·
Moderator,
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shake

Pastor Fired Over Sexual Exploitation Charges
First Assembly Of God Church Fires Reverend

POSTED: 11:40 am CST December 7, 2004

DES MOINES, Iowa -- A Des Moines youth pastor is charged with sexual exploitation by a counselor.

KCCI learned that the married father of four recently turned himself in to Johnston police.

Rev. Mike Hintz was fired from the First Assembly of God Church, located at 2725 Merle Hay Road, on Oct. 30. Hintz was the youth pastor there for three years.

Police said he started an affair with a 17-year-old woman in the church youth group this spring.

Church officials fired Hintz immediately after hearing the allegations.

"They did acknowledge with their congregation that Mr. Hintz had made apparently some admissions to his inappropriate activity, and they took a proactive approach and immediately terminated him from his position," Johnston police Sgt. Lynn Aswegan said.

Neither Hintz nor his attorney returned KCCI's calls.

Copyright 2004 by TheIowaChannel.com. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Being a youth pastor must be a tough job. I know the youth at my church tell me stuff that they would not normally tell their parents. They freak out when they find out I'm older than their parents! :laughing

They treat me like I'm their sister or something....

A youth pastor has such an important job..... sounds like this one let his emotions and desires head down the wrong road. :(

·
Registered
194 Posts
"They did acknowledge with their congregation that Mr. Hintz had made apparently some admissions to his inappropriate activity, and they took a proactive approach and immediately terminated him from his position," Johnston police Sgt. Lynn Aswegan said.
That would be a reactive approach- not a proactive approach. Something happened and they reacted. Proactive would have been to figure it out before something happened and then fired him for planning on having an affair with a 17 year old.

This is sad though.

·
Registered
16,960 Posts
Well, it is still somewhat proactive. Most places would wait until there was a full and proper investigation before making a decision other than temporary suspension.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Captal said:
Proactive would have been to figure it out before something happened and then fired him for planning on having an affair with a 17 year old.
And how are they supposed to do that?

·
Registered
194 Posts
They really couldn't have- that's all I was pointing out- they reacted to the situation at hand.

I'll agree with BG that it was somewhat proactive in that they didn't let it keep going

I always think of proactive/reactive in business terms- for example if I were to eliminate a problem before it could occur that is proactive but if I wait until it happens to do something, that is reactive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i go to an assembly of God church and yes it is a very very sad state of affairs but now more than ever b4 is a time for us to show him the love forgivness and grace of Jesus Christ that we have all recieved. at one time or another it is safe to say we all have fallen just imagine if your failures were made public and you lost your job for them... im not saying he should not have or anything like that just saying we should have a lil mercy on this brother in christ jesus died for this sin to

·
Registered
392 Posts
That particular pastor put himself in a compromising position that he should have never been in the first place. One that holds such an office is called to higher standards......the bible teaches this.
You break those standards then you disqualify yourself from holding the office.

But more importantly it brings damage to the church..................it gives the world reason to talk and accuse.

The bible says to abstain from all APPEARANCE of evil................has nothing to do with conviction.........that is up to the criminal justice system in our courts...............we Christians are to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

It is a shame...................we should pray for him, the church and the accuser / victim as well.

NC_Yank

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
NC_Yank said:
That particular pastor put himself in a compromising position that he should have never been in the first place. One that holds such an office is called to higher standards......the bible teaches this.
You break those standards then you disqualify yourself from holding the office.

But more importantly it brings damage to the church..................it gives the world reason to talk and accuse.

The bible says to abstain from all APPEARANCE of evil................has nothing to do with conviction.........that is up to the criminal justice system in our courts...............we Christians are to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

It is a shame...................we should pray for him, the church and the accuser / victim as well.

NC_Yank

Well said!

·
Registered
392 Posts
"At least he had an affair with a woman... unlike Haggard in Colorado Springs."

What kind of ignorant statement is that..............

Tell that to the church, or his family........or many others that put a certain amount of trust in him.

Tell that to Jesus,...............who bore the stripes of all sin on his body........those are not words of comfort or words of wisdom..............:shake

·
The Bible Thumper
1,797 Posts
Why does it matter what sex he had an affair with? Of all people to make a "judgment" like that...ZGuy! Both of them committed sin and I am thankful that they have been exposed. Why don't we just pray for their repentance and for the healing of their families?

Like us, they are both hypocrites. Being in higher profile positions, they get scorned -- most of our secret sins stay hidden. Oh if we were all exposed like they have been!

Matt

·
Registered
183 Posts
ZGuy said:
At least he had an affair with a woman... unlike Haggard in Colorado Springs.
Zguy, your comments never cease to amaze me. I guess it can be expected since your theology is what it is.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Cacklewack,

Side humor please............I can not help associate your face with your avatar.:crackup
I'm sure there is not resemblance yet........there it is.

Proverbs...A merry heart doeth good like a medicine

What is an Cacklewack anyway?

NC_Yank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts