Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got rid of my collection a while back but have restarted a new one. So far just have one for personal defense, a Glock .45, but will be buying a rifle soon. I would perfer(sp?) a semi auto in .308 or similar. Any suggestions? Is Caster out there?

·
I miss my daggone stars
12,002 Posts
Why specifically .308?

My PREFERED round is the 7.62mm

So versitile! And you can get both weapon and round for 1/4 the price of anything else.

I can get 1000 rnds of 7.62 for $88 all day, an SKS for $200, and a decent AK for $400

Just plinkers, and fun guns, not serious machinery. I turn to .223 and my AR for that!

but for all around fun a 7.62 just gets it for me, and neither my AK nor SKS has ever jammed on me....the only time it mis-fires is the occational bad primer on the ammo. Which is 1 in every OTHER 1000 rnd brick ;)

But anyway...back to your choice....why .308?

hunting?
damage?
cost?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damage and cost. But at the same time I'm not married to the round either. Just want something that will give me some distance and stopping power. Never know when you'll need it. I'm trying to do a little research before I decide on what to get so any info is helpful.

·
Super Moderator
23,498 Posts
WIKD-R1 said:
Just want something that will give me some distance and stopping power.

Look at .300win mag, .338win, .375H&H, .460 Weatherby and the venerable .50BMG if you want distance and stopping power.:D:D

I've yet to get my .300 out to a range with a 1000yd range. The one I went to every so often wont let civilians in right now and the regular range only has a 200yd one. Also teh owner is getting to be a PRICK lately.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i like 7.62 and .223 too. AKs have that glockish charm. AKs and ARs are lighter than a .308 semi auto. have you looked at a DSA FAL? good .308 rifles...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Stay away...FAR away from Springfield Armory. I bought an M1-A about 2 years back, and after 20 rounds the op rod started popping off the guide rail. This would happen once every mag. I take it back to the shop and the gunsmith says the receiver wasn't machined correctly, which was causing the malfunction. Since it was unrepairable, only option was to send it back to SA for a new rife.

6 months later SA ships me a new rifle. 50 rounds into POS#2 the bolt falls apart. How does a bolt come apart on a new rifle you ask? The headspacing was off from the factory!:shake I get fed up with SA and sent it to Fulton Armory for a total refurbish using Israeli milled M-14 parts. The quality difference in G.I. spec milled parts and the cast iron GARBAGE that SA tries to pass off as spec is astounding. I love my M1-A, but it's not worth the money to get it in spec. My advice, if you insist on SA/.308, get a Garand .308 conversion from one of the reputable builders.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
morph said:
have you looked at a DSA FAL? good .308 rifles...
I second that. Another option, and a little cheaper, is to get an STG-58 rebuilt by DSA. IMO it's the best parts rifle FAL out there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do alot of hunting and long distance shooting.

Alot of guys that shoot distance like a .308, easy to modify, reload nice on the shoulder if you put alot of rounds through it.

I have a Remington Model 700 in a 300Mag. Very nice long distance shooting. Very acurate good if you hunt and the average shot is 200 yards+, a little to beefy for my area.

I also have a Remington 30.06 for hunting the East Coast where my average shot is 100yds or less.
I have a Marlin 30.30 for brush hunting.

I carry a Springfield Armory Champion .45 for personal protection

I have a Charles Daly 12 gauge shotgun
and an Italian made .50 caliper black powder rifle

·
Registered
12,907 Posts
CasterTroy said:
Why specifically .308?

My PREFERED round is the 7.62mm

So versitile! And you can get both weapon and round for 1/4 the price of anything else.

