Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience in repairing gouged fairings or plastics? I've got the whole painting and touch-up thing down, but I need to figure out how to apply some sort of filler to get the gouges level with the rest of the piece prior to painting/touching up.

Thanks!
-Tim

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The best results are had with some glazing putty and then you wet sand the area with some 400 and then 800 and you finish up the job with some 1000 grit paper. Also you can use polishing compound in place of the 100 grit. The prep is the most important part for a clean smooth surface. Hope this helps :cool:

·
Registered
866 Posts
There are plastic fillers that are out there that will fill in the spots that you need. Fill in the spots with the compound using a popsicle stick and a piece of cardboard. Make sure that you leave a little more than you want... (for sanding.) then sand it, prep it and paint it. Simple huh?:confused

·
Registered
81 Posts
I heard there is a new adhesive plastic resin that is used specifically for plastic. Let me find out more and I'll let you know. I am need of the same, as I'm "repairing" my plastics too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks. The resin sounds like the most promising method, but I'll start looking around for filler compounds and such.

Let me know if you find more information!!! Thanks!

-Tim

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey ya`ll. we just repaired my roomates f2 plastics using some product bought at a boat supply store. you mix it in equal parts "like jbweld" when it hardens it turns into Hardened plastic.100% sandable. i would however recommend that if you go and get this product that you dont just glaze the finished side of the plastics. goops that stuff on the inside of the plastics. also word of warning. it dries VERY fast usually hardens to rock solid plastic within 25-30 minutes depending on air temperature. also if you mix it an a plastic cup or bowl.. be prepared for the plastic bowl or cup to get "HOT" as it begins to harden. i mean HOT HOT.. :) Hope this helps. id start by calling some of your local boat suplliers in your areas. ask them the actual name brands that are available, im sure there are several. i belive the product is designed for a quick fix hull patch or just even a fiberglass crak in the boat. not sure if it works underwater.. you`ll have to ask about that one. .LOL:laughing :laughing

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
polyester resin works great also you can use epoxy its just a little harder to sand

ive done this millions of times it's the best for plastic farings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts