Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently reading one of the worst Stephen King novels I have ever read (Black House)........and was trying to decide which one was the best I had ever read.

Today, I will say it was It. I had a hard time putting that one down. But then again.......The Shining scared the crap out of me (might have helped that I was around 13 years old when I read it....). I have read almost every single King book.....and have sadly noticed they are getting worse and worse. Maybe I am just older and "numb" to getting scared by these books anymore....... Oh well.....I just hope Black House picks up a bit or I am throwing it in the trash......

Anyone else a King fan here? What is your favorite book?

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
The Stand...
that was my favorite...
I still have the copy that I never returned to my schools library..

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
ziadel said:
The Stand...
that was my favorite...
I still have the copy that I never returned to my schools library..
WHAT HE SAID!

I watch the movie all the time on DVD...... Im illiterate so I cant read, but my wife said the book was better than the movie.

One thing I cant stand is to watch a movie with someone that has read the book already! "Well, they didnt do that in the book..." "This isnt the book, its the movie! SHUT UP!!" :D

·
yes it is
131 Posts
The Stand. Either the original or the revised, longer version.

Although, I really like The Regulators. The stuff he has written as Richard Bachman is some of his best.

Black House is OK, but you have to have read the first book that King and Straub collaborated on (I'm drawing a blank now) and the whole Dark Tower series.

King's best work are the short stories and the novellas. Some of the novels seem like nothing more than extended character sketches, interesting, but not much of a plot.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
Brian F4i said:
WHAT HE SAID!

I watch the movie all the time on DVD...... Im illiterate so I cant read, but my wife said the book was better than the movie.

One thing I cant stand is to watch a movie with someone that has read the book already! "Well, they didnt do that in the book..." "This isnt the book, its the movie! SHUT UP!!" :D
man, make the effort and read the book, the book is INFINITELY better....you'll love it even more

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
I think his best work is his non horror stuff.

The Green Mile(the books are supposed to be WAY better than the movie)
Stand By Me
there are others I can't think of right now, but those are his best works.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Craigdb said:
The Stand. Either the original or the revised, longer version.

Although, I really like The Regulators. The stuff he has written as Richard Bachman is some of his best.

Black House is OK, but you have to have read the first book that King and Straub collaborated on (I'm drawing a blank now) and the whole Dark Tower series.

King's best work are the short stories and the novellas. Some of the novels seem like nothing more than extended character sketches, interesting, but not much of a plot.

The Talisman was the book before Dark House. I read that one and it was O.K. Black House also deals with some things from the Dark Tower series (which I love!). Maybe I just need to stop reading the book while I am dog tired and falling asleep....

Can I change my original answer? The Stand is awesome. I even reread it when the version with the extra pages came out. Whew that book is long. The TV movie of it sucks compared to the book. READ IT! :)

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Yeah I personally like his short stories and novelettes better than his novels (although The Stand and Christine were badass).

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
The Body (Original title of Stand By Me)
Quitters, Inc.
Apt Pupil

there's a couple more, but I forget there names.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Im not a Big Stephen King fan. Some of his work is ok. But If you wont a good horror or scary writer try Clive Barker. I like his work.:thumb

some of his were
WeaveWorld
Cabal
Hellraiser series

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
If you want some scary shit u gotta read books by Dr.Suess...

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
7,107 Posts
IT

and the book he wrote with Peter Straub The Talisman

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My favorite one was where he quit writing... no wait... he's still writing...:laughing

All joking aside, I was heavily into reading King a long time ago, and I read everything he wrote up to Dolores Clairborne, and Rose Madder...

I suffered through the slow updating of the Darktower series until the third installment...

I enjoyed Needful Things... but it came to a point when I just couldn't stand to read about Castle Rock anymore and put King away.

The shine his books had for me had faded and I quit reading his work...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
The short stories he wrote as Bachman were favorites of mine. The Stand was really good too...

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Stand is my all time favorite book by King (I have the whole collection, yes, I belong to the Stephen King Library :D ) That is one book that I re-read every couple of years because it is that good.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
scorpion said:
My favorite one was where he quit writing... no wait... he's still writing...:laughing

his current books do suck...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts