesn't "catch". It chugs and chigs but never starts or idles or anything. I tried pulling the throddle while starting it and that didn't help either.

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
Kev said:
I tried the starting fluid already, and I know it's not the kill switch because it tries to start, it just doesn't "catch". It chugs and chigs but never starts or idles or anything. I tried pulling the throddle while starting it and that didn't help either.

the cbr we were working on would turn over and everything!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
maybe its an electrical problem? :confused Checked all the fuses/relays?

·
Iron Butt Association #313244
1,380 Posts
Timing has to be right too, but he didn't mention pulling the cams.

I feel your pain. I wish I could help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
when its cranking do you get any air flowing out over the exhaust?

·
Registered
550 Posts
here is a stupid question is the gas tank valve on, have you checked for a air leak at the carb. boots and test ports, check the plugs for carbon and crud, how long has the bike been sitting, when you turn on the bike can you hear the fuel pump "click" ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, if I try starting it for a few seconds (maybe 5 seconds) the fuel pump starts to click.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Does it have a spark? A good spark? I don't think your problem is fuel. Check the spark at the plug and work back from there. This is just something to throw out there but it could be a pulse generator failed.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
we had a similar problem with a friend's F3... we tried EVERYthing... we eventually ended up draining the gas tank completely to check some stuff and when we filled it back up, it started right up... turns out the gas was bad... lesson learned to start small. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kev said:
Hi, let's recap:

I disconnected the hose after the fuel pump to see if fuel is actually passing through the pump and it seems to trickle out a little bit at first. I'm not really sure what to look for. I just pray to God it isn't the fuel pump since I replaced that a year ago.

So if anyone has any suggestion, PLEASE let me know. Don't tell me to get a new fuel pump. So far I've already repalced lots of expensive stuff and it has gotten me no closer.
What's is do with the ignition key on? The pump should be busting fuel out of there like a pissing racehorse. If it's not, it isn't working.

With that being said, I've had to replace 2 fuel pumps on my '97 because the Mitsubishi electrical components are junk. He's the solution (if the fuel pump is the problem): go to NAPA and ask for the following part number: P74029. It's a generic 12 volt fuel pump made by Carter (intended to keep a 650 cfm 4-barrel fuelled) which is way cheaper (~$60) and better than the overpriced Japenese oem junk. Clip the leads off of the old fuel pump and solder them on to the Carter pump and it should plug right in to the OEM harness. Just get the polarity right......

·
daddy vroom vroom
1,423 Posts
My bike was having the same problem recently. I pulled the carbs and didn't get to start it up and adjust the idle mix when I fished. So, the bike sat through the last three freezes without starting. I pulled the plugs and they were soaked with gas. Replaced the plugs, and waaalah, NOTHING. So, since my battery seemed to be dying I hooked up some jumper cables to my car battery, choke off, WOT and finally it started. Seems with the recent freezews my battery just wasn't strong enough to overcome the maladjusted carbs.

After a few secs I gradually engaged the choke and let it idle on it's own. I did have to adjust the idle screw while it was warming, but I did it ever so slightly until the bike reached it's normal 4k with choke engaged. After a minute or two at 4k I disengaged the choke and it actually ran on its' own for the first time in a week or two. Now it wil idle on its own, but not under 3500 rpm. Since this was my first attempt at cleaning carvs I wasn't surprised, but frustrated nonetheless. Now I just have to figure out why my bike stalls when idling under 3500 rpm and it should naturally idle at 1300 rpm.

Good luck, hopefully something I experienced will help you get yours up and running.

·
BLESS YOUR HEART
1,680 Posts
I had this problem after my bike was stolen. It had been sitting in someone's back yard collecting spiders and dust for the entire riding season. It wouldn't start at the lot, so I had to tow it home and do some work...

I pulled the plugs. They were oily. I torched them so the deposits would vaporize of the ceramic insulator. Before I put them back in, I put a few drops of motor oil in each cylinder. I would be revving the living piss out of the engine and the oil would help with the rings.

I took a set of jumper cables to a marine battery and attempted the start. It sounded like one cylinder tried and another would constantly backfire. The fire extinguisher was ready in case a big fireball belched into the ceiling. After several splashes of gasoline in each cylinder I got a burst of rpms into the power band enough to sustain its combustion. It sounded like the valves had crud gummed up, keeping them from closing all the way. After several minutes, I was able to burn them off. Let me tell you, running the engine without the airbox is LOUD!

I ran a bottle of straight fuel injector cleaner through the fuel lines to help purge the bad gas. Yes, the engine can run off that stuff. After that, I went for a long ride. My bike ran like the day I had just got it off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Here is a thought .If you hit somebody with the bike and your cam chain tensioner was going bad maybe your cam chain jumped a tooth or 2. Do a compresion test.

1 Check for fuel
2 check for spark
3 check compresion

Whats battery voltage if voltage is low it might give enough power to turn bike over but won't let the cdi box fire

1 - 18 of 18 Posts