I can get 1000 rnds of 7.62 for $88 all day, an SKS for $200, and a decent AK for $400

Just plinkers, and fun guns, not serious machinery. I turn to .223 and my AR for that!

but for all around fun a 7.62 just gets it for me, and neither my AK nor SKS has ever jammed on me....the only time it mis-fires is the occational bad primer on the ammo. Which is 1 in every OTHER 1000 rnd brick ;)

But anyway...back to your choice....why .308?

hunting?
damage?
cost?
A 308 is a 7.62 round. Actually it's 7.62 x 51 :)

The SKS / AK 47 use the 7.62x39. I know I've owned 2 SKS's and a MAK 90. :D

My favorite gun is my Colt 1991 A1 .45 which I had customized by Wilson. I have the following done:

Wilson matched barrel (5") & matched bushing
New sear
Polish extractor
HD spring
Commander hammer
extended beavertail
Polished feed ramp
magazine well was bevelled
light weight trigger set at 3 1/2 lbs
finish is parkarized (original finish)
I have two sets of grips, well 3 actually. One is the Colt rosewood checkered grips, 2. Pachmyar wrap around grips, and the original (which suck). I also perchased 8 round clips (mine came with 7 round) with the rubber butt plate. The sights are trijicon adjustable (rear), fixed front.

I also own:

Marlin lever action 30/30 ( I have a Simmons 3-9 x 32 scope with it) Model 30AS
Maverick 12ga shotgun (black finish) (my Dad has this now)
Mossburg 500 12 Ga
Stevens 12 Ga (side by side) (Dad has this one)
Remington 1100 12 Ga
Ruger GP 100 blue 6" .357
Ruger Redhawk .44 mag (SOLD)
MAK 90
Ruger .22 cal 22/45 (KP 512) model (for target shooting)
Ruger P 89 (SOLD)
Ruger 10/22 22. cal rifle (SOLD)

Also a NRA certified instructor (home defense / basic gun & rifle), and AA freestyle archer (own 2 target bows)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Hey I guess you can wrong with just about anything.

Cut me some slack fellas, I didn't tell em to go get a ruger carbine. :redflip

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Frank Castle said:
Cut me some slack fellas, I didn't tell em to go get a ruger carbine. :redflip
:laughing :laughing I get fired up when I start on my SA rants. It's a name with such a great history and I just wish it would live up to its past.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
FN and H&K. Solid, reliable, and usually very acurate for non-match guns. At least that's what I remember of them.

·
I miss my daggone stars
12,002 Posts
Mike Reyna said:
A 308 is a 7.62 round. Actually it's 7.62 x 51 :)

Thats kinda assumed though. I know AL and know HE knew that ;)

AL the next step logically since you're not married to a round is to look for function.

One of my SKS's has a folding stock

And when folded is really compact. I thoroughly enjoy that rifle the best of them all.

I enjoy the AR no doubt

(next to it is my father-n-laws killer .270 )

but the SKS is my absolute favorite

Cheap
Cheap Ammo
Grossly avalible hi cap mags for cheap(this one means alot to me)
Compact
Reliable
Accurate
Maneuverable
And MEAN LOOKING AS HELL :laughing

My Folding SKS is the best "functionally" of all my rifles. If I had to choose only one to spend the weekend in the bear infested yukon or something...this would be the one :thumb

Of course I'd still have my G30 on me too ;)

Thats just MY opinion though.

·
Hayabusa Madness
2,613 Posts
Actually, for hunting or target shooting the 30-06 round is cheaper, and more readily available than any other type of long gun ammo. The 30-06 caliber is large enough to bring down almost any big game (excluding elephants), and yet still capable of hunting smaller game. AK-47s and CAR-15s aren't useful as hunting rifles, and are no where near as accurate for target shooting as a Sako or Weatherby bolt action rifle. Since these semi-auto replica "assault rifles" cannot be legally converted to full auto, I see no reason for owning one. I have fired 30-06 out to 600 yards with accuracy, and brought down a bull elk with one round. Now some hunters prefer .308 or even .338 mag, but they are more expensive rounds and given equal rifling, no more accurate than the 30-06. I'd recommend getting a quality 30-06 bolt action rifle, for hunting or target shooting, with a good quality scope. Like this one:

·
Super Moderator
23,498 Posts
Mff AR-15's aren't accurate? :laughing Tell that to a friend of mine who uses his for shooting comp at 1000 yds.:D

I hunt deer with my Bushmaster AR-15 shorty. Dropped one last year with one shot. No way in hell would I try to carry my 700 set up as scope only through heavy brush. Thats what the 15's for.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts