Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '93 zx7 and would like to put on the new european tail section and may be newer front body parts . is this possible without alot of mods to the mounting hardware? would i beable to put on a newer front fairing and keep my old side fairings?

·
Registered
106 Posts
You could probly swap out for an entire set.. You would most likely have to make mounting brackets... a long as the plastic is about the same size you should be ok..

Note: this could turn into a big chore! I know a guy who fabbed an F4i body onto an F3.. It took him a long time to get everything to line up just right... And he had to keep the F3 Tank... but it looked like an F4i when he was done.. The tank looked a little funny... But no one ever noticed it until he pointed it out...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know a few guys that have put a new r6 tail section on there old (90 to 93) fzr 600s they said it was kind of a pain in the ass but it makes there bikes look so much better

·
Moderator,
8,056 Posts
The tail wouldn't be a giant deal , especially if you used a race seat . I've seen a couple 93-95 ZX-7's with 7R fairings and they has 1 functional ram air tube while the one on the right led to nowhere - it's your ram air that's the PITA for changing things too much . For something that'd look really cool , you could get a 93-95 race upper and put 96+ headlights in it to look like the endurance racers of their day . I think I have a pic of the red/white/green Kawasaki Motor France bike on my other computer that is pretty much as described and it's GORGEOUS - I'll look tomorrow .

OTOH , your 7 is a great looking classic sportbike and you should embrace it : it was the Ducati's only contention in AMA and WSB for several years . Give it some fresh paint in a Muzzy replica scheme and have some serious old school cool :thumb The 7 also had some great finishes in the Suzuka 8 hour and there are many neat paint schemes to pick from that lot as well .

·
USMC 0341 '89-'93
3,176 Posts
joel647 said:
OTOH , your 7 is a great looking classic sportbike and you should embrace it : it was the Ducati's only contention in AMA and WSB for several years . Give it some fresh paint in a Muzzy replica scheme and have some serious old school cool :thumb The 7 also had some great finishes in the Suzuka 8 hour and there are many neat paint schemes to pick from that lot as well .
+1 This is IMO the best advise.

However, if you are dead set on achieving the look of a '96-'03 ZX-7R it would be most cost effective just to sell your bike and buy a clean used ZX-7R.

That aside, if I were you I'd follow the Joel's advise and dress up your ZX-7. Then with the money you'll save by not spending it on 7R body work you can look for a used '94-'97 ZX-9R motor. A ZX-9R motor swap is really easy with a '91-'95 ZX-7. This would be a lot more bang for your buck then a 7R body swap.

I threw in a pic of the Chief kicking butt in WSBK so you can get an idea how good your ZX-7 can look.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
lawdog said:
I threw in a pic of the Chief kicking butt in WSBK so you can get an idea how good your ZX-7 can look.
what, no black eyes?:redflip

if you want the new look, sell your and get a new one. Personally I would keep the 91-95 look. :thumb

and a big +1 for the 94-97 ZX9R motor, a worthwhile swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.