Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the NESBA Intro course at Pocono on Sunday. Talk about fun!!!! I didn't have the option of staying the rest of the day since I had family stuff that evening, but it only took me 2 sessions to get hooked.

I learned 3 things:
1.) I need a track bike
2.) This is gonna get expensive
3.) I'm going back as often as possible

Bluestreak went with me, but didn't ride. He said I was real close to getting my knee down in turn 1. He said that if I actually had stuck it out more I was definately close enough. I wasn't really worried about putting it down though. I figure it'll come.

The whole day was great. There was however this group of 5 or 6 squids that showed up. One of them binned his R1 on lap 3 of the first section. Another one made a pass in a "no pass" zone (beginners were only allowed to pass on the backstraight or the short chute in the infield). Right after he went past, two control riders absolutely blew by me chasing him down. At pit in the head control rider was reaming him a new one (head control rider was like 6'2" and 230# of solid muscle. I would not want to piss him off). He actually tossed their entire group. When he was yelling at him, I heard him say that he passed 2 riders illegally and almost hit a control rider TWICE!

All in all, it was the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. :D

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Welcome to the addiction. Next you'll want to start racing :D I plan on doing a track day every month in practice for racing in 2004. Oooooh how I can't wait!!! Of course, I've got a two day track day comin' up in less than two weeks!!!!

And that knee will be nothing in the future. You'll look back on it and ask yourself why it seemed so important :p

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clay said:
And that knee will be nothing in the future. You'll look back on it and ask yourself why it seemed so important :p
That's the thing...since I've got my leathers, I've wanted to get it down, but I told myself to take my time and not bin because I'm trying to put a knee down. When I got on the track it was the last thing on my mind. It didn't matter to me at all. I was having a blast.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I got addicted to track days with the car ... just couldn't afford them. Now that I bought a bike specifically for track days, I'm looking forward to lots of track days on two wheels!

·
Registered
704 Posts
YOU'LL TOUCH DOWN WHEN YOUR NOT EXPECTING IT

·
Registered
301 Posts
SCRAMBLER750 said:
YOU'LL TOUCH DOWN WHEN YOUR NOT EXPECTING IT
Cha ching...Yup..

Once again welcome to the addiction...why ya need a track bike..? your street/track bike will work fine, unless ya got some extra $$$$ lying around..:D

Glad ya had a good time...:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am hooked.

99 GSXR 600 Race Ready $5200
Spidi Hook Suit $750
Sidi Verts $240
JR Speedmaster gloves $120
New Helmet (just because) $350
Trailer $500
Misc junk $500
NESBA membership $75
Track day $160ea.
Code school (w/ their bike & leathers $700)
That's just for NESBA track days.

Same for street & dirt.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Neff4i said:
I am hooked.

99 GSXR 600 Race Ready $5200
Spidi Hook Suit $750
Sidi Verts $240
JR Speedmaster gloves $120
New Helmet (just because) $350
Trailer $500
Misc junk $500
NESBA membership $75
Track day $160ea.
Code school (w/ their bike & leathers $700)
That's just for NESBA track days.

Same for street & dirt.

You forgot tires. I go through a set of Street Rennsports every 2 or 3 track days. That really starts to add up.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Hammer4 said:
Once again welcome to the addiction...why ya need a track bike..? your street/track bike will work fine, unless ya got some extra $$$$ lying around..:D
I bought a track bike cause I didn't want to think about trashing the plastics on my gixxer, or rebuilding the forks, redoing the brakes, etc. Instead, I found an old F2 that had had all that work done, and I picked it up for a good price. So, now I don't have to worry about what happens at the track so much, I still have a bike I can ride regardless.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hammer4 said:
why ya need a track bike..?
Because I have an 01 F4i that I'm still paying on. So when the time comes that I do screw the pooch, I don't want to watch my nice shiny street bike go flying down the track. ;)

Now if I didn't still owe money on it, I probably wouldn't mind so much. I don't want to total my street bike and still be making payments on it. I'm not ready to through a $6000 bike down the track. I'll keep my head on my shoulders and try to keep my wheels on the ground, but it is a very real possibility that something bad could happen.

I figure if I try and save as much money as possible....not take the girlfriend out to dinner as much, buy Keystone Light instead of Samual Adams and only feed the dog once a day....I can come up with $1500 for a track bike by spring. :laughing

·
Registered
413 Posts
LeanAngle said:
...I figure if I try and save as much money as possible....not take the girlfriend out to dinner as much, buy Keystone Light instead of Samual Adams and only feed the dog once a day....I can come up with $1500 for a track bike by spring. :laughing
Your guide to financial independence:-

1. Ditch the girlfriend.
2. Give up drinking.
3. Eat the dog.

Have a track bike by Christmas! :laughing :laughing :laughing

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
TJA1 said:

1. Ditch the girlfriend.
2. Give up drinking.
3. Eat the dog.

thats my new plan right there :D

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TJA1 said:

1. Ditch the girlfriend.
2. Give up drinking.
3. Eat the dog.

Hahahaha....that would definately work. Except the eating the dog. I love that dog :D

Girlfriends are definately expensive. I was probably the most financially stable 24 year old around right up until I met her. I guess I owe that to 4 years of being single. Unfortunately, I wouldn't give up my girl for the world. Which means that I'm in trouble. Luckily, she's into bikes and racing, so I might be okay. :D

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Congrats on the new addiction! I did my first track day last Friday. Had a blast, even in the first 2 sessions, which were wet. I got a total of 5 20 min sessions for the day. Unfortunately it was the last one of the year. I gotta wait til spring now to get my next fix:(

TJA1 said:

1. Ditch the girlfriend.
Yeah, yeah. Ditch the girlfriend, but uh, gimme her number first;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
LeanAngle said:
...Luckily, she's into bikes and racing, so I might be okay. :D
Financial Plan #2.

1. Have girl buy track bike.

C'mon LeanAngle, do I have to do all your thinking for you??!! ;)

:think

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SprintST said:
Yeah, yeah. Ditch the girlfriend, but uh, gimme her number first;)
Gee, never saw that one coming :rolleyes :laughing

Originally posted by TJA1
Financial Plan #2.

1. Have girl buy track bike.

C'mon LeanAngle, do I have to do all your thinking for you??!!
You see, I happen to know where there is a salvage bike I can get my hands on. This mornings conversation with Sarah:

"You know honey, you need a bike to start learning to ride on and I need a track bike. If we buy this together, we can share it." ;)

She was very excited, is ready to pony up $$$ to help buy the bike :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
LeanAngle said:
Gee, never saw that one coming :rolleyes :laughing
You see, I happen to know where there is a salvage bike I can get my hands on. This mornings conversation with Sarah:
"You know honey, you need a bike to start learning to ride on and I need a track bike. If we buy this together, we can share it." ;)
She was very excited, is ready to pony up $$$ to help buy the bike :D
LOL!:laughing I used the same tactic on my wife when I wanted my track bike. She has yet to ride it!:D (Told her because it's not street legal).

Now, we are looking to get her a street legal bike.
:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hahahahahahahha! Don't bother; it's a waste of time. I had to get away from it for a couple of years due to work, and when I got back into it, the addiction was worse than ever. Just give up that silly idea right now and enjoy it, and the people, for as long as you can.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts